• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Misc Additives in tobacco - how much more unhealthy

the_void

Bluelighter
Tobacco smokers often think tobacco is a plant so it cant be bad for health, and the ONLY reason is cuz of addtitives

this cant be true as nicotine is an insecticide. Furthermore, if a health-neutral tobacco product via no-additives could be created, tobacco companies would jump all over it

how much more damaging are these additives ?

the_void

Bluelighter
So dangerous that they are stopping the sale of menthol cigs in my area soon
They’ve already banned that in my area.

Flavored cigs could make the product more marketable, appealing, and in turn more addictive.

that’s NOT what im talking about. How damaging are tobacco additives for health

DeathIndustrial88

Bluelighter
Good question.

There is a "no additives added" tobacco already & it's incredibly cheaper than commercial cigarettes.

As an avid cigarette smoker, I find that there is something lacking in the 'natural' 'pipe tobacco' that gets used for rolling. Just something about it doesn't fully satisfy me.
Also it drys out my throat more and feels even worse on my lungs than some cigarettes do.

So my question would be, not only how dangerous are these additives, but what else is in a commercial cigarette that makes it more satisfying/appealing/addictive? (general question for anyone who might scroll past it)

I know there are thousands of chemicals in commercial cigarettes, including things like chocolate, chamomile, etc.. & lots of bad things as well. But which one of these chemicals makes the commercial cigarettes feel/taste better (which I know is probably subjective)? If they were the same, then I'd be saving a lot of money rolling my own, but I just can't jive or feel satisfied with a rolled one unless it's all I have...So there's obviously something else at play here, as my body/mind still crave that "brand name" cigarette.

PS I don't know any tobacco smokers who think it's good for them because it's a plant. lol

Last edited:

6am-64-14m

Bluelight Crew
Following this as I have a lot of shit jugglin atm but will come back around.

edit: one of the mods made a thread about menthol and its properties (fairly expansive) and my first thought was "newpot, kool, etc"
edit2: damn i cannot find that thread and mod changed name again I think :shrug:
edit3:
here it is

Last edited:

F.U.B.A.R.

Sr. Moderator: BDD, OD, EADD, LAVA
Staff member
As I understand it, the difference between rolling tobacco and ready rolled cigarettes is that the ready rolleds are usually comprised of all the stuff that is too shit for hand rolling tobacco, it's not been cured properly - just dried out then other chemicals added to make it burn consistently. Some of these other chemicals are mild maois which enhance the rather short lived dopamine hit that nicotine affords.

I habitually smoke rolling tobacco, but the only way I can get that nicotine hit is to not smoke for 12 hours then smoke a ready rolled. If I smoke a roll up instead, there is no perceivable hit, though it does satisfy my cravings.

DeathIndustrial88

Bluelighter
As I understand it, the difference between rolling tobacco and ready rolled cigarettes is that the ready rolleds are usually comprised of all the stuff that is too shit for hand rolling tobacco, it's not been cured properly - just dried out then other chemicals added to make it burn consistently. Some of these other chemicals are mild maois which enhance the rather short lived dopamine hit that nicotine affords.

I habitually smoke rolling tobacco, but the only way I can get that nicotine hit is to not smoke for 12 hours then smoke a ready rolled. If I smoke a roll up instead, there is no perceivable hit, though it does satisfy my cravings.
Very insightful. Makes sense actually. Thank you!

F.U.B.A.R.

Staff member
Great thAnks everyone

so before all these additives were added were there less health problems historically

Hard to say, but I personally feel that hand rolling tobacco is less harmful than the ready rolleds. I can't smoke many ready rolled fags without feeling my airways have been raped. Plus there's the fact that cigarettes have the tobacco packed so tightly that you're smoking around three times as much in one cigarette as you would in one roll up.

They're all bad though...

the_void

Bluelighter
Hard to say, but I personally feel that hand rolling tobacco is less harmful than the ready rolleds. I can't smoke many ready rolled fags without feeling my airways have been raped. Plus there's the fact that cigarettes have the tobacco packed so tightly that you're smoking around three times as much in one cigarette as you would in one roll up.

