• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Stimulants Adderall Withdrawl (Please help me)

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
It’s still not safe to recommend memantine for adderall withdrawals. That much I know.
What makes it specifically not safe (and I mean safe as you say it, not just ineffective because ineffective != unsafe)? Memantine is one of these few meds with a huge dosage window, 5-10mg are already active but people take hundreds of mg's without ill effects (but of course, strong dissociation). It's original purpose is treatment of Alzheimer's which means it's safe in the elderly, who tend to be more sensitive. I never said that memantine is any accepted or widely recommended treatment, just that I myself had positive experiences with it, and at least I myself value first-hand experiences at least similar to PubMed articles. Of course, everybody has individual genetics and thus reactions to drugs, and everybody should take everything read on the net with at least one grain of salt. I could go and recommend wasp spray as meth replacement, I don't do that but as an example. I myself overdosed on DXM based on these plateau calculators, this taught me a lesson. Somehow it's ridiculous to trust unknown people specially with sourcing stuff (see: RC vendors) but sometimes it's better than nothing and sometimes information can be verified or discarded by common sense. You discarded my hint about memantine, nothing wrong with that, but it's your opinion like mine is mine.

Full agree @ Keif' Richards.
I'll put the not intended to diagnose or cure in my sig.

Four Mile Creek, St. Clair Township, Ohio
What makes it specifically not safe (and I mean safe as you say it, not just ineffective because ineffective != unsafe)?
That’s not the point. Pushing for non-researched non-tested solutions (especially a prescribed drug for Alzheimer’s) for problems like adderall withdrawal is inherently dangerous because someone on reddit says it helps.

Sure, you could get to 5,000 posts being a dick the entire time and not really helping anybody
I haven’t been a total dick through my 5000+ posts here. My sense of humor sometimes doesn’t translate too well when I sometimes politely tell people to go fuck their mothers. Kidding aside, I take harm reduction really seriously because people’s lives might be at risk from the stuff they see on these boards (not just here). I’ve been in this game for well over a decade now every single day (no joke).

🧙‍♂️

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
Other side of the medallion would be not to offer a possibly helpful and as far as I can tell pretty non-unsafe (as in risk of serious adverse effect; there are few but with any prescription med comes a leaflet) option. If nobody would recommend nothing out of line, we wouldn't have things like baclofen for alcohol or ketamine for depression, heck even MDMA for PTSD etc. yeah they are backed by many studies these days but at least the K came from druggies afaik.

I completely agree to harm reduction first. If I (not repeating some random Reddit person, it's at least first hand stuff) hadn't taken several times the recommended dosage and still felt pretty safe (don't do this at home kids), I wouldn't recommend it. But really, where's the difference to recommending DXM, or memantine, for opioid withdrawal or potentiation - even pregabalin for opioid w/d one could call experimental and unsafe, specially the pregabalin because if one relapses and does an overdose, then some pregabalin left in the system might make the difference between passing out and dying. Still, as it can avoid tremendous suffering, people are recommending it.

If nobody would recommend nothing out of line, we wouldn't have things like baclofen for alcohol or ketamine for depression, heck even MDMA for PTSD etc. yeah they are backed by many studies these days but at least the K came from druggies afaik.
Yeah those have been studied, and still I wouldn’t recommend them here without doctor’s supervision. Memantine has not been studied for what you are recommended people here use for adderall withdrawal. So a definite no go on that.

🧙‍♂️

Perforated

Moderator: SLR, DC
Staff member
Just to be clear @The Wizard of the Creek, nowhere in our mission, rules, or history is there anything about our model of harm reduction being limited to being a clearing house for peer-reviewed scientific research. In fact, if anything, it’s primarily been the opposite. It’s mostly based on being a community of people sharing their common lived experience of dealing with drugs and their fallout.

