• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids After CWE is it possible to remove caffeine ?

doubleheadedeagle

Bluelighter
The last time I did a CWE on some pills, I ended with very large amounts of caffeine, 40 pill with 50 mg caffeine, and it made me paranoid and anxious all night, it felt like I was having a heart attack.

I have read and searched many threads about CWE but none of them explains how to remove caffeine from the end product, and with the caffeine in it and in such large quantities it really becomes a problem.

So are there methods that we can use at home to remove the caffeine from the codeine solution?
And if someone can suggest any easy method of doing extractions on such large amounts of pills 40-70 pill ?

use 50 ml of water and do 10 washes on 200 tabs. reuse the water each time for a stronger potency. The caffeine will saturate but the codeine wont

^That's the only method I've read about in the past that seems as though it could hypothetically work, OP.
I tried it myself in the past and didn't notice all that much of a difference, but I likely used too much water.
I've heard of Brita filter techniques, and syringes plugged with filter-material, but if memory serves me people who knew what they were talking about disproved the validity of each.
(Though if someone managed to make either of them work without losing all the codeine, that's awesome.)

50mg caffeine per pill, though?? Weird
I haven't seen them in concentrations over 15mg per pill (though I'm located in Canada, so...?), and even that dose becomes unpleasant and problematic if using more than 50 tabs (@ 8mg codeine each)
I've found taking a low dose (50mg) of diphenhydramine thirty minutes prior to drinking the Bitter Drink can help with the caffeine jitters, though this might be psychosomatic. Low doses of booze (a beer or two) or Etizolam (1-2mg) really help, I ime, but mixing downers is dumb and I'm dumb for doing it.
(But yo, fuck the feeling of 600+mg of caffeine schlurping into your stomach at once. Shudder.)

use 50 ml of water and do 10 washes on 200 tabs. reuse the water each time for a stronger potency. The caffeine will saturate but the codeine wont

That's correct, codeine's water solubility is 1g / 2.3 ml, so you're not actually going to saturate it.
Caffeine's solubility, on the other hand is 16 mg/ml at room temperature.
If you keep increasing the solution's concentration, you'll eventually get rid of most of the caffeine.

At 0 degrees celcius (32 farenheit), ice cold water, caffeine is soluble at 600mg per 100ml of water.

Perform your extraction on a large amounts of pills. Reduce total volume of liquid by placing it in a simmering hot water bath (so on the stove top, use the lowest setting for your water bath, and then put the cwe in a second pot within that water bath)

Reduce to 25-50ml.

Put final solution in the fridge and agitate constantly. The caffeine in 25-50ml of water from a large cwe procedure will be very super saturated in the water. By cooling and agitating in fridge, caffeine crystals will begin to precipitate out until you basically go from a clear solution to a milky slurry. Filter out the precipitated caffeine, and then repeat this step. You can add a small amount of the slurry to your filtered solution again to jump start the caffeine recrystalizing process as it precipitates out. You may also be able to use a small portion of a crushed caffeine pill to do this.

Say you used 200, 8mg codeine pills with 15mg caffeine each.

Your solution should have 1600mg of codeine and 3000mg of caffeine when you begin.

After you agitate it in the fridge for a few hours, and precipitate out the caffeine and filter it several times, you should end up with a solution that is roughly 1600mg of codeine and 150-300mg of caffeine, depending on if your solution was initially reduced in the water bath to 25ml or 50ml.

Last edited:
If your wondering about caffeine I'm gonna make an educated guess that your in the uk possibly doing a CWE on solpadiene. If this is the case then please don't, I've read in other threads about the paracetamol being binded to more soluble ingredients making it dangerous.

But hey this is just a guess as to what your using, good luck and please just get some pills without caffeine.

I've read that activated charcoal filters (such as a brita water filter) can remove some of the caffeine from a CWE solution.
I've no idea how effective it is, i've never done it.
May be worth passing it through one as another step in the process described above?

I've read that activated charcoal filters (such as a brita water filter) can remove some of the caffeine from a CWE solution.
I've no idea how effective it is, i've never done it.
May be worth passing it through one as another step in the process described above?

I can't vouch for the validity of his process, as I was not present at the time, but a good friend of mine who is normally pretty intelligent and capable with drugs/extraction processes tried this and found that it removed most, if not all, of the codeine. Seen other anecdotal evidence on the internet stating the same thing, but it usually seemed to be hypothetical?
By no means saying it isn't worth a try, just thought it was worth mentioning :)