• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Actual Side Effects of "Moderate" Cocaine Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

soneal97

Greenlighter
So, a friend of mine discovered cocaine at the beginning of this year. To date, he has done about four grams, buying a gram or so every couple of weeks. Now, I don't have any experience with this stuff, myself, so my question to you is whether or not cocaine use at this level (a gram every couple weeks) could cause any serious physical or mental problems, addiction aside. The reason I'm worried is that I have heard many a time that cocaine has the ability to cause brain damage. I've also heard that it can cause problems with the cardiovascular system, perhaps eventually triggering a heart attack. I don't want to push into his business, as I have my own bad habits, and I understand the way things are. But I just wanted to make a general inquiry to those who may know. Will this usage, assuming it stays the way it is, cause any noticeable brain damange? Will it create a questionable condition for his heart? Hell, is it going to destroy his nose, eventually? I'm a little concerned. That's all. So any information would be appreciated.

Acute usage of pure cocaine is actually pretty safe unless you overdo it or you're generically predisposed to being sensitive to it.

The real risks come after continued usage, or when it's impure street cocaine. Cocaine is a pretty powerful vasoconstrictor (closes blood vessels), so there's that. In overdose or with continued usage it can shut off blood supply to e.g. heart and brain tissue as well as e.g. veins if injected or nasal/oral tissue if snorted/"gummed". This can cause the infamous nosebleeds and nasal damage. Said damage can be aggravated if there are bad cuts from either mechanical or chemical trauma. (snorting sand or acids = bad)

A lot of cocaine these days is likely cut with a drug called levamisole (before it leaves the countries of origin) which can stop your immune system from functioning properly. That's the main issue with cocaine these days, really.

If your friend doesn't make a habit of it (which seems unlikely) then he'll probably be okay. But continued usage of street coke is going to cause harm eventually. There's no telling when, however.

Yeah the amount your using is pretty responsible.. that being said cocaine can be highly addictive and habit forming IMO. So you may have it under control now but you are putting your self in teh position where you can go one of two ways.. stay responsible like you are being or a few months down the line you might end using coke more frequently and before you know it you are in a bad position using on a regular basis.

It happens to the best of us.. noone on this board plans to get addicts to drugs. Most of us thought we had more than enough willpower etc.. but these drugs will bring you to your knees. I never had too mucha problem wtih coke mainly because the physical dependency level is low and I was not a habitual 24/7 user ever. Shooting coke does put the drug on a new plain in 2 ways..the affects change IMO for the better, but it's also more fiendish like this.. and the comedown is worse..that's why I would never shoot coke without having dope with it.

So what is defined as continual or habitual usage? From what I've experienced, enough recovery time should be enough, eh? Allow your body enough time to regenerate...

Well even using like once am onth can turn into a problem.. you form a habit, it becoems all you think about etc.. then you end up once every 2 weeks, then its a slippery slope.

It's the same with all drugs you love, really.
Taking something once per month can hardly cause problems by itself. To be honest, if I knew I could take it only once per month, I would even try heroin. But it's just isn't possible to keep it that way. After 3 months it becomes weekly and another 3 months it's several times a week -> the end. Actual periods vary person to person but you get the idea

As others are saying its not all just about the physical, letting your body recover, aspect. The mental one plays a HUGE role. For some people its not even as drawn out a perio d as 6apb is posing: some people are hooked THAT DAY!

Some people mentally just cannot say no: i personally am one of them. Christ i'd love to do heroin/cocaine once a month but that is nottttttttttt happening for me.

Anyway mental aspect aside: COCAINE can have negative effects on your heart, even with doses such as yours. It causes your heart to beat too fast/frequently (among other reasons), putting extra stress on your heart and the muscles located therein, eventually weakening your heart. People with preexisting heart conditions should be VERY CAUTIOUS in using cocaine, in fact they should not use it at all if possible, as their heart is already in a delicate position, and any type of damage may be very very bad.

To boot, seiko is correct in that, on top of the cocaine itself, whatever shit they cut the coke with can have negative effect on your body (brain, liver, kidneys, whatever, who knows since we dunno whats in your blow). And dont kid yourselves: cocaine is ALWAYS cut, unless youre the guy harvesting the plant yourself.

