• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Addicted to Cannabis or Nicotine?

Some interesting posts. I was a heavy cannabis smoker for about 20 years. I always mixed with tobacco. I think it is easier to smoke grass with tobacco, as nicotine aneathesises the clilia in your lungs.

The problem is that if you mix, you become addicted to the nicotine, and smoke too many joints as you are looking for the nicotine hit. So you start smoking cigarettes so you don't smoke too much grass. However smoking cigarettes is very bad.

Eventually I realised that I wouldn't be able to give up cigarettes unless I also gave up grass. I also realised that I'd have to give up grass first. So I gave up grass 12 months ago and cigarettes six months ago.

While cannabis is definitely psychologically addictive, giving up is child's play compared to tobacco. Withdrawal from cannabis only lasts about a week. If you can stay away from pot-smoking circles it's not difficult, and you quickly appreciate the benefits.

Tobacco is much harder. I used the nicotine gum which I found extremely helpful. And here's a tip - if you want to give up and use gum, buy it from the supermarket, it's about a third of the price compared to pharmacies.

Oddly enough, I dream about smoking regularly!

Some interesting points you guys make....

- If you burn and inhale mj smoke "could" be carcinogenic not fully proven though
- you could eat mj thus this would make it non carcinogenic, not sure if you could get addicted to mj by eating it (addicted to mums chocolate mj cookies, lol, slight chance of this cause I love choc chips)
- Users in this thread have smoked mj with tobacco mixed together thus unproven that smoking green mj not mixed with tobacco is addictive.
- Nicotene is addictive, proven.

I totally agree with you pinothippy on what you have said.

I smoked ganja since I was 15 due to bad influences such as family, Im now 22 and this year was my first attempt to give it up as all it was doing was making my depression worse then it actually was. I can say I was addicted to MJ and not the nicotene, I would come home and I would need that "hit" from the bud. If I didnt have it I was a totally different person in all ways I would get abusive, emotional, depressed.. its now been 2months since I havnt hit the pipe and my life is starting to get back on track, im wanting to move forward in life now where when I smoked ganja I couldnt give a stuff. I dont think I realised how "mentally" addictive the stuff was untill I gave up.

Im still smoking ciggies but eventually wont to give that up to, one step at a time though.

Did you smoke mj with tobacco the whole time ? Or did you smoke it green.....you will find you will have cravings for nicotene for many years after you quit. If you put your mind to it you can still go back to smoking mj later on even if you quit, but you must quit the tobacco first, this is important. Once you have fully quit tobacco and most importantly smoke mj "green" with no tobacco you will not crave this 'hit' you have required in the past.

Hope this helps ;)

It took me 5 days to fully quit mj mixed with tobacco (It was a living hell), mind you I never smoked cigarettes.
Stopped for one year and a half before I smoked mj "green", no more cravings for nicotene.

I smoked mj with tobacco for 15 years 7 grams a day, heavy smoker.

...............While cannabis is definitely psychologically addictive, giving up is child's play compared to tobacco. Withdrawal from cannabis only lasts about a week. If you can stay away from pot-smoking circles it's not difficult, and you quickly appreciate the benefits.

Tobacco is much harder.

Oddly enough, I dream about smoking regularly!

Very true, nicotene very addictive and cravings can last a long time, especially after long use.

Depending on my supply, ild say 70% of the time it was mixed..it took me roughly 2 weeks to fully quit the MJ like you said it was also a living hell for those 2 weeks, though I couldnt let myself go back to my ways. Im defntley smoking more ciggies now then I used to when I was still puffing on the MJ, so I could say I was addicted to the nicotene but I was after the "hit" from the MJ and like I said, if I didnt have the MJ ild be a totally different person in all ways but ild get the nicotene "fix" from the smokes, but untill I had ganja ild be the worst person to everyone around me which why I eventually quit.. as I lost best mates, my girlfriend and family.

In conclusion there both addictive, and would advise anyone to attempt to give both up as my life has turned in the right direction for once and im sure other people who have quit feel the same way with there lifes.

The fact that there are mentally ill people who consume marijuana does not prove anything by itself. Also, there are "massive numbers" of young people in psychological grief regardless of the substances they consume.

I understand that, but my next sentence explained that there was a statistical correlation. Usually the argument is that this may be a matter of medication, the already ill people are taking up marijuana, which has substantial merit, but also consider that the correlation is entirely more massive than with other drugs. Again, I would point to the episode of Insight on the matter of drugs, most people on this board would have watched it by now but it should be on google video.

