• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol withdrawal risk

Slash5331

Bluelighter
I have a short history of somewhat heavy drinking. I'm 20, male, and 65kg, 143 pounds. This is day 9 of my current bender, and I was sober around 2 weeks before that and mostly sober a month or so before that. Been drinking around 25-30 standard drinks each day but the last couple of days it's been more like 35. Here in New Zealand a standard drink is 10 grams of alcohol if it were pure. I haven't had withdrawal before. I'm wondering how likely it is that I'll get withdrawal this time, considering there may still be a couple more days in this bender, but maybe not. I'm also wondering how severe the withdrawals will be if I do get them and if the hospital is something I should consider seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like an awful lot. I would back your bender off by a drink or few every day. Even if you don't go into withdrawals, your shocking your brain. The slower/ less of a drop, the better.

With that kind of drinking, a hospital detox, is by far, the way to go. That would be your best, safest option.

if you were sober prior then 9 days isn't really enough for withdrawals but jesus man nonetheless i would consider a hospital given the quantities you describe.
Hopefully you can just recover with the hangover of a lifetime in your own bed and think twice next time you think about going on another binge.
Good luck

I've been through alcohol WD plenty of times. If you've never been through WD before, and you're quite young, you should be okay. Yes, you will probably have some WD, but it is very unlikely to be dangerous (i.e. delirium tremens). Though it will be unpleasant, possibly very unpleasant, and you will be much more susceptible to withdrawal in the future, even from shorter binges.

If I was you, I would check in with a doctor and get some benzos for when you stop. You don't need an inpatient detox, but you should do a home detox. My GP was happy to do this for me when I was younger and had been on a longer binge than yours. If I was your GP I would give you benzos and check in with you after a few days, and tell you to give me a call if you start to feel really bad, then you can always go to hospital. But my feeling is that this would be very unlikely. You may need a highish dose of benzos.

If you can't/don't want to do this, I would say taper off the alcohol gradually rather than stopping completely all at once.

Stopped drinking. Woke up and never had browner piss. Shaking for ages. My mum took me to the clinic and was sweating and shaking and had a mega headache. Hand was shaking too much to fill out the form. Nurse said I had withdrawal. Had some mild hallucinations on the way home. Shakes, sweats, headache all got worse. Then had a couple benzos and felt nearly normal. Staying on the benzos for a while. At this stage my second dose was only one instead of two so hopefully this won't go on for too much longer.

Yeah. Good for you it" worked out". That could have very easily been much worse. On your road to recovery, on top of a healthy amount of water and fluids, take strong doses of b vitamins. You loose those very easy from drinking as they are water soluble. Eat healthy and include other vitamins and minerals. Future episodes are generally worse on your body. Look into some general liver helping supplements as well. You beat on your entire system. Dark urine, is a sign of serious dehydration. Again, consider yourself fortunate. This was close to much worse. Please, learn your lesson now.

Why not use some help. A.A. or even a rehab if you don't work. I would also be carefull about using benzos for handling the w.d. symptoms. You don't want to just develop a new addiction, right?
I would sugest you to reduse your amounts before you totally quit drinking, but you have to be very self disiplined to quit alcoholism this way with out help, cause one drink leads to an other.
It's a good thing your familly is there to help you, though.

The benzos are being administered by my mum, a doctor. I am definitely getting help for this. 20 is too young. I have my whole life ahead of me and I'd like to live it.

The benzos are being administered by my mum, a doctor. I am definitely getting help for this. 20 is too young. I have my whole life ahead of me and I'd like to live it.

Glad to hear it. Heavy alcohol use rarely ends well. I gave up drinking 7 years ago and do not regret it, in some ways it was the best decision I ever made.