• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Weight Lifting

TageMyBoy

Bluelighter
I'm trying to gain muscle and that requires eating enough calories. I'm taking adderall for studying but will it negatively affect muscle gains even if I consume the proper amount of food and water? Like I know it affects appetite but I will force myself to eat as much as I usually would. I would just like to know if it inherently causes problems with building muscles even if I were to meet all my nutritional needs. Thanks!

It does speed up your metabolism so food gets burnt up faster but other than that it should be fine. Just try to eat, drink (H2O obviously lol alcohol is terrible for body builders), & sleep normally.

Amphetamine (Adderall) actually increases muscle strength & endurance, because of this it's classified as a performance enhancing drug and is banned in all competitive sports (unless maybe if you're prescribed... not sure.). It's non toxic and won't degrade muscle like methamphetamine.

I actually recommend it to body builders who use steroids as a healthier alternative.

Why not? Going to the gym on amphetamines was actually a very normal thing decades ago. Dexedrine tablets were used for the same purposes ephedrine tablets are used today.

IME amphetamine is a much safer pre-workout stimulant than ephedrine or even a large amount of caffeine. It doesn't affect my heart rate or blood pressure nearly as badly as ephedrine does. Ephedrine is so effective at raising blood pressure that its sole medical use is to treat hypotension (typically associated with anaesthesia).

Put it this way: Amphetamine got banned mostly because people were abusing it and getting addicted to it. Ephedrine got banned because people it was killing people.

I feel my blood pressure rising reading the responses here...

Why not? Going to the gym on amphetamines was actually a very normal thing decades ago. Dexedrine tablets were used for the same purposes ephedrine tablets are used today.

IME amphetamine is a much safer pre-workout stimulant than ephedrine or even a large amount of caffeine. It doesn't affect my heart rate or blood pressure nearly as badly as ephedrine does. Ephedrine is so effective at raising blood pressure that its sole medical use is to treat hypotension (typically associated with anaesthesia).

Ephedrine and amphetamine are banned from competitive sports for generally the same reason. Their actions in raising blood pressure and heart rate are similar, if not the same. (I need an ADD person to confirm this) Ephedrine is purely for performance enhancement. For this reason, this is why literally 90% of pro athletes continue use ephedrine. Amphetamines are used in sports, but from what I know they're not nearly as popular as ephedrine. I would only speculate it's due to the fact that the doses of amp you would eventually be taking would really start to wear away on you mentally.

Put it this way: Amphetamine got banned mostly because people were abusing it and getting addicted to it. Ephedrine got banned because people it was killing people.

They both got banned, because they're performance enhancing drugs.

It does speed up your metabolism so food gets burnt up faster but other than that it should be fine. Just try to eat, drink (H2O obviously lol alcohol is terrible for body builders), & sleep normally.

Amphetamine (Adderall) actually increases muscle strength & endurance, because of this it's classified as a performance enhancing drug and is banned in all competitive sports (unless maybe if you're prescribed... not sure.). It's non toxic and won't degrade muscle like methamphetamine.

I actually recommend it to body builders who use steroids as a healthier alternative.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it will degrade muscle more than methamphetamine if you're using rationed amounts of each. i/e 20mg of D-amp = 5mg M-amp

You can't compensate a stimulant for an exogenous sex hormone... You may want to try reading Steroid Discussion before posting things like that bud.

I'm trying to gain muscle and that requires eating enough calories. I'm taking adderall for studying but will it negatively affect muscle gains even if I consume the proper amount of food and water? Like I know it affects appetite but I will force myself to eat as much as I usually would. I would just like to know if it inherently causes problems with building muscles even if I were to meet all my nutritional needs. Thanks!

Adderall does have a negative effect on a LOT of key hormones that influence muscle gain. Testosterone, Growth hormone, insulin are all affected by amphetamine use. If you want my best opinion, quit using amphetamines while trying to add muscle mass. (Or reduce them to literally a 3rd of what you would usually take)

You should still gain muscle as long as you're meeting your calorie surplus, but even then it's going to be a gamble of how well you're able to "bulk" and what your routine is like.

If you want, go a head and PM me and I'll help you out.

Last edited:
I feel my blood pressure rising reading the responses here...

Ephedrine and amphetamine are banned from competitive sports for generally the same reason. Their actions in raising blood pressure and heart rate are similar, if not the same.
I have access to a sphygmomanometer and I used it regularly while on stimulants to assess the effects they were having on me. 30-40mg ephedrine pushed the numbers up quite a bit higher than a similar dose of dexamphetamine (resting and during/after exercise). Strenuous cardiovascular activity on ephedrine felt extremely dangerous.
Believe it or not, d-methamphetamine (desoxyephedrine) at 20-30mg was actually easier on the numbers than 30-40mg d-amphetamine.

(I need an ADD person to confirm this) Ephedrine is purely for performance enhancement. For this reason, this is why literally 90% of pro athletes conti
nue use ephedrine. Amphetamines are used in sports, but from what I know they're not nearly as popular as ephedrine. I would only speculate it's due to the fact that the doses of amp you would eventually be taking would really start to wear away on you mentally.
That's just marketing for you. Ephedrine is marketed to athletes as a performance enhancing drug. Amphetamines nowadays are marketed as psychiatric drugs (typically for AD(H)D and narcolepsy). Their popularity in sports has waned purely due to legal issues, high prices and social stigmas. If you're talking short-term athletic performance enhancement then ephedrine really hasn't got shit on amphetamines.

I haven't had any in months and I wouldn't advocate using it regularly but believe me: pure d-methamphetamine in moderate/fairly high therapeutic doses (20-30mg orally for me) blows ephedrine out of the water in every way imaginable.
It has quite a strong analgesic effect, which took my workouts to a whole different level. Plus at no point did I ever contemplate rushing off to A&E after reading the sphyg numbers or feel like my heart was about to explode.

Unfortunately tolerance was so much of an issue with meth that I couldn't use it more than once every two weeks or so, even at 20-30mg.
Plain d-amphetamine on the other hand was something I found I could use 2-3 times per week - same as I did with ephedrine.

You're right, methamphetamine is a lot less harsh on the system. Definitely easier to abuse, which is where it gets its bad rap.

Interesting, I always felt Eph and Amp were sort of the same as far as their effects on the cardiovascular system. I would like some time to do a little more research. I absolutely cannot stand the way D-amp makes me feel during a work out. Ephedrine I can somewhat tolerate, however.

And finally, yes. Meth is used very frequently as a performance enhancer. Of course it blows Eph out of the water, but if you would like to continue doing your sport or activity without neurotoxicity/losing motivation, ephedrine would be a better bet. Meth is also cardiotoxic through its affinity to the HT2b receptor (The pulmonary target of serotonin)

I use 1,3DMAA over all three of them.

Last edited: