• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol and the stomach

burn out

Bluelighter
Years ago I remember reading on here that alcohol erodes the gastric mucosa and this is actually one of its biggest flaws as a drug. The same post said it was necessary to take breaks from alcohol to allow the mucosa to regrow.

This seems to be true in my case as for the past 6 or 7 months I have been drinking whiskey nearly every day. Not an excessive amount or anything, just about 2-3 ounces per day which is within the government recommended limits. I notice that now my stomach doesn't feel as healthy as it used to. It feels sour some of the time and my apatite isn't as good. I believe this is due to the whiskey eroding the mucosa and I need a break. How long a break should I take to allow the mucosa to regenerate? Even though it's such a small amount, I find it difficult to stop drinking whiskey every day.

Years ago I remember reading on here that alcohol erodes the gastric mucosa and this is actually one of its biggest flaws as a drug. The same post said it was necessary to take breaks from alcohol to allow the mucosa to regrow.

This seems to be true in my case as for the past 6 or 7 months I have been drinking whiskey nearly every day. Not an excessive amount or anything, just about 2-3 ounces per day which is within the government recommended limits. I notice that now my stomach doesn't feel as healthy as it used to. It feels sour some of the time and my apatite isn't as good. I believe this is due to the whiskey eroding the mucosa and I need a break. How long a break should I take to allow the mucosa to regenerate? Even though it's such a small amount, I find it difficult to stop drinking whiskey every day.

Depends how bad Mucosa is damaged and how good your self healing is. But normally in a few days it should be fine again. So one week should be enough and avoid spices. You should check that it doesn't come from a bacterial infection (doctor).
Also switch to beer, if you want to drink alcohol. This is the most "harmless" form to consume alcohol.

Edit: You can also take Protonix, that reduces the acid in your stomach and so it is faster healing. May be you can Natriumbicarbonate as a replacement. And avoid eating to much, use light food and drink Camomile tea, to support the healing.
Edit2: It should be clear that coffee is not allowed now.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for your response. I can't drink beer or wine at all, both of those drinks make me feel quite ill. Hard liquor is the only way I can consume alcohol, it's a much purer buzz. I believe the distillation process removes some by products of fermentation that are left over in beer and wine that don't agree with me. Besides, I enjoy the taste of good whiskey, especially Wild Turkey 101 which is what I mostly drink. I also eat a lot of spicy food which I think makes matters worse.

I can't drink beer or wine at all, both of those drinks make me feel quite ill.
Ill? Okay if you drink a lot then it is understandable. But ill, after a couple drinks? Explain please!

I also eat a lot of spicy food which I think makes matters worse.
You do not have to think about it, it makes it worse definitely :)
Spices an liquor are (beside stress and a bacterial infection) one of the main causative agents when it comes to attacking the gastric mucosa.

I dunno why they make me feel ill , but I am guessing it has something to do with my health problems. I have had 2 brain injuries and recently developed psychoses, so I am very sensitive to things. When I drink beer I get very bloated, lethargic and psychotic feeling even from just drinking one. I can drink about 1/4th bottle of beer any more than that is dangerous for me. But I can drink whiskey without issue.

^ sorry to hear about your brain dude, as someone else who has brain damage i'm curious as to how you feel your own injuries have affected your drinking; specifically your stomach?

I don't think the brain injuries have effected my stomach much, I just have a sensitive stomach and drinking every day doesn't really agree with me. As for how they effected my drinking, they made it so I can't drink large amounts because it gets my brain too out of whack so I tend to drink small amounts more regularly (not that I would be drinking large amounts had I not had the injuries, I don't like hangovers but I am just saying drinking a lot is out of the question now) I probably wouldn't drink much if I had a healthier brain but right now it's one of the only things that numbs the pain, which is why I drink every day. I used to always prefer weed to alcohol and would rarely drink. When I was smoking weed, a pint of whiskey used to last me 2 or 3 months, now it lasts me 4-5 days. But it's also the psychoses effecting me, I had the brain injuries first and then developed psychoses. Having an injured brain made it easier for me to develop psychoses but there was a lot of other stuff that happened that lead to my psychoses, which is why I don't go into it. But smoking weed with psychoses is hell on earth, so I immediately stopped smoking weed and began drinking whiskey instead.

Whiskey is the only thing I have found that eases the pain of the psychoses a little bit, if I drink the proper amount. Beer and wine only make it worse and so does rum for some reason. But I can drink whiskey, brandy, vodka or gin and I mainly drink whiskey because I love bourbon and consider it superior to all other liquors.

Last edited: