• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc advice wanted please

foolsgold

Bluelighter
right the doctor has me on propranolol whats safe whats not cheers

It is safe to use your medication as directed and inform your physician/pharmacist of any other drugs you may be taking, so that as medical professionals they can ensure they aren't harming you.

Propranolol is a beta blocker usually used for hypertension whereas benzodiazepines are usually used for anxiety or occasionally for epilepsy or a muscle relaxer. Unless you tend to have low blood pressure it shouldn't be harmful to take them together as long as you are taking them as prescribed. If you're worried just don't take them together, wait an hour between the two and for peace of mind you can check with your doctor or pharmacist. But I used to be on propranolol and xanax together...also was on valium and metaprolol together...no problems.

Propranolol is a beta blocker usually used for hypertension whereas benzodiazepines are usually used for anxiety or occasionally for epilepsy or a muscle relaxer. Unless you tend to have low blood pressure it shouldn't be harmful to take them together as long as you are taking them as prescribed. If you're worried just don't take them together, wait an hour between the two and for peace of mind you can check with your doctor or pharmacist. But I used to be on propranolol and xanax together...also was on valium and metaprolol together...no problems.

nice one thank you :)

Beta blockers can cause low blood pressure.

I, myself, am on Guanfacine.. I do have slightly low blood pressure w/o gaunfacine but it hasn't effected me negatively thankfully.

I was also wondering if you would get respiratory failure much easier because of the fact it lowers your blood pressure? (i.e.- using opiates or benzos)

It depends on the person elderly people seem to be more sensitive to this sort of thing, but yea when I said hypertension I was referring to high blood pressure.

oh benzodiazepines like librium valium and ativan are used sometimes for delirium tremens associated with severe alcohol withdrawal

Last edited:
until you know how much the propranolol will affect your BP, it's best to stay away from benzodiazepines, muscle relaxers, opiates, and any other medications/drugs that may lower your BP (also anticholinergics like diphenhydramine)

I'm on it though, and I really don't have any problem.