Ready rolled do have filter tho… so even WITHOUT filter you feel prerolled feel more dangerous… surprising but i take your word for it

F.U.B.A.R.

Staff member
Ready rolled do have filter tho… so even WITHOUT filter you feel prerolled feel more dangerous… surprising but i take your word for it

Yeh, I never use filters in my rollups and they still feel less harmful than ciggies. But this is only anecdotal, I have no evidence I'm afraid.

Skorpio

Bluelighter
One thing in cigs is ammonium salts that cause a larger proportion of nicotine to be freebase when burned so it vaporizes easier. I wouldn't necessarily think they are too unhealthy but definately make cigs more addictive.

A. M. P. is definately correct: the carcinogens produced by curing tobacco (the nitrosamines, which arise from nicotine), along with standard polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon byproducts from burning anything, and trace polonium from fertilizer phosphate (which is really amplified by being deposited in lungs as opposed to consumed orally and passed) are the main culprits of tobaccos carcinoginicity.

telepathetic

Bluelighter
One thing in cigs is ammonium salts that cause a larger proportion of nicotine to be freebase when burned so it vaporizes easier. I wouldn't necessarily think they are too unhealthy but definately make cigs more addictive.

A. M. P. is definately correct: the carcinogens produced by curing tobacco (the nitrosamines, which arise from nicotine), along with standard polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon byproducts from burning anything, and trace polonium from fertilizer phosphate (which is really amplified by being deposited in lungs as opposed to consumed orally and passed) are the main culprits of tobaccos carcinoginicity.
What about tobacco cured like Swedish snus?

Skorpio

Bluelighter
What about tobacco cured like Swedish snus?
Is that like steam cured versus flue cured?

I first read this paper which makes a case for it being safer, but then looked at the conflict of interest statement : "

Competing interests​

EC, SW, JT and GOC are employees of Imperial Brands Plc. KT is an employee of Elucid8 Holdings Ltd and is acting as an independent scientific consultant to Imperial Brands Plc. KT is a former employee of Gallaher Ltd and Japan Tobacco International UK Ltd."

(also its a review, and while those are usually good for getting a hold on a topic they make performing a critical evaluation of the work really onerous).

https://harmreductionjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12954-019-0335-1

This second paper (with no conflict of interest section, but the authors look affiliated with a hospital so better than the first one) mentions lower nitrosamine levels in snus vs smoked tobacco and even American style chewing tobbacco (which may get at your question based on the curing methods). I still couldn't find a good primary source for that but this is about as far as I am willing to go currently on this question.

4meSM

Bluelighter

Many people think commercial cigarettes are worse but there are many studies showing that smoking hand-rolled cigs delivers more carbon monoxide, tar and many other toxic compounds (even with a filter). Rolling tobacco also appears to increase the cancer risk, especially in the mouth and throat area (2-3x the risk compared to regular cigarettes), but also some types of lung cancer IIRC.

By the way, menthol is probably one of the safest things one could find in tobacco, the only reason they banned it many countries is because it masks the harshness of the smoke and apparently makes cigs more attractive to kids/teens.

I honestly wish there was more quality control... All tobacco is clearly unhealthy but some brands are more contaminated than others (heavy metals, radioactive elements, pesticides, etc.), yet companies don't report anything at all, and neither do government agencies (they just tell you not to smoke)...
We don't even know the actual difference between 2 different cig "blends"/variants from the same brand ! Nevermind what's inside them.

Even filters and rolling papers can be pretty problematic. For instance: some paper brands have been found to contain very high amounts of heavy metals, there are titanium dioxide nanoparticles in most filters and they also release microscopic fibers during the smoking process (which have been found in the lungs of cancer patients), etc... Kinda crazy to think about it.

P.S: Most of those toxic compounds aren't really being added to cigs or anything like that, they're already present in the leaves (and in other raw materials). As it has been said, many are natural compounds from the tobacco plant (or formed during the drying/curing process), while others come directly from the soil and from the fertilizers.

Last edited: