• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Abscess-trying to drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

killercristal

Greenlighter
So I went to do a shot of meth, and accidentally shot it on a vein that had major damage further up it. So it registered and shot fine at first, but after a few seconds I didn't get the rush and then further up my arm started burning and hurting. It immediately swelled to the size of an egg, my arm was tingley and kinda numb, and it felt warm(not really to the touch, but it felt like I had something very warm pressed against my skin).
I have tried all the "common" things I've read about, like immediately putting a warm compress on it for a while, holding my arm above my head, and nothing is making it better or seam to go away.

I know an abscess doesn't form that fast, but I was wondering if it does turn into an abscess, how would I go about draining it? Being around a lot of IV users, I've heard plenty of people talk about doing it on their own(yes, she knows it's recommended you see a doctor), but has never paid attention to their explanation of how they did it because I've never had one.
Please, save your time and don't bother posting "just go to a doctor" and how unsafe it is to do it on your own, because I'm an IV drug user, obviously I'm not that concerned about how "unsafe" something like this is. I don't have insurance, but I already said if it gets too bad I'll suck it up and go see a doctor, I can't risk losing that arm, my honey hole is on it(lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not use SWIM on this forum. It is against the rules.

Homeless ----> OD

You should go to a doctor. But in an emergency this is a medical procedure and explanation of what you should have after words and everything else. This is the proper way of doing it but I don't know if you have access to the equipment needed to do it. If you can not get someone to perform this you should go to the ER.

That being said if you just don't give a shit.

1) Put a hot compress on and off it for a couple hours to try to get it to come to a head
2) then take a razor blade an nick the head of it. Then using latex glove and gauze push from underneath. It is difficult to explain what I mean but if you can't just push down on it. That will just create painful pressure.
3) You have to get your fingers to the edges push together until the skin turns white, then try to push down and up under neath the pocket. Also beware this stuff will squirt all over the place if you decide to do it this way and it will be very painful and you may not get all the puss out because of the clotted blood and puss. Learn as much as you can from this video and do it as close to this way as possible.

Last edited:
So I went to do a shot of meth, and accidentally shot it on a vein that had major damage further up it. So it registered and shot fine at first, but after a few seconds I didn't get the rush and then further up my arm started burning and hurting. It immediately swelled to the size of an egg, my arm was tingley and kinda numb, and it felt warm(not really to the touch, but it felt like I had something very warm pressed against my skin).
I have tried all the "common" things I've read about, like immediately putting a warm compress on it for a while, holding my arm above my head, and nothing is making it better or seam to go away.

I know an abscess doesn't form that fast, but I was wondering if it does turn into an abscess, how would I go about draining it? Being around a lot of IV users, I've heard plenty of people talk about doing it on their own(yes, she knows it's recommended you see a doctor), but has never paid attention to their explanation of how they did it because I've never had one.
Please, save your time and don't bother posting "just go to a doctor" and how unsafe it is to do it on your own, because I'm an IV drug user, obviously I'm not that concerned about how "unsafe" something like this is. I don't have insurance, but I already said if it gets too bad I'll suck it up and go see a doctor, I can't risk losing that arm, my honey hole is on it(lol).

I'm an IV user. I have a needle fixation and have poked myself up to 1000 times in a single sitting. Obviously, I am not THAT concerned with my health. I've had an abscess. Despite having doctor friends who could've taken care of it, I went to the ER. I don't give a flying fuck if you don't want to hear this, but if you puncture it and the abscess drains into a vein you could lose your life. It's not that uncommon either. If you go to the ER to have this treated, the bill should not be that high. Well worth the life you still call your own. You could ask for the price in advance and ask for minimal treatment.

An abscess can grow quite quickly, sometimes bursting to leak into the surrounding tissue. This can happen within a couple of days from injection to sepsis (worst case). Sepsis meaning that in the worst case even after receiving not only adequate, but optimal treatment you will possibly lose your life.
You'll notice pain, swelling, redness, warmth. If that happens, go to the ER immediately. It's an emergency and it can cost you your life. It cannot be stressed enough.

As for advice how to drain it yourself without sterile equipment, there just is no way.

Given you have sterile equipment and feel up to doing this with one hand (lol), there are plenty of videos and articles meant for medical staff. If you really can't find any good information on it let me know and I'll try to dig up an article/video.

Basically the procedure is as follows...

You use ice spray for local anesthesia (cowboys use nothing at all), local anesthetics won't work as expected due to the acidity around the inflamed tissue. You cut that shit open (whichever direction you think will result in the least scarring). Don't cut to deep or pus will end up leaking internally (very bad news). You then take a spoon and get all the fucking pus out of it. Go scrape that shit out, baby. Feel the pain. Let it soak in. Cry tears of joy.
There are small pieces of medical equipment (can't think of the english name) which you can put in there so the wound stays open. Ask for those in the pharmacy.
More pus is probably gonna form which is why you don't want the wound to heal so quickly. Apply antiseptic (see below).

Depending on how large an abscess is treatment after initial drainage will vary. You might have to clear it out multiple times. Make sure to put a shitload of antiseptic in there (povidon-iod is cheap and effective, plus it's old school, verry cowboy, very punk rock). Make sure it stays open until the pus really is all gone. It can take weeks. You also might want to use a splint to limit movement in the area. It's of importance there is no mechanical stress on the wound.

Make sure to get some amoxicillin and clavulanic acid and eat the shit out of it for a week (if not otherwise prescribed use x mg per day. blah, you get the idea). You might want to use a protone pump inhibitor like pantoprazol (otc in most places) with that or you are likely to suffer bad stomach aches.

All that being said, I don't see why you would have an abscess. If your solution was sterile, your tissue will eventually just resorb the extravasate (stuff outside the vessels that was supposed to end up inside them). You might find some collagenous tissue there later (internal scarring) but it shouldn't become infected. Aseptic abscesses after IV use are relatively uncommon afaik, but don't quote me on that [(a)septic = (not) containing pathogenic contaminants].

Man I've missed so many shots, my subcutaneous fatty tissue felt like a cherry pit pillow at times. If above symptoms show though, don't hesitate for a second to go to the ER (or drain it yourself at the very least, but be aware the risk of death is significant).

As for picking a hospital, use the one in the worst part of town with the most junkies around. They are gonna have the most experience in treating needle abscesses there.

If it really turns out to be an abscess (I have a feeling you're just a whiny little bitch ;)), enjoy your surgery and enjoy your week long recovery, but most of all:

Keep it cowboy!

Last edited:
I just want to add that in San Francisco, where there is an unusually high occurrence of drug-related abscesses, SF General Hospital created a clinic specifically for treating abscesses with I&D (incision and drainage). It's cheap and the doctors DEFINITELY don't judge - they cut through abscesses all day long. It may be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with potential abscess/skin clinics in your area that treat the underserved. Large metropolitan areas should have one. I used to freak out about abscesses, and shamefully going to the ER/urgent care, but as others as have pointed out, doing I&D on your own is very unlikely to be successful. http://www.sfghambulatoryservices.com/?page_id=1238

is the swelling/abscess at the point where u ived or further up where the pain was. it sounds like your veins clotted or blocked/fucked where the pain was, and the fluid cant geet past taht point , so it builds up hurts creates pressure and can seep back out. it might not form an abscess but will be painful/swollen where the fluids sat.

Fuck draining it yourself. That's a great way to end dying of sepsis.

Having been septic at one point I recommend not doing this yourself.

I seem to be saying this kind of thing a lot recently... " I've been in xyz drug-related health condition, go get treatment " ...ugh

Please see a doctor if you have an abscess, don't attempt home treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.