• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Alprazolam

AsiJO96

Greenlighter
Hello everybody. I have been prescribed alprazolam for my social anxiety issues. I have been taking it for 2 months daily, dose range from 0.25mg to 2.5mg/day ( depending on my anxiety levels ). It is really potent drug and it helped me a lot but it also made me very drowsy, slow and my memory and cognition was definitely impaired and i am no the only one who noticed this side effects so i stopped taking it. First 24 hours of no alprazolam was fine, no wd but today i feel quite nervous, feverish and i have strong headache. I am also quite shaky and generally i feel VERY BAD. 2,5 dcl of 4,5% beer helped a little bit but i want to ask if i should go for another script and slowly reduce my dosage over time or if the wd will be over in lets say another 48 hours ? Thanks for advice.

Imo a slow taper is always better than going off cold turkey and I guess your withdrawal won't be over in two days.

Dependency to xanax can occur within days, youre having benzo withdrawal, continue to take your medication, do not suddenly stop using it, unless under medical supervision. And do NOT drink! Talk to your doctor about your side effects, and go from there.

- Hopeless souL

Dependency to xanax can occur within days, youre having benzo withdrawal, continue to take your medication, do not suddenly stop using it, unless under medical supervision. And do NOT drink! Talk to your doctor about your side effects, and go from there.

- Hopeless souL
Benzo dependency does not of occur in days, or even weeks. I just went on a 3 week klonopin binge taking between 2-8mg a day hadn't bad any in a few days and feel fine

Benzo dependency does not of occur in days, or even weeks. I just went on a 3 week klonopin binge taking between 2-8mg a day hadn't bad any in a few days and feel fine

Yes it can. Not full blown dependency, but rebound symptoms after just a few days.
Just because you didn't have any problems doesn't mean that nobody will have problems.
I had some nasty rebound anxiety and dizziness after just taking benzos for 4 days straight (like 1mg alprazolam a day)

I said "can", not "will". Your experience may differ, however given the op's description of his symptoms, its obvious he's in wd..

- hs

Ok guys thank you for advice. Doc gave me another script for 0.5mg alpraz and also 5mg diazepam pills so i can taper off.

^ Good to hear, thats the best way to quit. Good luck bud!

- Hopeless

Keep us posted. I just tapered a few months ago, but I was on for years at high doses. I still feel a bit strange most of the time. My sleeping is also slightly impaired. Some nights I just can't sleep, and I generally get up at 5am no matter what time I went to bed. My anxiety wakes me up.

Keep us posted. I just tapered a few months ago, but I was on for years at high doses. I still feel a bit strange most of the time. My sleeping is also slightly impaired. Some nights I just can't sleep, and I generally get up at 5am no matter what time I went to bed. My anxiety wakes me up.

Did you try hydroxyzine? It really helped me withaanxiety andssleeping problems.

I have taken benzos on and off for 20 years... Mostly off. I have never found any recreation in them whatsoever but suffer from insomnia and anxiety... There was only one time I now know was withdrawals. In 2000 I was given xanax to combat the after effects of the op and for the brutal insmonia and anxiety. I took maybe .5mgs most nights for 6 months. Well when I was done with my refills I just decided I didnt need anymore. I was fine for 3 days and then on day 4, I will never forget. I travel for my job.. I had just gotten off a plane to Hartford and everything became depersonlized in a way I can not even describe. The 20 minute ride to the hotel and the hotel room was surreal to me. It was like I was watching someone going through the motions. It was frightening.. I tried to sleep and again it was like I wasnt there.. It was so scary.. It subsided over the next 2 days but left me feeling so scared. Looking back a few years later when the internet really came into being, I realized that I must have been in WDs and all the other what ifs that could have happened. These days I take benzos sparingly and for panic but never, Thank God, I experienced what I did again... Ambiem, different story... I havent touched that drug in exactly 5 years and will never again after I took an accidental overdose of 15 pills one night... You want to talk about hellish anxiety and wanting to kill yourself, try that! I discovered what I did 2 days after the fact after experiencing anxiety that I would never even wish on my worst enemy.

Hello everybody. I have been prescribed alprazolam for my social anxiety issues. I have been taking it for 2 months daily, dose range from 0.25mg to 2.5mg/day ( depending on my anxiety levels ). It is really potent drug and it helped me a lot but it also made me very drowsy, slow and my memory and cognition was definitely impaired and i am no the only one who noticed this side effects so i stopped taking it. First 24 hours of no alprazolam was fine, no wd but today i feel quite nervous, feverish and i have strong headache. I am also quite shaky and generally i feel VERY BAD. 2,5 dcl of 4,5% beer helped a little bit but i want to ask if i should go for another script and slowly reduce my dosage over time or if the wd will be over in lets say another 48 hours ? Thanks for advice.

Sounds like classic benzo withdrawal. I would try to get a longer acting benzodiazepine like Diazepam or Clonazepam (preferably Diazepam) and taper with that. Xanax is too short acting to be very efficient in terms of tapering. Do not try to 'tough it out', benzo withdrawal is similar to alcohol withdrawal, you can have seizures and die. It is very scary, and horrible. I would recommend you try to get off xanax ASAP using a long acting benzo to taper before you find yourself in a truly hellish situation (because it gets worse over time). If you feel that your anxiety is so detrimental to your quality of life and that only benzodiazepine type drugs provide you with relief, then I still urge you to switch to clonazepam or diazepam. Tolerance doesn't build up quite as fast and they're better in that with a constant dosage, you'll have a steady level of the drug in your body at all times. If you like xanax because it's fast acting, then you should probably go for diazepam over clonazepam (Valium actually peaks just as fast as xanax, IME I've always felt it come on within minutes after sublingual administration). I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted.