• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

ALL OF THE SUDDEN - Suboxone Migraines after 10 months of use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmequit

Greenlighter
Hi there everyone....

I have been taking suboxone for almost 10 months. I started at 16mg per day and now I am at 8mg per day and been on that dosage for about 5 months(slow taper from 16 to 8 and now maintainence on 8mg/day).......

A very odd thing has suddenly started occuring......

I have NEVER had side effects from suboxone except some constipation, no matter the dose...Not when I started and not until 3 weeks ago......

All of the sudden one day I was trying to score some pills (first time ever even attempting to relapse) and I couldn't find any so I just put 1 suboxone under my tounge, I usually I take about 1 TOTAL per day in about 3 doses per day.....

I had no side affects that night, but the next day I had a horrific migraine and also could not hold any food/water/beverage down(puking my brains out),this is my first ever experience of this nature, I hardly EVER, very very rarely get headaches, and only when I have a good reason, such as fever or flu....But I Do Not have any fever/flu/cold/etc.. I am completely normal and symptom free besides the headaches, no other side effects at the time...

Since that day it seems I am having bad headaches / migraines about 6 hours after I take my normal dosage of suboxone...

It seems that the more I take the worse the headaches, I have narrowed down my headaches to only be attributed to dosing with suboxone...

Does any one have any experience with ALL OF THE SUDDEN bad headaches when they are far into their treatment?

Why would I get headaches now? I have NO withdrawal symptoms, so I do not believe it is withdrawal, but I still need to take the suboxone because I am addicted to it....It boggles my mind...

Anyone have any ideas why I would just start getting headaches?

Only thing I can think of is that I am now taking too much...but I have not tapered or lowered my dosage in about 4-5 months......

I honestly feels like my doctor gave me secret fake suboxone pills with headache producing effects to see if I complained so he could tell if I was really taking my medicine, instead of possibly selling it!!! CRAZY RIGHT!! I don't really think that, but it honestly seems that way since this is so sudden and unprecedented...

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

I couldn't find anything with a Google search and I haven't used subs... see your doctor is my advice.

I see my doctor tomorrow, however I honestly don't think he knows much about these things - my appointments last roughly 10 minutes from the time I sign in, to the time I walk out the door. I was hoping some one with first hand experience might have something to share....

Yes I tried searching as well...haven't found much of anything relevant....

Thanks!

^ Ah, sorry I'm used to the situation here in Oz where general practitioners can prescribe sub, you don't have to be a sub doctor or whatever so you can go to your regular doc.

I know a lot of people talk about the naloxone in subs causing headaches, so I thought maybe since you took what was normally 3 doses all at once could have caused it, but have you been taking it as you normally were since? In three separate doses? Cause if so, then I have no idea.

yeah i've been taking it as normal, that one day was the only time i took above normal amounts...

Thanks!

Actually this used to happen to me....

Heres what someone told me and it worked...

When i put the suboxone underneath my tongue after a couple minutes after its already dissolved i spit out the remaining liquid ala nalaxone instead of swallowing it..

Never really got headaches again..

But with suboxone less is more.. 2mg is far most pleasureable effects than 8mg

Thanks Cire I appreciate your input...

How long would you hold the pills under your tounge?

I honestly hold the pills for upwards of an hour!!!!!

Maybe that is the problem? Although why now, why not before? (RHETORICAL QUESTION)

THANKS

I would also cut down the dose a bit. This happened to me for a while, and I would just take an NSAID. Naproxen worked the best for me. It was just a phase for me, I didn't make any changes and it went away after about 2 weeks.

MIKEMIKEMIKE -

Did this happen at the beggining or well into your treatment? THANKS!

I honestly cannot figure out if I am taking to much, or taking too little. It really SUXXXX!

UPDATE:

Doctor put me on subutex, and that seems to have stopped the headaches, will update in a few days with more progress! THANKS ALL!

I too got incredibly bad headaches when I was on suboxone maitanance and my doctor gave me Fioricet(Butalbital and caffeine) and maybe asprin i dont know but that worked wonders

I was going to say the naloxone is causing your headaches. I'm not sure why suddenly it happened (maybe the suboxone has repaired your receptors to the point where you're sensitized enough?). I used to get really bad headaches from suboxone too . My doctor just told me lower my dose. Assholes wouldn't prescribe me subutex.

I just got off suboxone after 3.5 years and have had migraines ever since. I get them many times a month! I sometimes take ibuprofen and Imitrex to relieve some of the pain. I don't know exactly why I get them but I'm hoping they're going to stop now that I'm off suboxone! Doctor's haven't been very helpful. MY ADVICE TO ANYONE IS TO GET OFF SUBOXONE ASAP. I was on it for way too long.

my headaches have dissapeared!!! Thanks everyone!

OK Sounds like it was due to something else.

As you keep tapering lower the idea is that you should have less side effects, not more.

Closed - you can ask these sorts of questions in the mega thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.