Now personally, I never give any experience-based advice about anything without spending a bit of time reading through any relevant research to see if there is anything to back it up or contraindicated it. In the same way, I never follow anybody’s advice without doing the same thing. I try and back up most claims I make with reference to the literature and I often highlight the flaws in other people’s advice the same way.

But you seem to be holding us to a standard that does not correlate with what we purport to be or our operating model as clarified by several moderators in this thread.

In matter of Memantine and Adderall withdrawal, it is one thing to point out that there is no evidence that it works. That seems to be true. But it’s another thing to claim that proposing it will significantly increase harm (which is what you seem to be accusing @plumbus-nine of and by extension condemning us for facilitating). In the latter I think the onus might be on you to be the one to provide the evidence or at least a reasoned argument as to why.

But it’s another thing to claim that proposing it will significantly increase harm (which is what you seem to be accusing @plumbus-nine of and by extension condemning us for facilitating).
You don’t know, I don’t know, he doesn’t know if recommending memantine for adderall withdrawals is harmful or not! That’s my whole point. Besides @Perforated, who on earth is willing to take memantine for adderall withdrawals anyways? Nobody would ever think to potentially endanger themselves with a non-tested, non-researched cure-all unless they read it on reddit or here with people saying it really helps for this or that? That’s so fucking beyond irresponsible, when just sleep, vitamins and eating healthy food is all it takes for fucking adderall withdrawals.

I’m done with this conversation

Last edited:

Keif' Richards

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
You don’t know, I don’t know, he doesn’t know if recommending memantine for adderall withdrawals is harmful or not! That’s my whole point. Besides @Perforated, who on earth is willing to take memantine for adderall withdrawals anyways? Nobody would ever think to potentially endanger themselves with a non-tested, non-researched cure-all unless they read it on reddit or here with people saying it really helps for this or that? That’s so fucking beyond irresponsible, when just sleep, vitamins and eating healthy food is all it takes for fucking adderall withdrawals.

@The Wizard of the Creek I'm very sorry if you even remotely thought I was referring to you when I spoke of people behaving like dicks. You're not at all in this category and I was merely using it as an example. You're a tried and true member of the community and I have the same level of respect that I have for anyone else willing to donate their time to our little thing.

I don't want to pidgeon-hole you here dude, but I honestly think your complaint is more of an existential one. It's not something we can truly fix. It's that moment in the realms of free speech in which we all question the true value of free speech. I get it completely. THe best we can do is try to silence unfounded or dangerous claims as they pop up and accept that some people are misguided or have been otherwise mislead either by their own research or by others. It's a tough thing, but part of what we do here, I feel, is that we show respect to those of us who consistenly put out the type of information that we deem to be in line with Harm Reduction philosophy.

You have to earn your place in that mutual respect by thus respecting the community itself. That's why we can say "oh they, there's Keif, there's Negro, there's Wizard, they've been legit in the past, so I'll give them the time of day at least".

I just want to say, as a major proponent of completely unrestricted speech, I've had all of these same feelings man. Don't feel out of place or anything. I'd let my neighbors preach about a second holocaust day in and day out if that's really what they want to do. I have to understand that my free speech is the best way of countering this.

Imthechef

Greenlighter

I'm laughing at how you're acting like taking fucking memantine is going to kill the dude, it's funny honestly. Seriously dude, calm the fuck down.

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
That's exactly what I meant. Memantine is safe as fuck, people hell even myself did 10+ times the recommended dosage without ill effects, and recommending it is somewhat like recommending aspirin for an unknown ache - it might work, it might not work but it won't do harm. Probably the person won't even be able to get it, unfortunately because it's a good aid in some situations even backed by some science but most docs are ignorant about PubMed and even more about laymen's experiences.

There is no real study stuff for this exact situation and recommendation but is for what psychiatrists do day by day, recommending either antipsychotics or antidepressants for just everything and for fucks sake I am on SSRIs and can't quit them while memantine is just a tool. Wizard, you're doing good but here you overshoot. The plumbus knows too some wizardry. You have no monopoly on that. Peace(cake). :)