• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was astounded when I read what OP was taking. I actually didn't believe the thread until I started reading the responses that it was indeed doable and he wasn't the only one.
The same way as somebody would be put on 380mg of methadone. It seems pretty impossible from a point of view that 20mg can kill some opioid naive person if they took it few days in a row. Tolerance is the name of the game and if something isn't very toxic our body can adjust to ridiculous amounts of substances. It takes a while to build it but tolerance is a saver and a bitch.

R.I.P "The Dosage" Topic.What about "Cognitive Function "?
Cognitively you’re fucked! 🤣

Just a joke. You seem to have a sense of humour about it so I don’t feel too bad about the above.

I actually don’t have the answer for you I’m afraid. Not from 100mg anyway.

Topic.What about "Cognitive Function "?
I believe you know the answer to this also. Your cognitive functions will decline. How rapidly depends on many different factors. But your biggest concern is that you will become tolerant to 100mg and will enter withdrawal even if you take 100mg every day, as your body compensates. And with this kind of dosages nobody can tell when you will start experiencing seizures. Too high of a dose to predict anything. And cognitive function is not your biggest issue. If you don't go down from that dosages you will experience grand mall seizures and few of those could take away your cognition altogether.

I would advise switching to a longer acting benzodiazepine such as diazepam/clonazepam to taper. I assume if you can come up with that much alprazolam the other ones would be doable. Calculating the dose might be tricky tho at those levels. You have to be extremely careful with benzo w/d. Also know the other benzos will build in your system faster depending on half life.

The same way as somebody would be put on 380mg of methadone. It seems pretty impossible from a point of view that 20mg can kill some opioid naive person if they took it few days in a row. Tolerance is the name of the game and if something isn't very toxic our body can adjust to ridiculous amounts of substances. It takes a while to build it but tolerance is a saver and a bitch.
Yep. The 380 that @negrogesic was on floored me too. Tolerance is indeed a big bad bitch. Takes all the fun out of doing drugs.

I would advise switching to a longer acting benzodiazepine such as diazepam/clonazepam to taper.
Strictly pragmatically talking, clonazepam would be the best benzo to crossover. It is used as an anticonvulsant at dosages up to 20mg. It is also as potent as alprazolam. Also at this kind of dosages swap shouldn't be done at once. It would be better, in my opinion, to start swaping 5-10 mg of alprazolam with same amount of clonazepam and wait a week before another 5-10mg are swapped again.

For the record, I am not giving advices but opinions. I am not certified in anything except maybe in reading about things. That certificate I gave to myself. And I am talking purely speculatively, as I have no experience with that kind of dosages. I did take 60mg of clonazepam on one occasion when I was out of the control. It is not something I am proud about but that is the extent to which I am familiar with this kind of dosages - I am not. So take my opinions with a very big suspicion. Although I am not pulling numbers from my asseither...

Prison? Huh😂.....
I think,in my life I'm pretty sober.I'm serious.
I more thought about sources of this kind of quantities and possible repercussions if caught doing something illegal. This boxes of 100 pills are either from hospital, pharmacy or from some research program. No way it is legally prescribed. But I digress...

One take away for me is about 1/2 of the posters that got to such high amounts claim that the tolerance takes forever to go back down so not sure 1 mg of alprazolam would ever work the way it did again. Others said the tolerance does go down, but not for long.
I can tell you this much: this time around I’ve noticed slight nuances with these things that I never noticed before. And I’ve never seen them mentioned in literature. Bearing in mind that the first time around I was also boozing it up and what not. Now it has only been Alprazolam (and 7.5mg Zopiclone also at night but never fucked around with this).

Weight, fitness, mood, and food affects this shit. I am (almost) sure of it.

I was WAY over my correct weight back then (as in 40kg over). Obviously not fit either. And I know that I started back then on 2mg per day and it took a reasonable amount of time to get to the 12mg per day. Point is: I know that 2mg per day back then didn’t affect me half as much as 2 mg per day now (needless to say at ideal weight now and relati

During this past year there have been times when I’ve forgotten to take the shit and nothing (no symptoms at all) the next day. But then there have been other days where I’ve felt something coming on early evening. I’ve put this down to eating, how much, and whether I’ve taken just before or just after eating, the previous evening.

In addition: I have found that an altercation with somebody (or posting in CEPS! 🤣 ) seems to bring on what could easily be misconstrued as the onset of withdrawal.

Also noticed this time around that when I started again: 1mg hit me but only for a few days. From that I gather that tolerance had dropped and gotten back to normal. But it didn’t take as long to increase this time around.

Anyway. Just some stuff I’ve been meaning to post for a while. Not of much help to the OP I know.

On topic then: I do not see any way other than tapering for the OP. It’s not a question of it didn’t work before. It simply is what it is and there is no way around it. As to how much? Because of the unbelievable dosage: cutting by half per week isn’t an option I’d say. Personally I’m not a fan of substitution. This in spite of the likes of Professor Ashton’s advice. I understand the logic i.e. Alprazolam is a bitch because of its half life and unpredictability (and which curiously, now, I think I understand given my observations above). But I got through it from 12mg per day in 0.5mg per week increments. Obviously it took a while. But cannot say as I suffered at all. I’m usually from the camp that says to not substitute one problem for another. But that’s just me. And I guess sometimes there’s no option maybe. And to go from 100mg per day in 0.5mg per week increments? Do the math. Then again: could be the only way.

