• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

According to the Winnipeg Police Services, patients can only medicate at home

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
I've spent most of my day wasting away on the phone, trying to find out where prescribed patients (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) are legally allowed to use their medicine and the answer is.....

In their own houses (if they own one) or in someone else's owned house. No apartments or Condominiums; just separate, detached houses. That's it.

And if you use your prescribed medicine elsewhere, its a $672 fine.

Cannabis tourism in Manitoba? Uh uh, forget it - there is no place for you here.

Growing 4 plants w/o medical permission will cost you $2500.

Tom

Yikes - that's insane. If people are vaping, it doesn't cause any issues like strong smells, stains, or whatever the reason is for that.
Is it tied up with some kind of hand-wringing (or public liability/OHS pressures on "passive smoking" type issues?)

It would seem that rules like this result in massive discrimination against lower socioeconomic classes of people.
Hopefully reforms will iton out the shitty bugs in the legislation that has made legal cannabis accessible at all - so i hope there is a lot of debate and activism on this, because it seems pretty unreasonable.
I've lived in flats and apartments and all sorts of places over the years, where i've smoked a ton of weed without ever bothering the neighbours.

Cannabis clubs have been around for decades, but legal ones are fairly new -- for medical patience and recreational users alike.

When Colorado first legalized weed, the medical social smoking clubs got shut down in compliance with the new regulations. This had been a seemingly big issue for years with tourist never having a place to go light up. The thing is , tourism has never been better in CO. It didn't really do anything at all. It turns out that weed isn't as social of a drug as something like alcohol.

Colorado finally approved of legal social weed clubs, but they aren't really taking off as much as many had thought. It's actually not that big of a deal.

Sure it's been nice to say I've gone to a coffee shop or the like, but that's about it. It's nice. It's not necessary.

Salutations,

It's actually planned vilification, that's all.

Some saw it coming long before the 2015 elections, others still pursue a mirage.

Wall of Shame.

The mirage I pursued was that I would be allowed to cultivate at home without using my medical license.

But no, I am not happy with the way legalization is developing in Manitoba (and Quebec and Nunavut also, especially). Annoying enough that people who do not own a detached house will be unable to consume anywhere without the largesse of friends/neighbors/family - the Manitoba provincial sales tax has been removed for recreational sales but not for medical users and an additional 1$/gram tax also being applied.

Can't touch the product.

Can't see the product except under sealed glass/plastic.

You don't get to see the product you are purchasing (opaque labels).

Can't smell the product.

Everything is preweighed and presealed.

Tom

Washington has had the same problem with not being able to regulate homegrown recreational weed and is currently trying to change that. They also don't allow you to smell the product that you are looking at (with the exception of a separate smell jar). A new bill is in the House currently trying to change this rule so that it's even more relaxed than their neighbors in Oregon. Washington could soon go from not having any recreational homegrown to having almost twice as much allowed as their neighbors in Oregon.

None of these issues are unique. They have and are being dealt with in other places, since way before 2015, don't mean to burst your bubble.

Washington has had the same problem with not being able to regulate homegrown recreational weed and is currently trying to change that. They also don't allow you to smell the product that you are looking at (with the exception of a separate smell jar). A new bill is in the House currently trying to change this rule so that it's even more relaxed than their neighbors in Oregon. Washington could soon go from not having any recreational homegrown to having almost twice as much allowed as their neighbors in Oregon.

None of these issues are unique. They have and are being dealt with in other places, since way before 2015, don't mean to burst your bubble.

No fear. As a medical user I've got it pretty good in that I can use all my purchases as a medical deduction at tax time as well as receive a 100% reimbursement from my insurance company for a portion of my purchases. When the provincial government changes from conservative (republican equivalent) to NDP (to the left of Bernie Sanders) the laws will change. And the first person who gets busted for growing 4 plants that manages to get their court case raised high enough will probably win.

Tom

I want this to be a smashing success, but....

-legalization hits in 4+ weeks and not a single location of a store in Winnipeg (~710,000 pop) has been announced.
-the city of Winnipeg is considering implementing extra taxes on top of the federal excise tax, goods and services tax (federal), provincial sin tax and provincial social responsibility tax, specifically to cover their estimated increased costs.

Now, given that stores obviously aren't ready I expect local, provincial and federal pols to say 'Use the mail order system that has been set up'. Well, there is the possibility of a federal mail strike on Sept 26th, effectively shutting down mail order Cannabis. Yeah, there are courier services, but most of the excess capacity has been earmarked for medical deliveries.

Tom

^ Wasn't that the topic of your last thread and we found out you guys are going to have to wait until April of next year to get your stores? Boo-hoo.

I went through years of bullshit and didn't post one thread about. It became a bigger success than I could have imagined.

You Canadians are going to be on the forefront of international trade. You have unique topics to discuss but you seem to only want to talk about the ones that have already been solved.

Patience is on your side.

I've been smoking joints/blunts in public since possession was a crime, guess I've been lucky (still illegal to smoke outside here.)

w01fg4ng; I understand where you're coming from. And yeah, places like Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Maine(?), Ma(?) and others have already gone through the shit, and in most cases solved their problems or created unique location dependent solutions. Canada? No, we create unique problems where none existed.

I'm still going to find things to whine about Cdn legalization and I apologize if it bothers you. Latest madness is that police, cadets and civilian patrols can demand proof of the origin of Cannabis if they so choose. No proof of origin and you get a ticket for $672 and confiscation. Even if you are consuming on private property. Now I really don't think many will actually demand to see the bill of sales or the original packaging (but they can).

The police department is planning on purchasing several hundred digital scales; you know to ensure that we're not above the magical 30g limit.

Yeah our industries might be on the global forefront of the Cannabis industry (actually I would give that nod to Colorado and eventually California); I'm just a poor slob of a user who doesn't feel like I should have to carry receipts and original packaging around.

Manitoba, specifically and Quebec seem hellbent on destroying this industry that they would rather not exist - ediles outlawed in condominiums/apartments.

Complaining - you betcha, because Canadians have the unique, almost distinct ability to fuck things up.

Tom

I appreciate reading of these teething problems, because my backwards homeland hasn't really begun legalising yet.

For me it's not a bad thing to be aware of the flaws in legislation, for activism purposes when we do eventually get there.

Davie, I don't have a problem with you discussing issues. You seem to have a lot of them so it might help to make the title of your threads match what you are talking about (if it's more than one issue, make the title exactly that).

What I do have a problem with is the fact that you seem to ignore some pretty blatantly ignorant claims such as:

planned vilification
Such conspiracy theories like "planned vilification" will only get you corrected if you don't come correct.

Even people on the other side of the world (like spacejunk) can see that these are simply "teething problems."

Congrats, btw