• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Accidental Overdose

KilNStitch

Greenlighter
Without judgment, I need to ask for advice but don't know who to go to. My boyfriend and I experimented with heroin and recently he got me to shoot it up. Immediately after i felt good, but within minutes I blacked out and had a seizure. I'm aware this can happen with overdosing but could angone explain to me the physiology of why this happens?
Also should I see a doctor, it's been a few weeks since this incident but I want to know if there will be any permanent damage?
And I know it was a irresponsible decision but Im looking for answers and not scrutiny. Also this may not be the right spot for me to post pleasr help

Well an irresponsible decision needs a responsible answer. Don't start something you won't be able to easily stop. The high is not worth it. I would say it was but the volume of drug needed to get that high will increase probably beyond your financial means. So again I'd suggest you stop now and don't think you'll be able to control it. Many here have said the same, and this way you won't have to worry about any negative physical effects.

Yeah...I would recommend just walking away from heroin and not looking back. Are you feeling alright now? Have you had seizures before? The first year I was using IV heroin/pharm opiates, I blacked out and had an OD/seizure while driving my work van. Really wish that I had used that evening as a reason to stop using, bc things only got more insane from there...quit while you're ahead.

Third for walk away. In a way, it's actually more scary that it took a few minutes for you black out after IVing versus practically immediately. So many IV opioid overdose stories I've heard involve someone passing out before even fully depressing the plunger, or otherwise found dead with the syringe still in their arm. I'm not saying that it's not possible to have adverse effects even well after dosing; it is. The timing just sticks out as a little unusual based on a lot of other experiences I've read, been told, etc.

Personally I would see a doctor if only for your own emotional well-being and to keep your worrying in check, although I know it can be tricky finding someone to see when you don't necessarily want to be permanently branded an addict and for all your health care providers to know.

I'm sure that was an incredibly frightening situation, so use it to your advantage if you can. Heroin is so not worth it.

At the very least, if you are determined to continue, I think this is a very good reason to stay away from the needle. I still think it's a great reason to not do heroin altogether (and there are so many) but if nothing else it seems like the needle is really not for you. I wish it were for no one, but what are you going to do...

Don't use heroin, or even other opiates ever again.

Also, yes do see a doctor or medical professional. Be honest about how you used heroin and had a seizure you will not get in trouble.

Last edited:
I hate to keep saying what everybody is saying, but Heroin is god damn worthless. I might have a different experience, because I used black tar heroin, and it was only for a week. But I progressed with the stuff fast, and decided to shoot it up. Of course I missed, but I got lucky, and the lump went away within minutes. The point is that there is so much that can go wrong with heroin. You can have unpure shit, and shooting up is extremely hard. Even those who are experienced miss, and this can lead to abscess. Really if you are looking for an opiate high or just pain relief medication is the way to go. It might be more expensive, but at least you know what you're getting. Anyway I know that seizures can cause damage to your brain because you are shaking, and you could hit your head on something. I'm not going to pretend to have my doctorates in medicine, but it really depends what type of seizure occurred. I know in some types of seizures, your brains structure is changed. I would get an MRI to make sure that your brain wasn't permanently effected.

You're really lucky to be alive. Don't use heroin again, and get away from the BF that had you shoot up-unless of course it was your own choice to shoot up and you got the heroin yourself.

Yes do get checked out by a doctor and tell them how you OD'd and had a seizure.