• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall xr 20mg - HELP

elleXO

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and had a few questions about adderall xr 20mg... was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.
So, SWIM received adderall xr 20mg without a prescription. She was not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but has final exams coming up and wanted to get some serious studying done within the next week. SWIM has never taken any form of adderall before. Question is, how long will it last for? I know it will gradually be released over a certain time period... I've heard anywhere between 2hr-24hrs. What will it feel like? And would it be better for SWIM to take apart the capsule and separate the beads into two equal portions (10mg) and start with that first?
SWIM is 5"7 and 112lbs ..

Thanks! :)

Welcome to BL,

Please refrain from using SWIM, as it is against the rules. We know it's you.

To answer your question, a 20mg adderall xr will probably get you buzzed for 5-6hrs and the medicinal "concentration" effects will most likely linger for up to 12 hours.

From an HR perspective separating your dose may seem intelligent, but having used amphetamines for many years, it's usually better to go all at once or "Ramp up" your dose.

So
20mg at once
or
5mg --> 15mg

Make sure you don't have any immediate heart issues and drink plenty of water.

Thanks Renz Envy.

Oh oops, didn't know that wasn't allowed here.. guess I should go over the forum rules.

Looks like I'll be popping the whole thing tomorrow morning.. lets hope I can sleep :\

I am new to the forum but have a vast amount of experience with Adderall.
If youve never taken the medication then that dose may be to strong or to weak depending on your tolerance, you'll have to assess that yourself.
In my personal experience that is a fairly low dose, also considering its extended release (One dose of 10mg instantly then another 10mg +/- 4hrs. later).
I personally weigh 165lbs and am your height and i've taken 2 30mg adderall Immediate release on my first time ever using adderall and felt great, though I had experience with Ritalin,Concerta and Focalin.. I hadnt done any amphetamines for nearly 2 years when I did adderall for the first time and it made me highly concentrated, very talkative, and extremely focused on things that before were uninteresting..
Definitly DO NOT remove the beads for any reason, just take it whole bc as I stated your going to get 10mg right away then not get another 10mg for nearly 4 hours.
In my opinion and this is my opinion, your going to be disappointed with that small dose..but try it first it may be just right for you. And no you wont be up for days or anything especially with only 1 20mg XR. The longest I was up was around 65-72 hours, but I had taken nearly 280mg+ over those 3 days.
You should be good unless you have a serious heart condition, just remember they prescribe this to 10 year olds and there sometimes there recommended doses are 60 mg IR per day, and 120 mg XR per day, I wish I could show where those numbers came from but I have read that multiple times from trusted souces/doctor office pamphlets .
I actually really enjoy Adderall for many things besides studying. Just keep hydrated for sure. Have Fun!

We don't have Adderall here in the UK (sadly!) but I'd suggest that if 'your friend' wishes to experiment with it, especially for purposes of study/staying awake etc., rrather than getting high, you... sorry, 'they'... break open the capsules, crush the contents minutely, and begin by taking tiny amounts and building up, until the desired effect is achieved - i.e wakefulness, improved concentration and motivation etc. I think many of the Adderall pills you will come across are 'slow release' stuff, which could well screw up your studies bigtime!

Thanks for your reply JakeV
I just took the whole 20mg .. and i feel great! i was scared it would hit me like a bus but it's more subtle than i expected.
my palms are a bit sweaty, but im assuming its one of the more common side effects..
I am also noticing a change in my breathing, not a bad change, just feels like my breathing is more full/whole? sorry, im not quite sure how to explain it :/
and i do feel more concentrated. :)

Just for future reference...anyone who isn't rx'd amps, who just wants to try them needs to take a few moments to consider the health risk, especially if they have heart issues, or epilepsy.

A local teen, who had had a heart murmur as a child, but no heart issues as a teen, took 20mg of addy, and ended up in telemetry ICU a few days due to CA. She's fine now, but it could have been worse.

I understand kids want to try it to excel during exams and such but they need to consider the risk as well.

Don't crush, or chew the pills. With zero tolerance, take the lowest starting dose.

I only suggested that, along with the caution to try a tiny bit first, and 'work up' because of the danger of overdoing things with delayed action stuff. And ITA, anyone with heart problems, epilepsy or anything wrong with them whatsoever, should not indulge, or be incredibly careful if they must - they can kill you!

I am also noticing a change in my breathing, not a bad change, just feels like my breathing is more full/whole? sorry, im not quite sure how to explain it :/
and i do feel more concentrated. :)

Amphetamines help your lungs expand; that's why OTC meds for asthma have ephedrine in them.

I only suggested that, along with the caution to try a tiny bit first, and 'work up' because of the danger of overdoing things with delayed action stuff. And ITA, anyone with heart problems, epilepsy or anything wrong with them whatsoever, should not indulge, or be incredibly careful if they must - they can kill you!

Indeed. That's why I tell people who are not prescribed them to not take them at all. Or if they're going to anyway take 5mg or only half a 5mg pill at first.

Hmmm... I am actually asthmatic, but whilst having my daily dose of 20 5mg Dexedrine pills, I never needed Ventolin inhalers. I am highly allergic to grass pollen (NPI!), and before I was taking amphetamine, during the hayfever season I was all but comatose, very ill, exhausted and stuffed with antihistamines, wheezing and a sneezing all day, coughing and choking all night - between inhaler nlasts and cigarettes. That all stopped when I was taking speed, the odd sniffle at worst - amphetamine is itself a powerful antihistamine it seems. It goes without saying that I have used masses of OTC stuff, Do Do's (or chesteze), which has a mild, speedy effect as well as keeping the lungs clear, Sudafed doesn't seem so stimulating - unless modified with Iodine and methanol of course, ahem! Until recently, I often ate a whole packet of Do Do's on Saturday nights, with few apparent ill effects (the odd headache and they can 'itch me up' sometimes) . When I was much younger, I recall taking them 'for fun' and to stay awake, and overdid it badly, suffering a sort of ghastly, painful prickly heat, and I suspect they contributed to my first panic attack - shudder! Bad gear, not recommended to 'normal folk'!