• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol & GABA-ergic substances

Ventrusii

Bluelighter
Sorry for any errors before they happen, I (about an hour ago) consumed 3 shots and 2.5g phenibut.

So my question is, one: how do GABA-ergic substances and alcohol interact? Does the GABA-ergic substance (henceforth GES) potentiate alcohol's induction of GABA receptors or something different that I'm just missing? And two: What does alcohol do besides induce GABA receptors to cause an euphoric effect? I know that it HAS to be something besides GABA, as phenibut doses up to about 4g cause headaches but no euphoria, and phenibut is a mild GES, like alcohol. A third question that just popped in my head, and I'm sorry for rambling, but since alcohol antagonizes NMDA receptors, couldn't it be used as a cough suppressant?

Thanks in advance guys xP

~Working towards my Bluelighter status

Phenibut does not cause headaches and has given me euphoria at 1-1.5g. It does not only affect gaba, but possibly dopamine because it provides stimulation. I say possibly because there isnt enough research done on this nootroppic. It's like all the good effects of alcohol, minus the negatives. Clear headed anti anxietymed. At 4g+ it is a strong sedative that would probably make me pass out. Under 2g you can prevent the sedation and remain functional, which is what I recommend. If you choose to use Phenibut or any gabargicic drug like pregbalin or Gabapentin to get fucked up, I guarantee you will also fuck up your tolerance and use for this drug. They are meant to take away anxiety without compromising focus, so perfect for at a job interview for example. Unlike benzos or alcohol, Nobody will be able to tell that you are on "something"

Last edited:
So you're telling me that if I take say, 2-3g Phenibut and maybe one 800mg Gabapentin dose (with the proper procedures for potentiating the effects), I will have more anxiolytic action and more focus than say, taking just the phenibut? I'll have to try this some time. I have about 64g left of gabapentin that's been sitting around for a long while because I've never found any use for it at doses even up to 3.6g, with proper dosing regiments (fatty snack with a ~200mg dose every 15-20 minutes and naproxen due to anecdotal reports). I'll try it tomorrow, and if anything good should come of it, I'll post another thread detailing my endeavors.

Last edited:
Sorry for any errors before they happen, I (about an hour ago) consumed 3 shots and 2.5g phenibut.

So my question is, one: how do GABA-ergic substances and alcohol interact? Does the GABA-ergic substance (henceforth GES) potentiate alcohol's induction of GABA receptors or something different that I'm just missing? And two: What does alcohol do besides induce GABA receptors to cause an euphoric effect? I know that it HAS to be something besides GABA, as phenibut doses up to about 4g cause headaches but no euphoria, and phenibut is a mild GES, like alcohol. A third question that just popped in my head, and I'm sorry for rambling, but since alcohol antagonizes NMDA receptors, couldn't it be used as a cough suppressant?

Thanks in advance guys xP

~Working towards my Bluelighter status
1. GABA ergic substances will synergise with alcohol.
https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_20020225/koob2.html
Alcohol is believed to mimic GABA's effect in the brain, binding to GABA receptors and inhibiting neuronal signaling.
in other words alcohol binds to the GABA receptor and opens it on its own, without GABA actually binding to the receptor. Throw in something like a benzo, Wikipedia
benzodiazepine binding acts as a positive allosteric modulator by increasing the total conduction of chloride ions across the neuronal cell membrane when GABA is already bound to its receptor.
so alcohol mimics GABA and thus opens the ion channel on it's own and benzos increase the influx of chloride ions potentiating the effects even more.
As an example normally GABA would bind to a receptor -> influx of 10 chloride ions
You now drink alcohol -> alcohol binds to receptor -> influx of 10 chloride ions
You now take a benzo -> influx of 20 chloride ions
So all in all you have an influx of 40 instead of 10 chloride ions

2. Nobody really knows, common hypotheses are binding to GABA, serotonin, dopamin and NMDA receptors

2) One of the reasons for the ephoric effects is because alcohol stimulates the production of dopamin and endorphins.

Can't help with the other questions.

Last edited:
Phenibut does not cause headaches and has given me euphoria at 1-1.5g. It does not only affect gaba, but possibly dopamine because it provides stimulation. I say possibly because there isnt enough research done on this nootroppic. It's like all the good effects of alcohol, minus the negatives. Clear headed anti anxietymed. At 4g+ it is a strong sedative that would probably make me pass out. Under 2g you can prevent the sedation and remain functional, which is what I recommend. If you choose to use Phenibut or any gabargicic drug like pregbalin or Gabapentin to get fucked up, I guarantee you will also fuck up your tolerance and use for this drug. They are meant to take away anxiety without compromising focus, so perfect for at a job interview for example. Unlike benzos or alcohol, Nobody will be able to tell that you are on "something"

But you only meant they can't tell at LOW doses right??

Cause at high doses I think they can.

I know that I start staggering a bit when I take higher doses in the upper 3,000s though I don't go above 4,000mgs ever but I find I can tolerate high doses better than some people.

I was given a dirty look by some asshole at a gas station the other day while on a high dose of Phenibut who I think could tell I was on something.

But fuck him, it's legal and he reeked of cigarettes which, while socially acceptable, will be MUCH more likely to kill him.

So he can have his heart and lung killing cancerous cigs which don't get him high and I'll take the drug which probably won't' kill me when used in moderation which DOES get me high thank you hahaha.

He was also scratching off a lottery ticket, another socially acceptable "addiction".

It's all about how socially acceptable our addictions are.

If it's alcohol, cigs, coffee or gambling you are good to go.

Anything else you are junkie.