• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

advertising

I agree with Muzby here, the one form of advertising that really annoys me is spam and telemarketers.

I work as a receptionist in an office and am constantly bombarded with spam faxes, emails and calls from telemarketers trying to sell me telephones and print cartridges... Its a waste of my time and I have started letting the telemarketers know that (even though I do realise that they are just doing their job)

I can handle (even ignore) most other forms of advertising I just find the above kind invasive and pushy

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
YVAN EHT NIOJ

hehe :)

I know that whenever i see a Metamucil ad on television...i have an uncontrollable urge to go bike-riding!!!??=D ;)

samadhi said:
hehe :)

I know that whenever i see a Metamucil ad on television...i have an uncontrollable urge to go bike-riding!!!??=D ;)

No shit?

*GRIN*

I umm found myself buying tampons so that i could be active and ride horses and stuff but it didn't work.. i'm still a lazy bastard..:\

Any luck with the Metamucil samadhi?

Solipsist said:
Products I boycott as a result of shitty ads:
- Sultana Bran
- Carpet Court
- Nicobate... or Nicorette... whichever one has the woman in labour in awe of her non-smoking husband

- Anything Channel 10 hypes

- Coles (fuck, I hate Lisa McCune)

Word my nigga

i think with certain ads, getting such angry responses is just what the advertiser wants!

i'm fascinated with the advertising world myself, mostly because it is such a huge part of our lives. you'd have to be living out in the stix with no radio or tv to be completely free from it. and i deconstruct ads too! especially the really good ones.

when it comes to direct marketing and spam...well i dont get much spam or any pop ups. and so far no one has come knocking at my door. though i did work in marketing in the past. it lasted three days it was that bad. they had me going door to door at industrial estates in Lilydale, trying to sell singing snowmen and $5 make-up kits. the surprising this is, that this form of marketing does work. but in a way which you are taught to decieve the customer and not let them get a thought in edgeways.
it was totally against my nature and i couldnt fool people into buying junk. plus, i was intruding on ppl working. i didnt know how ppl could take me seriously! guess thats why i didnt last long.

you could argue that the general principles behind all forms of advertising and marketing are the same...but like someone mentioned before, with tv, radio and print, you have the choice to ignore it.

Carbine said:
oh please! Advertising affects you subconsciously? Advertising is the catalyst for evil?? HAHAHHAHAHHA you guys make me laugh.

Seriously, that's like saying drugs CAUSE people to do bad things. Hundeds of tests have been done in this field and not one has brought up a scrap of evidence that advertising causes subconscious reactions.

The only thing that CAUSES anyone to do something is their weak personality...

(Personally, I love communications. It's interesting to see how it's evolved over time and adapted to changing society etc)

well actually the evil that i was referring to was people becoming bigger consumer whores and making this society more greedy, selfish and materilalistic which in turn makes a bigger gap in the social class structure but what the hell do i know?

I like being a "consumer whore". Stuff rules! Long live stuff! :D

preacha said:
i couldnt care less, since i was born with a wonderful gift called "making up your own mind"

if you let advertising affect you, fine
if you dont let it affect you, fine
I agree totally, although I feel that in the society in which we live today it's becoming hard for one to not become engulfed by advertising.
It's everywhere and in most peoples lives (i'm sorry to say) plays a great role in a persons ability to define 'who they are'.
It's sad but true.
:\
FUCK CAPITALISM... sorry, I don't really mean that, although it's easy to blame something for all our problems.
:( :)
Stay Free (ultra thin tampons =D) from the shackles of our corporate world.
PEACE

Note: Oh yeah, the new Crown Lager ads are fucking awesome.
I feel no need for one during or after the course of the ad... I just think it's cool.
=D
PEACE

anna! said:
I like being a "consumer whore". Stuff rules! Long live stuff! :D

As much as the left-wing uni student part of me (Arts student, at that) feels like I should be fighting against the oppressive, bourgeois, capitalist system.........

... I really do like buying stuff.

Wazza: No, not enough... ;):D

Ozbreaker... Yeah, it's great...you know, because I couldn't tell my friends that i can't go bikeriding because i'm constipated...they'd say: "Take a pill"...what, take a laxative and hope it doesn't hit me "real sudden"? (wankish chuckle)... =D

As a side note, I bought Carefree Tampons because i had no fridends, and though that suddenely i would be transported to the beach with 10 of my "best girl-friends". We'd start throwing a beachball around, singing: "oooh i'm feelin' freeeee, to be just what i wanna beeeeeee...oooooohhhhhh!" ;). I also think that tampons only have that magical ability to make you active if you insert them into your vagina...otherwise, it doesn't work. ;)

Oh and those Sultana Bran ads suck. I hope my children punch me in the breast if i start singing about cereal.

