• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Hair Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I recently got a prescription to Adderall. I take 10 or 20 mg some days when I need to get things done. I notice it thins my hair out tremendously and I think it's making it fall out too. Otherwise I like Adderall. Can someone please inform me if they know a way to prevent this from happening? Any possible Vitamins or formulas I should take? Thanks.

Get your thyroid checked.

Same thing happening here. Technique used for all scripts is to go days without them to avoid bad side effects and tolerance piling up. Probably not healthy and not advising others do this but it works here. Weekends are breaks for addy. No work, no need.

I read some where about adderall and hair loss, but experts said that none of his patients, have experienced hair loss due to adderall. I was looking and it could be a hormonal imbalance.There are many causes of loss of hair such as stress, poor nutrition ,medications, thyroid dysfunctions, illness, fungal infections ,hormonal problems. so its not important that you facing hair loss problem just because of adderall.

Hair Transplant

Last edited:
I took Adderall two days recently, 20 one day, 30 the other.

I've never noticed any thinning of my hair in my life and now today for the first time I'm taking notice.

Perhaps a faulty haircut from the weekend is the blame, some other health issue, or it is a drug I'm taking.....

I wouldn't think two days of light use, would result in relatively severe hair thinning, but I don't know. This has been really disturbingly sudden, but, in the timeline it would make sense, but then again, hard to believe it would be the culprit.

biotin is the only vitamin that is proven to make hair grow, so check for that in your multivitamin. you can also just get biotin pills at CVS or wherever.

i've never heard of this side effect before--although ugggh, now im going to be paranoid. I've been on adderall for years though, 20 mgs or more and have not noticed it. it sounds like you are definitely sensitive to it. i have noticed when i'm on adderall that i get obsessive about tweezing my body hair, and also comb/touch my hair more frequently. Is it possible you're doing this without realizing it? That could make it fall out more.

if you need to continue taking the adderall:
i would take lots of vitamins (check for biotin!), eat a diet high in omega-3s & 6s, wash and brush your hair sparingly, only use a wide-tooth comb when it's wet. use shampoo and conditioner for thinning hair. Nioxin is well known brand with treatment for mild hair loss.
http://www.nioxin.com/en/home.aspx

take the adderall as sparingly as possible too, and definitely bring it up to your doctor. s/he may be able to offer you solutions that don't involve you stopping your meds.

as we know hair loss can be caused by many different reasons. There are many causes of loss of hair such as stress, poor nutrition ,medications, thyroid dysfunctions, illness, fungal infections ,hormonal problems, to mention a few. Im on my second bottle of Super Hair Food anti hair loss shampoo and have found it helpful. Unlike some of the other hair loss products. I had tried in the past, leaves my hair looking and feeling healthy. I also noticed I dont shed hair. I was looking for a product that would prevent hair loss rather than regrowth so my perspective is from someone that wants to keep their hair healthy and in place. If you suffer from hair loss, highly reco mm end super hair food shampoo you can g et it fro m here w...superhairfood..c

Hi, I know this is a very old thread, but reading your post and your furher explanation of your life style and conditions this is the most similar situation to mine. I am so tired of trying to find and answer to this problem, but also explaning that I do eat, sleep and basically live healthy life style while on Adderall. I think these kind of responses come from people who take it recreationally and/or in high doses and they are struck by the effect of a drug, so makes sense to blame "life style" for whats happening to the hair. I am now on literally 5 mg a day of Adderall, I lowered my dose as much as possible but hair thinning is still there! And yes it is HAIR THINNING, like hair getting weaker progressively all over. And no I am not pulling my hair, scratching my sculp or in anyway having some kind of compulsive behavior caused by too much stimulation. At 5mg I am barely stimulated, I use it mainly to get me out of bed and get me going withtout being lost. Also the reason why its hard to make breaks, because every day I need to get out of bed, regardless if I am doing serious work or not. Anyway, I was wondering if you have found any remedy any kind of way to deal with this except quitting Adderall? Thank you :)

That's strange; I have very thick hair but I bleach it blonde so it has thinned from that. But I also take adderall every day, but I haven't noticed any differences in my hair due to the adderall. I wonder if that's a common side effect.

I have been taking 20mg of Adderall from 9 months but I am not aware about the side effect of this medicine. Now I am suffering from severe hair loss problem which could be the side effect of this drug. I have very good and thick hair and don't want to loose them at any cost.
I heard that hair transplant is safe surgical treatment for hair loss. Soon I will go to dermatologist to discuss my hair loss problem. just for the knowledge can anyone tell me the cost of hair transplant surgery.

Drugs cause hair loss by interfering with the normal cycle of hair growth. This growth cycle has three phases:

• During the anagen phase, which lasts for around three to four years, the hair grows.
  • During the catagen (transitional) phase, which lasts two to three weeks, the hair prepares for the telogen phase.
  • During the telogen phase, which lasts about three months, the hair rests and older hairs are shed and replaced by newer hairs.

Gonna close this thread. It's super old and getting spammed with links. It was bumped for the sole purpose of a vendor to spam it.

Status
Not open for further replies.