But correlation is not causation. The fact that there are mentally ill people who smoke marijuana doesn't mean that smoking causes mental illness. You talk about this question like it's been irrefutably resolved--it hasn't.

I was merely asking people to consider the data, explaining and not arguing any point at all. In fact I was careful not to definitively state that I believed there is a causal link at all... although I do now that the matter is pressed. Of course for me it is a relative non-issue, mental illness or not I would still suggest the same policies, and I don't smoke it unless it's offered for free and I am also bored.

I use to smoke flat out for around 7 years to the end I was getting out of control average day was around 100 cones the whole time I smoked was with spin cigs because when I fist started I didn't have a lot of cash and it would make the weed go further.
I decided to quit because I was letting it rule my life id smoke when I got up have to get stoned to go ANYWHERE and that was at the least 10 cones around 30 to 45 mins I was missing out on a lot of the good things in life. I use to think it made things better and easyer to deal with, then it became I couldn't do things without it.
I never ever wanted to some cigs I had tryed them a few times and thought y bother all it does is gives u a slight head spin where pot gets u high for hours.
When I gave up whenever my mates where smoking id have a cig just to be social then id get a bit drunk and want to smoke pot so id have a cig then for a few weeks with out even noticing I was buying packets and smoking anywhere up to 1/2 a pack a day and on the weekend when I was out and on it drugs or alcohol id some at the least 2 packs and thought to my self I don't like cigs y am I smoking them? I was addicted to them through smoking it with the mull I haven't bought a pack for almost 1 year and only smoke the occasional 1 here and there when at the pub with mates.
It definatly is an addiction to nicotine

Wow this thread sure is a bunch of people trying to justify their addictions. Anyone who says opiates are less harmful than marijuana are kidding themselves, sure maybe physically but the addiction is far far worse and it will eventually get you.

Benzos and opiates are where it's at people, just try not to get physically dependent, that's when it gets ugly. :\

This is possibly the worst combination you can get hooked on if you suffer from anxiety and depression, WD from opiates makes you depressed as hell and WD from benzos makes you fucked up anxious. If you can't take a 2 week break it's time to stop now before it sucks you in deep.

Depending on my supply, ild say 70% of the time it was mixed..it took me roughly 2 weeks to fully quit the MJ like you said it was also a living hell for those 2 weeks, though I couldnt let myself go back to my ways. Im defntley smoking more ciggies now then I used to when I was still puffing on the MJ, so I could say I was addicted to the nicotene but I was after the "hit" from the MJ and like I said, if I didnt have the MJ ild be a totally different person in all ways but ild get the nicotene "fix" from the smokes, but untill I had ganja ild be the worst person to everyone around me which why I eventually quit.. as I lost best mates, my girlfriend and family.

In conclusion there both addictive, and would advise anyone to attempt to give both up as my life has turned in the right direction for once and im sure other people who have quit feel the same way with there lifes.

It's funny, when I started getting back into smoking weed after a 2 yr break I never used spin or a small amount and overall my reacquaintance with weed made me much calmer and a much happier person. I didn't start to become a cunt to everyone till I was smoking half weed half tobacco and eventually turning into a pack a day smoker. Since converting back to just weed I am back to the calm chilled out dude I was before.

Don't see how you could be addicted to mj by smoking it without nicotene. Does mj really have addictive powers? We know that nicotene is addictive either by smoking it or eating it.
Can you get addicted to mj by eating it only?

^^what do you mean by "not the same way as opiates or meth" shouldn't make any difference you either can get addicted or you can't to the product mj it self. Not addicted the "bong" or "the hit" or even "choc chip cookies" just plain mj. Do you know anyone who has just eaten mj never smoked it and addicted? It would be interesting to meet someone like this don't you think ?

it sounds like there is some confusion around the whole terminology used in here.

ive found it helpful to use dependance as the descriptive terminology for physiological based discussion. In the psychosocial discussion freqently people use the term addiction as a discriptor.

while working in the the AOD sector i have noticed that peoples biopsychosocial relationships with (enter chosen substance/s here) are better desribed as a relationship.
each person will have their own subjective experience of "addiction" and a different physiological reaction once the substance is ceased. so really there is no one true common place descriptor to use other than; a biopsychosocial relationship a person has with a substance.

^^what do you mean by "not the same way as opiates or meth" shouldn't make any difference you either can get addicted or you can't to the product mj it self. Not addicted the "bong" or "the hit" or even "choc chip cookies" just plain mj. Do you know anyone who has just eaten mj never smoked it and addicted? It would be interesting to meet someone like this don't you think ?