So yes, it is bad for your heart, long term, even at your doses, as it keeps stressing the heart muscles. Yes, it could be bad for you in other ways because they cut cocaine with god knows what. And yes, it will damage your nose long term too, sniffing anything will do that.

I myself have noticed cocaine is particularly harsh on the nose, way harsher than pills or the likes. Not saying either is better/worse overall, but I mean I sniffed pills for as many years as friends doing blow, and they have holes in their nose, I do not.

I actually just bought a gram tonight...currently feelin good :)

I have been doing yay for ... well... since i was 19 when i first tried it, im 27 now. However, i proably do it 20 times a year... may seem like alot but when i do it, its in small amounts, Moderation.

I am a computer programmer and a marthoner (2 marathons, 1 triathlon to date)... I have yet to see any side effects. I ate salad and baked chicken this week... drank a few beers, went running 4 days this week with one visit to the gym. MODERATION!! Breakfast consists of a glass of cranberry juice (the real shit) a banada and yogurt...just as an example.

I dont think cocaine is addictive... whats addictive is the thought of doing it and the fun you 'remember' from the last time you did it.

Its all about moderation... yes... if you sit on your ass and snort yay, drink to the extreme, eat unhealthly and dont excercise along with the thought of yay isnt bad for you...then yes, you will have issues.

Have goals, party in moderation and no doctor can say yay is any worse then smoking a deck of smokes a day.

Toronto Canada, ROb.

I actually just bought a gram tonight...currently feelin good :)

I have been doing yay for ... well... since i was 19 when i first tried it, im 27 now. However, i proably do it 20 times a year... may seem like alot but when i do it, its in small amounts, Moderation.

I am a computer programmer and a marthoner (2 marathons, 1 triathlon to date)... I have yet to see any side effects. I ate salad and baked chicken this week... drank a few beers, went running 4 days this week with one visit to the gym. MODERATION!! Breakfast consists of a glass of cranberry juice (the real shit) a banada and yogurt...just as an example.

I dont think cocaine is addictive... whats addictive is the thought of doing it and the fun you 'remember' from the last time you did it.

Its all about moderation... yes... if you sit on your ass and snort yay, drink to the extreme, eat unhealthly and dont excercise along with the thought of yay isnt bad for you...then yes, you will have issues.

Have goals, party in moderation and no doctor can say yay is any worse then smoking a deck of smokes a day.

Toronto Canada, ROb.

As far as the deck o' smokes go, no doctor can say cocaine is worse for you than jumping in front of a train, drinking a half gallon of rotgut vodka a day or doing any number of dangerous things. We're talking apples and oranges here. The cigs are a lot more likely to cause emphysema and lung cancer in the long run: the cocaine has a greater chance of damaging your heart in the not-so-long run. (And when you toss levamisole into the mix, you have a whole new set of risks to worry about). And ISTR that cocaine doesn't play nicely with alcohol: one of the metabolites produced - ethylcocaine? - is pretty toxic stuff.

You're partially correct re: "addiction." Cocaine doesn't have the kind of withdrawal syndrome that opiates, barbituates or alcohol do. But it's very easy to develop a psychological dependency: dopamine reinforcement is a wonderful and terrible thing. I saw several of my college buddies - I went to school in the mid-80s - wreck themselves on coke, all the while swearing they had it under control. And it's a crapshoot as to whether you've got the penchant for cocaine addiction. I never had a problem with blow, but got myself all messed up on alcohol. I know others who were able to drink in moderation but turned into Scarface not long after their first line.

Moderation is definitely safer than hoovering ounces a week, in the same sense that 4-5 cigarettes a day cause less damage than 4-5 packs a day. But it's not "safe" by any means. If you have fun with it and can keep it under control, have a blast. But don't minimize the very real risks involved.

Your profile seems so sad, but is ultimately so relatable.

Sekio's post is very accurate.

Your profile description really took me aback. Is this the human condition? I mean, shit...I try to find meaning, but it's hard. I believe it's always been hard, hence the need and seeking out of drugs. Anyway, just thought I'd say I relate on many levels. Maybe good to know that others feel the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.