• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

First Time posting. I was curious if anybody on here has any advice on foods that can help shakes from alcohol detox? I have already been through medical detox btw.
The one thing that only helped was gabapentin and benzos.

Its almost like its started to work as a mood stabilizer of sorts :/ not good, I plan to stop soon
I use to start drinking at 7 am till 9pm sleep 2 hours than drink than after 9 smoke weed and soma..
After I turned 30 I had undiagnosed Mental health issues. I drank everyday when I turned 19 because my son died after birth and I had a bad coke habbit.

I agree with the guy saying it's very hard to get seriously physically dependent on alcohol. If you're drinking 6-8 beers a day, it's probably not something you have to worry about, at least not any time soon. I would be more worried about the negative health effects of drinking 6-8 beers a day. At worst you'll probably get some rebound effects like difficulty sleeping, anxiety and a "blah" feeling for a few days if you stop suddenly which is no big deal, if you want to stop just stop and rather than go through a horrible withdrawal you'll actually likely start feeling better within few days as you start to remember how nice it is to wake up clear headed with no hangover in the morning.

The people who have to go to detox and have seizures and delirium tremens and a major withdrawal from alcohol are usually people that drink constantly from morning til night for a long time. Having six drinks a night is/has been almost considered normal in some social circles and not even considered alcoholism. I would disagree, as there are many risks associated with that much drinking but within the world of serious drinking, it's still on the milder end of the spectrum.

Alright is best enjoyed like coffee. Maybe 1-3 units, not 7-8 cups of the stuff. Easier said than done though and I am at fault for sure.

Also why the hate on sugar? I find sugar a magical form of energy in the form of fruits and starchy veggies. Too much fruit is detrimental though and you have to figure our your own body.

For instance, fruit and sugar doesn't give me worse hangovers, but I eat low fat high carb. If anything it helps to mitigate the hangover some.

Have you tried lower alcohol content beers like Murphy's or Guinness? With your low tolerance it might be worth a shot plus they taste good unlike light beers. Basically you gotta get to the level of drunkness you like then pace yourself. Everyone is different in this way.

Hey all,

Just curious. I've been a weekend or Thursday through Saturday drinker and tend to drink like 40-50 drinks a week, mostly beer but I do drink some shots. I know obviously this is more than the recommended average and all that. I live in the Midwest and unfortunately everything here tends to revolve around alcohol. Not saying that's an excuse so i know it's not healthy, please save me lectures, I'm just being honest. I just wanted to know what amount other people that drink on here drink weekly. I tend to be a social drinker. Mostly during the week I don't want to drink due to calories, I work out and everything and take care of myself but otherwise but I like to drink. I'm 32. Just wondering in comparison to others in general?

I drink maybe 3-4 times a week at most, usually one or two weeks out of the month like that, then 1-2 times the other weeks. I drink 6-12 drinks on all of those days. Sometimes I'll go a week or even two without drinking and then drink at 7am all of a sudden. Its sporadic

Hrmmm.....
Would you like to know what is normal for a regular drinker to drink?
What amount would class you as a problematic drinker?
What amount of alcohol is safe to drink?
The answer to all those questions are totally different.....
What exactly is it you're asking?? You're obviously a bit concerned about your alcohol consumption to start this thread.

70 beers a week. Not asked but also a 1-2g Pot a week.

Hey all,

Just curious. I've been a weekend or Thursday through Saturday drinker and tend to drink like 40-50 drinks a week, mostly beer but I do drink some shots. I know obviously this is more than the recommended average and all that. I live in the Midwest and unfortunately everything here tends to revolve around alcohol. Not saying that's an excuse so i know it's not healthy, please save me lectures, I'm just being honest. I just wanted to know what amount other people that drink on here drink weekly. I tend to be a social drinker. Mostly during the week I don't want to drink due to calories, I work out and everything and take care of myself but otherwise but I like to drink. I'm 32. Just wondering in comparison to others in general?
As n3o said can you elaborate a bit?

Per my shrink any man that drinks 4 beers per day is considered an alcoholic... (2 for women! )

I drank 18 beers every day for nearly a decade and did not form any significant physical dependence.

The definition of "alcoholism" varies widely by who's asking and who's answering.

With that said you will form a psychological addiction well before full on physical dependence

Per my shrink any man that drinks 4 beers per day is considered an alcoholic... (2 for women! )

I drank 18 beers every day for nearly a decade and did not form any significant physical dependence.

The definition of "alcoholism" varies widely by who's asking and who's answering.

With that said you will form a psychological addiction well before full on physical dependence
I'm just kind of a hypochondriac so I just wonder about people's health effects from it. Trust me I know it's not good for you. Just wondering other people's perspectives

I don’t think it’s quite fair to compare a humans crying to Gods, however that remains a matter of perspective.
18 beers a day with no dependance... 😮
Maybe you ARE superhuman... 🤔

Alcohol is strange stuff. From what I can gather, it takes around ten years of heavy drinking to produce a severe physical dependence. But as you say, what is defined as 'heavy drinking' varies from person to person.

I can easily smash a bottle of vodka in a day. But when I'm skint, I can 'survive' on a couple of high strength lagers. It's very rare that I go a day without alcohol, but when I had Covid last year I didn't touch a drop for at least a week (couldn't get down the fuckin offy). No withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.

I'm just kind of a hypochondriac so I just wonder about people's health effects from it. Trust me I know it's not good for you. Just wondering other people's perspectives
Other than hangovers soon you may notice:

Various stomach issues (pain, ulcers, complete lack of appetite, constant diarrhea and cramps)

Weight gain (or weight loss which is a worse sign)

Smelly sweat and your bed smells like ass

High blood pressure

Mental issues

Low performance in life/laziness

Teeth issues

Low testosterone

... And about 100 other things

That's what I experienced daily as a heavy drinker.

I also had liver damage and stage 2 hypertension at 31

18 beers a day with no dependance... 😮
Maybe you ARE superhuman... 🤔
I think it boils down to how I rarely would day drink and would generally go 14-15hrs (sleep/work) without drinking.

The only real way to become dependent is to drink all day long (according to my experience)

Alcohol is strange stuff. From what I can gather, it takes around ten years of heavy drinking to produce a severe physical dependence. But as you say, what is defined as 'heavy drinking' varies from person to person.

I can easily smash a bottle of vodka in a day. But when I'm skint, I can 'survive' on a couple of high strength lagers. It's very rare that I go a day without alcohol, but when I had Covid last year I didn't touch a drop for at least a week (couldn't get down the fuckin offy). No withdrawal symptoms whatsoever.
Alcohol seems like one of those drugs you really need to put a lot of effort into being drunk 24/7 for years. It's actually rather difficult to maintain that level of drinking which would result in dependence.

Alcohol depdedance is no achievement... But in a sense it is... Lol IMO at least... Congrats you reached a junky High Score!

@Snafu of the Forest Half the day I'm asleep. And I don't drink all day, but close to when I'm awake. A few hours in the morning, a few in the evening. It would be better less the invega aches/pains. Alcohol helps drown those. But so would cocaine perhaps.