Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Advice on boyfriend quitting weed?

RaverBaby2004

Bluelighter
Boyfriend

hi i been going out with my boyfriend for about 6months and he had decided he would like to quite weed.. he has been doing it daily for about 3 years... IM finding it really hard to cope with his mood swings and the way he is looking at life.. I love him dearly and i just wanna do all i can for him to help him..

Is dere anything i can do?
Any suggestions

thanks

hello, howz ya
i been smokin weed everyday for about 8 years i quit about 2 months ago, yes i agree its fukin hard and i can imagine its worse for the other person (you) all u can do is hang in there and be extra nice or stay away when you no when pretend he is right a few times then slowly lay down the law :) i started again :0 hehe well not started i smoke on sundays now to help sleep you no :).
give it a month max max max after a month dump is ass becuase hes prolly a cunt anyway
i dont no if this will help but your boyfriend is very touchy at the moment just tread carefully

I don't know how much you can do personally...maybe just try to get him involved in some positive activities, like exercising together or something like that.

Here's a few threads on quitting which may be helpful...

[MEGA] Cannabis Cessation Support Thread

How hard is quitting?

Tips on quitting weed

You could also have a look through the cannabis forum for more info.

Just for future reference, you may want to give your threads more of a descriptive title - helps when people flick through the forum quickly to know what it's about :)

Good luck with it!

Try get him to smoke weed witout the tobacco mix for a while first he is probably more addicted to the nicotine than the pot.

Just stick with it, if things are not going his way try to suport him as this is a common time/mind state for a relapse. Also try to think about the great improvement it will be when he stops smoking regularly. I have been through that many times and once your clean your outlook improves so much and he will be a real pleasure to be around. So try to keep an eye on the positives to help you through the hard times.

If he can afford it sugest "Sam-E" from any pharmacy, it may improve his moods and make them more stable. It may also help him get to sleep on those _many_ nights of insomia from not smokeing

well now u know what us blokes have to go through every month =D heh

ok back on topic, i think maybe u guys should take a hobby up together? something that u can both do, thats fun. itd be good for him quitting and good for the r/ship :)

i quit a month ago after alsmot ten years of brekky bongs etc etc. Not too hard once u have decided its time, i feel it actually left me not the other way around. didnt have withdrawals like every other time ive tried.
i think my biggest problem trying to quit in the past was that my girl was trying to make me do it, and at the same time i resented her for that, and as soon as i could sneak a bong in i would. It was only when i had decided i was sick of the mood swings and waking up half bent going to work in a daze that i actually was able to master my addiction.

If you search in Health Q & A you should find more old threads on this topic too.

I reckon the first week is the hardest. After that, I didnt even have an urge to smoke it, even though it was ALWAYS around me.

I dont use tobacco either (THAT IS RANK)

katmeow said:
I don't know how much you can do personally...maybe just try to get him involved in some positive activities, like exercising together or something like that.

yep, exercise is an excellent idea. i eventually quit after four years (and at least two dozen failed attempts) after substituting the high from pot with the natural high from running.

sounds crazy but it worked. and i began to feel emotions again! whohoo!

Yeah, you get better REALLY quick, within weeks not days.

quitting weed is awful, personally i was waking up in cold sweats for about a week.

after that it gets much better.

If he is really ready to quit then he will. My g/f has tried having me quit lots of times but the times i actually do stop smoking for any period of time are not when she has asked me but when ive woken up and decided that i was over it and ive got too much shit on my plate to try and juggle smoking aswell. For the first week you need lots of things to do to take your mind off things, lots of things to do and talk about. Get involved in what he wants to do, it will make it easyer on everyone. If hes anything like me, when he has been off weed for a few days he will feel so good that he'll wonder why he ever smoked in the first place. Allthough in my case i keep going back eventually.

Quitting.....

How often does he smoke? and how much per week 1/2, 1, 2 or whatever ounces?

Does he Smoke brekkie Bongs?

Does he work/Study?

Is ALL of his mates smoke weed heavy and often like your boyfriend?

Maybe you should encourage him to start tampering off... slowly cutting down... start off by not have any brekkie cones... for period of time, then next step, start to stop having Lunchtime bongs for period of time, or cut down to the number of days like every 2-3rd days to have lunchtime bongs.... then take the next step hold off until late afternoons or dinner time or after dinner/before bed....then next step have it few nights a week... then next step.... have it on weekends....

Just take the cutting down one step a time....rather than stop completely

Otherwise if it all fails and you get sick of his mood swings... just leave him and find someone else to take care of you. =D

There's so many different ways of cutting down/quitting it's all depends on the user's environment and social circles.

Don't just give up cold turkey, get some domania (legal smoking herb) and slowly add domania instead of tobacco, then you will naturally smoke less and quitting is not a problem.

Erm... in my opinion, I would have to say that slowly "tapering down" from smoking weed is probably one of the worse ways of doing it. If he does this, I don't think he will ever find the motivation to quit.

It's really only drugs like Benzodiazapenes, Alcohol, Anti-depressants and if you have a raging Heroin addiction, maybe, MAYBE Heroin... that are dangerous to abruptly quit on the spot like that.

Your boyfriend may experience mild withdrawals (or mild compared to other drugs).
He may experience the following (depending on how often and how LONG he has been smoking):-
Insomnia, anxiety, immense boredom, mild irritability, amotivation (lack of motivation).

He'll probably want to spend the first couple of days home not doing anything, because he'll feel weird feeling so clear-headed out in public. But, it definately pays off in the long run and the mild withdrawals won't kill him... unless he's "stinging" that bad for a bong, he decides to just give up and go to his dealers, and is that anxious, he runs in front of a truck without looking.

Best of luck for you and your boyfriend... and if he doesn't quit, don't go dumping him (I got dumped for being a "bonghead" when I was younger, and as a result, I just "hit the pipe" more often.)

you can go to a naturoapath, pick him up inkephalen.
that'll soften the mood and withdrawal symptoms.
also herbal sleeping aid valerian is hopeless as a sleeping pill but does give you that not so alert feeling that some smokers crave.

Cactii said:
i quit a month ago after alsmot ten years of brekky bongs etc etc. Not too hard once u have decided its time, i feel it actually left me not the other way around. didnt have withdrawals like every other time ive tried.
i think my biggest problem trying to quit in the past was that my girl was trying to make me do it, and at the same time i resented her for that, and as soon as i could sneak a bong in i would. It was only when i had decided i was sick of the mood swings and waking up half bent going to work in a daze that i actually was able to master my addiction.

I can so relate to everything in that post. I've given up for 3 months after 18 years of chronic all day everyday smoking. I too actually found it easy this time to stop..other times i'd sneak cones in or reward myself for having a few days off. The number one thing is your boyfriend must want to stop himself..you cannot force him.

Tapering off never worked for me..it would just make me continue the cycle of cones.To put this into perspective..i've never spent a cent on weed..always grew my own so supply was never an issue..it was always around.

If he does stop he will begin to feel better after a week, and back to normal after a month. Myself, i'll never go back to it..now the haze has lifted my self confidence has returned, i'm dreaming again properly, mood swings have stopped, my weight has dropped (not that i was fat..but you'd be suprised how much more you eat when you choof all day) and my life in general has improved. I experienced no real withdrawl symptoms..only a bit hard to sleep the first few nights.

The best thing you can do is provide positive support.

Cheers
Cruiser1