I'm talking about physical dependence vs psychological dependence. Eg with heroin once you have been doing it daily and stop your body goes in to physical withdrawal, you get diarrhoea, vomiting, massive depression, anxiety, insomnia, hot flushes, sweats and are generally incredibly ill. With marijuana you just crave it mentally and probably experience insomnia that's it.

Another example is benzos or alcohol, when you are in WD you can have a seizure and die, that's why these drugs are so much more addictive.

As far as eating vs smoking you are still ingesting the same drug so the addiction potential is the same, however with eating it takes longer to hit and is released slower, hence longer lasting. So you don't get the immediate effects but you probably are high for longer, I guess it comes down to whether its the initial hit or the long term high that you seek. If its the long term high then it is probably more addictive, if its the initial hit then I'd say less so.

I'm talking about physical dependence vs psychological dependence. Eg with heroin once you have been doing it daily and stop your body goes in to physical withdrawal, you get diarrhoea, vomiting, massive depression, anxiety, insomnia, hot flushes, sweats and are generally incredibly ill. With marijuana you just crave it mentally and probably experience insomnia that's it.

Another example is benzos or alcohol, when you are in WD you can have a seizure and die, that's why these drugs are so much more addictive.

As far as eating vs smoking you are still ingesting the same drug so the addiction potential is the same, however with eating it takes longer to hit and is released slower, hence longer lasting. So you don't get the immediate effects but you probably are high for longer, I guess it comes down to whether its the initial hit or the long term high that you seek. If its the long term high then it is probably more addictive, if its the initial hit then I'd say less so.

So psychologically dependancy to mj..not so much addicted to mj is what you mean?

This makes sense....if it's dependency not addicted. :\

Last edited:
The issue of addiction and dependence is a tricky one. Marijuana shouldn't create dependence as far as I can tell and as far as I have read. It also shouldn't create the strong addiction that crack or smoked methamphetamine cause, both of which create a strong link between dopamine levels in the synaptic cleft and the act of smoking the drug.

The key word being shouldn't.

Yes a dumbed down version, mj is mildly addictive, opiates such as codeine/dihydrocodeine are addictive and drugs like meth/coke/heroin are very addictive.

Opiates also cause dependence.

Yes although its commonly referred to as physical dependence = physical addiction, psychological dependence = psychological addiction

Basically, the same thing.

This is a big problem in the UK with weed I think. In the UK, 99.9% of weed users smoke it in joints with tobacco. I started off smoking with horrible rolling tobacco, simply cos thats what everyone else was doing. Its fucking disgusting thinking back on it, people would put a huge layer of rolling tobacco then sprinkle a tiny bit of weed on top, the thing doesn't taste of weed at all! Often people get unknowingly addicted to the tobacco in this way I think, crave another spliff every hour or so. The mix increases the addictive nature of cannabis in the beginning.

After using lots of tobacco for over a year, someone convinced me to use a small amoutn of cigarette tobacco with a nice helping of weed, so the joint is mainly weed laced with tobacco, no the other way round as it was before! And dear god it was so much better, nice smooth spliffs that taste/feel like weed instead of harsh lung destroying monstrosities. Also I found that I was getting more stoned from the same amount of weed in a joint due to the lack of tobacco. IME having a higher ratio of tobacco to weed in the spliff reduces the effect of the weed and overpowers it with the nicotine rush, especially true if the person is tobacco-naive i.e. doesn't smoke cigs.

After a while of doing this I found myself putting less and less tobacco in the spliffs. Eventually I switched to smoking small pure joints and bongs. I found that smoking pure was much nicer on the lungs and I would get the full effect from a given amount of weed. Also I found that contrary to all the reasoning given to me for mixing with tobacco, I was actually smoking less weed in a given time when it was pure. And I could have a nice big session and wake up without coughing my lungs out. Its funny how I transitioned from rediculous amount of tobacco in the beginning to absolutely none now. Pure really is better. If tobacco is used, which can be useful if the weed is very strong and being smoked by those with low tolerance to last out a joint, it must be a small pinch of light cigarette tobacco, not that shitty rolling tobacco stuff.

Here ends my rant about people ruining the great herb with dirty tobacco, remember if the joint tastes mor of tobacco than weed then it is WRONG. So many in the UK are destroying cannabis with this.

[begin 2mg nicotine gum (+ vaporiser) experiment]

it was probably best, Mr B, you didn't warn me that these things taste like a cross between toothpaste and an extract of used cigarette butts. Funny, I was expecting Extra... :(