Last edited:
doofqueen: I agree, consumerism is a problem to an extent. But advertising is rarely responsible for it. Advertising tends to be on the tail end of company activities. The ones making the big strategic decisions are way way up the corporate tree. Advertising just translates these into a form the everyday peson can understand. Hmmmm think about it: Accounting...finance...R&D...there's a whole myriad of units in the corporate chain you can allocate blame to if you really want. You shouldn't give advertising so much credit for being evil!!! ;)

Besides, without possessions, what else is there to aim for in life??? Happiness? (without 'things'?? I dont' think so!) Love? (non-existent) health? (personally, i'd rather die young and rich).

anna! said:

And there's an ad for Lean Cuisine that goes "Only eat good fats, don't eat bad fats! Have small meals, don't eat large meals! Get a tan, stay out of the sun! Don't get too fat, don't get too thin!" in reference to being healthy being hard to understand. But like, the first half of the ad describes what you should do, and then says what you shouldn't do. The second half gives two contradicting ideas. WHY? Why not make the ad consistent? Didn't you watch it before you put it on TV and think 'hang on, that doesn't make a lot of sense'?

thanks for asking anna as I actually wrote this ad. ;)
It's basically in two halves. The first telling you all this contradicting advice regarding looking after yourself and the second half saying that with these meals it at least makes one decision easy. It was as simple as that. Unfortunately the message was a bit lost on you and you also thought the ad was for Lean Cuisine and it wasn't (that's the opposition) so I haven't done my job on two counts. Just goes to show that advertising is a subjective medium.

As for advertising in general I reckon most of it is utter garbage but unfortunately is a necessary part of today's media. As for turning people into consumer whores, it does contribute to that, but the issue of freedom of choice wins out IMO. You choose how to live your life, who you listen to, how you act, what you buy, how much you are allowed to be pressured. I agreee the intrusive forms of advertising such as home calls and spam should be banned as they are an out and out incasion on one's privacy.

Wow, it's really not for Lean Cuisine? Is it for Healthy Choice? :\

I hope I didn't tread on any toes! But to be honest, I quite like frozen dinners (as one does when one has little people to look after and has no time! ;)) so please do take what I said with more of a "constructive criticism" approach - I'm the sort of person the ad is targeted at and I didn't get it, I'm sure it's important to make note of that sort of thing? Obviously I gave my feedback for the ad before I knew that someone on this forum had written it and it's honest feedback, so I hope you don't feel like I was attacking you and your marketing prowess personally :\

Gawd, is my face red. heh. I'm sorry! I'm a jerk!

haha that's hilarious. Don't be embarassed! I cop shit all the time in my job and this kind of feedback is great. It lets me know what people really think....just like this whole thread. ;)

samadhi said:
As a side note, I bought Carefree Tampons because i had no fridends, and though that suddenely i would be transported to the beach with 10 of my "best girl-friends". We'd start throwing a beachball around, singing: "oooh i'm feelin' freeeee, to be just what i wanna beeeeeee...oooooohhhhhh!" ;). I also think that tampons only have that magical ability to make you active if you insert them into your vagina...otherwise, it doesn't work. ;)
[/B]

Oh... vagina.. :\ i think i see my problem now..

On the thread of advertising i find listening to any amount of commercial radio makes me feel stupider and talked down to in the most patronising, moronic and condescending way possible.

I believe MANY MANY ad's contain subliminal messages.

Example1: My fella and I could be totally immersed in a conversation and then some stupid ad comes on and he just zones into the TV.. nothing I say will get his attention until I whack him..

Example2: A little 4 year old mate of mind was showing me her new birthday presents and was pretty excited about it. She walked into her room (where the TV is ALWAYS on) and just as she started to ask me a question, she ZONED into a Spray and Wipe ad... wonder if she'll be asking Mummy to get that next time they're at the supermarket??

I fuckin hate subliminal advertising, but I love the creative element of a well structured and though out ad.

Love hate relationship I guess.

Solipsist said:
Products I boycott as a result of shitty ads:
- Sultana Bran
- Carpet Court
- Nicobate... or Nicorette... whichever one has the woman in labour in awe of her non-smoking husband
- HCF (that lady has some indefinable quality that shits me)
- Anything Channel 10 hypes

I'm positive there are many more, but my mind is being a stupidhead and I can't think of any.

Products I wish I could boycott as a result of their shitty ads:
- Virgin Mobile
- Coles (fuck, I hate Lisa McCune)

I agree with you on everything except....I work for Virgin Mobile. :( And while I thought the whole Ming Mong thing was more Mong Mong than anything else, I think Warren and 5CENT are really clever silly ways to get your product out there. And uniquely Australian in Warren's case at least. But you know, I work for 'em,so I kind of have to say that....and diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, all of that.

But that Nico-whatever ad with the in-labor woman...man, I want her to just rip her husband's nuts off!!! What is this, 1950??? She's thinking about him while she's in copious amounts of pain giving birth????? PLEASE.

nickthecheese gets an honorable mention too. Everyone gets pissed off about telemarketing, but please try to bear in mind that the people who do it are just trying to make ends meet. There's a polite way and a not polite way to deal with them. Trust me, I used to do it, and if someone nicely told me they wanted to be removed from any mailing lists, I would gladly do it. But generally speaking, it's not a good idea to give attitude to someone who has your name and address and is working in a job they hate where they need some kind of stress relief.... ;)