• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall severe side effects

SloppyToppy

Greenlighter
I have been taking adderall for roughly 2 weeks and it has worked very well for its intended effects of mitigating the symptoms of ADHD. I have never abused the medication, but I have taken it in less than the 24 hour time frame they like you to (a couple times about 16 or 18 hours apart instead). I have noticed ALOT of side effects however, of different severity.

Severe Side Effects:
1. Loss of Appetite: I have no desire to eat while on it or after the effects wear off. I still drink water and energy drinks, and I continue to buy food with the hopes of eating it, but I end up not eating it. I have lost 20lbs over this time frame, and have not had food in close to 2 days. I take a daily vitamin as well, which helps.

2. Feeling Aches and pains associated with fever: I have that weak feeling around my body and constantly, and I have felt that my arms feel weak just from holding my phone for more than 5 minutes. My leg also feels like someone just dead-leged me and I'm not sure how the hell that happened.

3.Wheezing: When ever I need to take a deep breathe, their is a very noticeable wheezing/cough that comes with it as well. This is could be due to seasonal allergies, i'm not sure.

4.Blue/Red color in palms of hands: My palms were redish-pale yesterday, today they are noticeably blue and cold. My hands are also the place where the weight loss is most apparent as I can now see veins that previously I could barely see.

5. Very dark, almost brown, occasionally bloody urine.

Less Severe Effects:
1.Sleeplessness: Not that severe because melatonin works well to stop this.

2. Loss of Interest in previous hobbies.

3.Sweating: Very sweaty for no reason, not used to this at all, armpits are soaked after a 15 minute walk.

4. Looking at nothing with extreme focus and huge pupils: Kinda bad cause in class I look like Im super spaced but I'm actually listening to everything the professor is saying, probably freak out girls lol.

5. Anxiety: I have always had it, a little worse now, nothing I can't handle

I'm not sure if I should go see a doctor and get something different. Honestly the mental effects outweight the negatives in my opinion. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I personally think Ritalin is a better long term option. Most of the side effects you report are from excess adrenaline and there's not really any way around it.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep - missing sleep kills brain cells and will make you age very fast.

Yep, common side effects are weight loss, anxiety, loss of appetite, insomnia, and excess sweating. It sounds like you're dehydrated too, even though you're drinking water. Talk to your Dr about these side effects and he'll probably lower your dose. If you continue to display these symptoms, even at a lower dose, your Dr.might switch medications altogether.

- Hopeless Soul

Sound like the regular side effects, what you really need to do is FORCE yourself to eat! I take adderall daily and I know how hard it can be but it must be done.

What I recomend doing, is eating a meal as big as you can, and then drinking "ensure plus" for extra calories so you keep a healthy wieght. Also try and eat before you take your adderall. You should be SUPER hungry when your not on adderall, use that to your advantage and eat!

Sound like the regular side effects, what you really need to do is FORCE yourself to eat! I take adderall daily and I know how hard it can be but it must be done.

What I recomend doing, is eating a meal as big as you can, and then drinking "ensure plus" for extra calories so you keep a healthy wieght. Also try and eat before you take your adderall. You should be SUPER hungry when your not on adderall, use that to your advantage and eat!

this, also, take vitamins if you can't get yourself to eat, but make sure that you're hydrated, I've been an amphetamine addict for a while and I figured out what works best through trial and error as well as having some older tweakers teach me some tricks. Drinking tomato juice is great, all fruits are awesome, you want to get as much nutrition as possible, this will take away a large amount of the negative side effects that you experience when you crash, even though it sounds a little too easy to be true.

Also, if you're having trouble drinking water, make sure it's room temperature, cold water often is too shocking on your teeth which may have been compromised due to dehydration (common with amphetamine use, especially with meth, hence, meth mouth).

As far as the wheezing goes, I never experienced this on adderall but with methamphetamine, this became a huge problem for me. I am a severe asthmatic, and when I was tweaking on meth I was homeless so I was living in a deplorable environment for someone with breathing problems to begin with. Often times I would use meth during an asthma attack, and it would temporarily bring my breathing back to a normal rate (I imagine due to vasoconstriction causing the inflammation of the bronchial walls to go down), however, it would always back fire on me, because I'd be so dehydrated that the mucous in my lungs would become incredibly thick and almost impossible for me to cough up, and I'd have to go to the hospital to get PO and IV steroids.

Again, while I never experienced this with adderall, on methamphetamine, my urine was also disturbingly dark, and smelled horrible. Often it would be hard for me to piss, and it would trickle out slowly over the course of like ten minutes, during which I would get feint and have to lean my head against the wall because I felt like I was going to pass out.

It really sounds like you're just not getting enough hydration and nutrition, and probably need a few good nights sleep.

I personally think Ritalin is a better long term option. Most of the side effects you report are from excess adrenaline and there's not really any way around it.

Make sure you get plenty of sleep - missing sleep kills brain cells and will make you age very fast.

I have taken Dexedrine with high amounts of Intuniv, such as 4mg and most effects go away but it is a weird state of mind I cannot describe. When dopamine is increasing without adrenaline, the effects are undesirable. Some adrenaline should accompany a dopamine increase, or it's going to feel...bizzare. Too much adrenaline is indeed poison and is worst than anything else.