In Bangladesh,it’s not Bar shape,it is small blue pill
Xanax SR brand name is also a blue pentagram shaped pill. Not so small but yeah. I remember difference between brand name Subutex 8mg and generic buprenorphine I had few times. Difference in size was times 10 (generic being smaller obviously).

Last edited by a moderator:
How you going to go to prison for alprazolam in bengladesb?!
He was not saying or implying that, I was. Don't know laws in Bangladesh but where I live being caught with that quantity could land you in prison.

In Bangladesh,it’s not Bar shape,it is small blue pill.
Same here.

Listen up. I feel for you. And I don’t envy you. And I do wish you well.

If the mood takes you: look up “The Ashton Manual”. Pretty much all you need to know there. Seriously. That’s what got me through my stint. And peaked my curiosity into these wonderful little things! 🤣

Fun fact: first time around I knew nothing about them. Only discovered what they are and what is meant by withdrawal because I ran out of pills one day and started feeling odd (putting it mildly). True story. Not sure if it is better or worse for you: but you at least know what you’re in for in the coming months.

Edit: just to add it can be done and at 0.5mg per week it’s not at all bad I promise you. Usually only the first or second day after cutting down that you feel something but it’s bearable for sure and for the rest of that week. In your case: patience and willpower is what you’re going to have to dig deep for though I’m afraid.

Last edited:
Unfortunately doctors in Bangladesh are not likely to even be educated on a more traditional taper/dosage. Feel really bad for this guy :-/ @Winter666 keep us updated, would be a good case study in general, maybe you can find an example of one in some medical journal somewhere and see how they handled it. I can't see a safe taper taking any less than a few years, but I don't know all that much about benzo dependency

Unfortunately doctors in Bangladesh are not likely to even be educated on a more traditional taper/dosage. Feel really bad for this guy :-/ @Winter666 keep us updated, would be a good case study in general, maybe you can find an example of one in some medical journal somewhere and see how they handled it. I can't see a safe taper taking any less than a few years, but I don't know all that much about benzo dependency
Here's nothing wrong with the Doctors, I just hate them.That's it.Cause they gave Lorazepam, Olanzapine, Clozapine,Valproate etc etc..... I'm not poly-user.Thank you and thanks to all.

Yeah no offense, I just haven't had the best experiences with doctors in that area who seemed clueless about many drugs

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome—often abbreviated to benzo withdrawal or BZD withdrawal —is the cluster of signs and symptoms that emerge when a person who has been taking benzodiazepines, either medically or recreationally, and has developed a physical dependence, undergoes dosage reduction or discontinuation. Development of physical dependence and the resulting withdrawal symptoms, some of which may last for years, may result from taking the medication as prescribed. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is characterized by sleep disturbance, irritability, increased tension and anxiety, panic attacks, hand tremor, shaking, sweating, difficulty with concentration, confusion and cognitive difficulty, memory problems, dry retching and nausea, weight loss, palpitations, headache, muscular pain and stiffness, a host of perceptual changes, hallucinations, seizures, psychosis,[2] and increased risk of suicide[3][4] (see "signs and symptoms" section below for full list). Further, these symptoms are notable for the manner in which they wax and wane and vary in severity from day to day or week by week instead of steadily decreasing in a straightforward monotonic manner.[5] This phenomenon is often referred to as "waves" and "windows".

Really? Peculiar.Want some proof.
My seizure-re's were unrelated to benzo WD's, Alcohol was involved but probably not the culprit so in your situation a sudden 'cold turkey' does seem likely to cause seizure's.

Where i live dr. 's wouldn't treat this pure for the fact they wouldn't believe anyone would take these dosage's.

Please treat this very sensitive and do a slow taper, the slower the better.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome—often abbreviated to benzo withdrawal or BZD withdrawal —is the cluster of signs and symptoms that emerge when a person who has been taking benzodiazepines, either medically or recreationally, and has developed a physical dependence, undergoes dosage reduction or discontinuation. Development of physical dependence and the resulting withdrawal symptoms, some of which may last for years, may result from taking the medication as prescribed. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is characterized by sleep disturbance, irritability, increased tension and anxiety, panic attacks, hand tremor, shaking, sweating, difficulty with concentration, confusion and cognitive difficulty, memory problems, dry retching and nausea, weight loss, palpitations, headache, muscular pain and stiffness, a host of perceptual changes, hallucinations, seizures, psychosis,[2] and increased risk of suicide[3][4] (see "signs and symptoms" section below for full list). Further, these symptoms are notable for the manner in which they wax and wane and vary in severity from day to day or week by week instead of steadily decreasing in a straightforward monotonic manner.[5] This phenomenon is often referred to as "waves" and "windows".

Sounds charming! 🤣

Seeing as we're making the OP's day we may as well nail it!

One unfortunate looming problem is the likelihood of depression i.e. Alprazolam has antidepressant qualities. That, I'm afraid, is something that has to be dealt with on its own. And that's another whole ballgame altogether once he's kicked this shit.

For the sake of completeness here's a link to the Ashton Manual (if I had $10 USD for every time I've posted this link... 💲 ):

Have fun! 🤣

And if I may (I'm the old sober guy remember):

You have a B.Pharm with honors @Winter666. Well done to you. Don't let it go to waste because of this shit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.