Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Acetyl l- carnitine

bustabraincell

Bluelighter
I have recently been sampling a bit of GVL, it seems a tatsty, legal alternative for gbl, although not as intense, but longer lasting, and yes, it is possible to "tip up" on it. It also seems very addictive (or maybe the effects are "moreish"). I was wondering if anyone has been using this long term, or what health issues are there. I feel that it cant do yr liver much good, and wonder if there is a way to turn it into something closer to GHB. Also , is there a way to convert n-butaric acid to gamma?

GVL Harm?

I have raised this before, but had no answers I am really looking for, and it is a couple of months down the track... I have been using GVL for about three months, now, maybe for three to four weeks at a time, and having a few days or a week off. I havent really had any side affects, except smelly urine and sweat. Does anyone know where I can find studies or info into using this stuff? I have also been taking acetyl l- carnitine as a supllement, and can really reccomend it.

I have also been taking acetyl l- carnitine as a supllement, and can really reccomend it.

I also recommend it, it's great, particularly when taken with alpha lipoic acid.

The acetyl-l- carnitine is no doubt what is making your urine smell - it's kinda like asparagus urine and can stink the whole house out. The smell also tends to come and go depending upon what else you eat.

What does taking acetyl-l-carnitine actually do for you as a supplement?

It's been longed claimed that carnitine and acetyl-l-carnitine both increase metabolism, although several reports concluded this was not the case. Then, about 2 years ago a team of US researchers claimed that when taken with alpha lipoic acid, acetyl-l-carnitine increased metabolism by actually increasing the size of mitochondria. It's great for quick starting elimination and aids in weight loss for some people. My wife's mum lost incredible amounts of weight while taking the two supplements, and others I know also achieved great results.

The biggest problem IMO is the cost of the acetyl-l-carnitine. I looked into purchasing in bulk but the saving wasn't all that great.

phase_dancer: sounds like a supplement I wouldn't want to take, given I have a high metabolic rate and tend to lose, rather than gain too much weight.

I remember carnitine being used to increase muscle weight - an old boyfriend used it in combination with weight training with good results.

like you, tronica, I tend towards ectomorphology, Can't put on wieght unless i go into serious training, which i am too lazy to do, however I find that since starting on Acetyl-l-carnitine, i find that tend to wake up and hit the ground running, very little grogginess in the morning, and dont really need coffee, although i have some anyway, usually for flavour, maybe we should move this to a new thread, seems ppl are interested, and I really would like to find more about gvl, the erowid cannot give much info.

ALCAR (as it is affectionately called) is a great supplement :)

I have used it for its 'nootropic' benefits (memory, cerebral metabolism etc)

I found that it increased my motivation to 'get shit done' (and waking up alert, as a previous poster mentioned). Memory was also better (this is always a pretty subjective thing to assess tho)

The general theory is that you combine it with ALA to counteract the oxidative stress that ALCAR causes...

(also: cardio workouts on ALCAR > cardio workouts without alcar)