• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

About Tramadol and SERT Values.

Nah I was just curious. I took tramadol for nearly 10 years and it had a great affect on my depression that was unmatched my many other drugs. After I was no longer able to get it, I tried Effexor thinking it would feel similar to tramadol, but it didn't. It actually made me feel sick and dysphoric and even manic at times. So there must be something special about tramadol that Effexor is lacking. I would say the opioid part, but I also take buprenorphine and have used tramadol ontop of it with still some effect.

Of course, I am too ignorant to pull off any chemistry conversion if there were one. lol But I know many other drugs can be turned into something else just by mixing it with certain things. I enjoy learning about pharmacodynamics & pharmacology though and bits of chemistry when I can understand it. So I was just generally curious.
I wish I worked in a lab. :p :p :p
Cheers MsDiz! :)
Yeah it’s a shame Effexor didn’t work for you.

Tramadol is so useful for some people and I think if it were used more wisely with a proper dosing regime and tolerance breaks that it would be a lifesaver for many.

Yeah it’s a shame Effexor didn’t work for you.

Tramadol is so useful for some people and I think if it were used more wisely with a proper dosing regime and tolerance breaks that it would be a lifesaver for many.
I completely agree!

I'd say buprenorphine is on par with tramadol with it's antidepressant effect. Though, I think tramadol is still better for my situation.
I find it amazing how close in structure and what not a drug can be to another drug and how they can have such widely drastic different effects.
It's also a bit irritating knowing a drug is close to another one but there's nothing you can do about it! :p haha

Would it be possible to convert venlafaxine into tramadol through some sort of chemistry?
I was waiting for someone else to come along and refute this; seeing sekio's terse response I'll simply add that the similarities in conformation are in actuality not so much structurally (as the nomenclature would describe it) and are definitely not synthetically parallel.

Even without chemistry knowledge look at the nitrogen coming off the ring system directly on one and having a mutual bridge with the arene on the other. When systems with a difference of a single methylene unit or heteroatom have entirely different synthetic pathways with no relation to one another, it is often much easier making them from scratch than turning one into another despite superficial morphological similarity.

I was waiting for someone else to come along and refute this; seeing sekio's terse response I'll simply add that the similarities in conformation are in actuality not so much structurally (as the nomenclature would describe it) and are definitely not synthetically parallel.

Even without chemistry knowledge look at the nitrogen coming off the ring system directly on one and having a mutual bridge with the arene on the other. When systems with a difference of a single methylene unit or heteroatom have entirely different synthetic pathways with no relation to one another, it is often much easier making them from scratch than turning one into another despite superficial morphological similarity.

Thanks for explaining it a little more in depth Nagelfar! I learned a little something new today!

Would it be possible to convert venlafaxine into tramadol through some sort of chemistry?

that is, like the weirdest shit i have seen so far. why would someone wanna do that??? tramadol is ok, nothing amazing or needed by the mass. but getting venlafaxine to convert to tramadol... wait... it blows my mind im sorry!

that is, like the weirdest shit i have seen so far. why would someone wanna do that??? tramadol is ok, nothing amazing or needed by the mass. but getting venlafaxine to convert to tramadol... wait... it blows my mind im sorry!

Well, some of us like tramadol and have an abundance of venlafaxine.
Some of us find tramadol a better antidepressant than velafaxine.

Many drugs can be turned into other drugs. (psuedoephedrine to meth for example)
You can also make new/better opioids by using Acetic anhydride.

My heroin dealer is also in prison for murder. And I just moved a few months ago to a new area, so it's not like I have connections for strong and exotic opiates coming out of my ass. I was curious about the possibility. Thanks for your rather judgemental and useless input.

Last edited:
just get tianeptine dude. i have been addicted to tramadol, and since switching to tianeptine i forgot what tramadol is. anyway, sorry i didnt mean to make fun of your weird idea of turning one antidepressant into another. its always best, just get the right antidepressant for you, thats it!