• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants adderall potentiators (tums/dxm) causing diarrhea?

ghosdeeri

Greenlighter
SWIM enjoys taking adderall recreationally, and does so often. Recently SWIM read that the magnesium in tums actually works as a potentiator, and may reduce tolerance if taken over time. SWIM found equate extra strength antacid tablets, which seem to share the same active ingredient and purpose as tums. SWIM has been taking 2-4 a day for the past few days, perhaps for the past week. Each tablet contains calcium carbonate 750mg and magnesium 1mg. Could the cause SWIM's diarrhea be the excess calcium? Adderall has had some bad side effects in the past, but never diarrhea. On the first day of taking the tablets, SWIM seemed to notice a decrease in adderall-induced anxiety and a mild increase in euphoria, but hasn't felt the same effects since. Do the tablets not actually have an effect, or are they just lacking in required magnesium? Is it best to just stop taking them? Sorry for the choppy writing, SWIM isn't feeling too great today.

DXM is notorious for diarrhea. Also read up on baking soda. I have not personally experimented with it so I can not attest to its efficiency. However it is a topic I run across from time to time.
Sodium bicarbonate aka baking soda (why separated from antacids?). Allows your urine to become less acidic and so Adderall is metabolized more slowly, and people also often report it works better. One could argue using baking soda or TUMS or whatever antacid you want is on the same playing field as avoiding a meal around the time of dosing in order to make it more effective. The only problem with that is, these antacids will further increase tolerance. The body won't adapt to increased absorption and longer excretion rate of Adderall but your brain will. You will be back to square one and perhaps a few squares in the negative, so I don't recommend this. A good measure to make sure Adderall is better absorbed is to take it on an empty stomach. This can have a drastic change in efficacy.

Have you considered the very likely idea that it's the amphetamines that are interfering with your GI?

I believe it is the Adderall itself causing these unpleasant GI side-effects as well. I have experienced persistent diarrhea, stomach discomfort, and gas/bloating due to the oral ingestion of Adderall XR during numerous binges. The best technique of avoiding this is to continue eating your suggested calorie's worth of food, if not more, even though the feeling of hunger is not present.