• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall vs. Modafinil vs. Dexedrine

omgbro

Bluelighter
I've only used Adderall.

If you're someone who's taken all three, please describe the differences between Adderall and the other two.

Thanks!

Adderall is your normal everyday stimulant(Contains small amounts of amphetamines), Modafinil will stop you from feeling tired and improve attention span, dexadrine looks like another amphetamine. Really http://erowid.com could answer all these questions in more detail than you'll ever care to know.

Both Adderall and Dexedrine are amphetamines...

Adderall is made up of the following (racemic amphetamine):
* 1/4 dextroamphetamine saccharate
* 1/4 dextroamphetamine sulfate
* 1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-amphetamine) aspartate monohydrate
* 1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-amphetamine) sulfate

Dexedrine is (dextrorotary stereoisomer of the amphetamine molecule) :
* dextroamphetamine sulfate

Dexedrine is described as being smoother as it does not have the levorotatory (–) isomer which is linked to PNS stimulation (jittery feeling!). Adderall has more reports of that wired, jittery feeling due to it having both levorotatory and dextrorotary isomers (PNS & CNS stimulation)

It has been established that Modafinil is a CNS Stimulant but doesn't structurally resemble any of the other CNS Stimulants like amphetamines. It is a new type of CNS Stimulant whose mode of action is even more mysterious (unknown) than other CNS drugs.
There is a popular theory that Modafinil acts by replacing missing orexins in doing this they stimulate those parts of the brain which release/produce norepinephrine, dopamine, histamine and ACh which promotes wakefulness.

Modafinil is described as promoting wakefulness without that classic amphetamine stimulation. It is reported to have less of an abusive factor.

I've taken all three before. Although I've on Dexedrine XR for a few years straight now, so most of my experience is with enantiopure (d)-amphetamine. Compared with Adderall, pure dextroamphetamine is actually less stimulating--as most people will attest, it is smoother and (at least in my case), has an almost anxiolytic effect. Higher-echelon doses of Adderall really engender a laser-focused, 'wired' feeling, as mentioned. Modafinil is not as useful for ADD, but is excellent for getting tough times that require one to get less than a desirable amount of sleep. Methylphenidate makes me kind of tired and lost its beneficial effects after a while. Not to mention the short half-life is extremely annoying--it is easy to forget to take it on time and then the 'rollercoaster' effect sets in.

I'd say Dexedrine is the smoothest, but is very similar to Adderall. Ritalin makes me pissed off, and Modafinil, which I had prescribed for years, tends to make me feel uncomfortable and anxious. A constant sensation that something's WRONG with none of the goofy grandeur of a real amphetamine.

If you can get Desoxyn, go for that. Probably the mellowest stimulant I ever had prescribed, and it does the trick for ADHD at very low doses. It didn't feel like I was high on drugs, which is how I felt on Dexedrine and Adderall, and the extra serotonin release meant sleep was actually a possibility after a couple hours.

Personally, however, I recommend you do whatever you can to keep stimulants as far away from you as possible! Maybe take a half a hit of acid if you have a hard study day ahead, but that's as far as I'd go :p All the stimulation with none of the manic panic!

I think that using ergoloids for ADHD might actually work (at least somewhat). A large dose of hydergine, lisuride or a sub-psychedelic dose of LSD. Their dopaminergic activity would probably have a beneficial effect in a number of ADD cases.

Stimulants aren't all bad...they really dramatically help some people.

That's funny because I asked my dr about dex and he said that it wouldn't be a good idea to try that because adderall is smoother. Used those exact words... ha.

For pure shits and giggles the dex is the way to go for people who enjoy speed. Now since I really have ADD I don't really like dex too much. It makes me sleepy... I'm sure this is because there is no levoamph. I'll take the adderall personaly... but I will also take the modafinil. They go great together and it's the only thing that will really keep me awake but thats all it does. It's great when you have to function the next day on just a few hours of sleep. For non-ADD people I'm sure the dex or adderall alone is just the ticket.

I could write a ten thousand word essay on dexedrine easily. It was the first drug I ever tried (accidentally as I had add and was not aware of what this did but buddy had it for add so i tried it thinking they calmed ppl down by making them tired lol) anywyas it is the best of the 3 without question.