• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids About addiction vs. physical dependency

GammaRae

Greenlighter
In the past few recent years,. I have had a baby, finished school, got my master's degree, and acquired my license as a mental health counselor. Most importantly, I've gotten clean! As none of you may remember I had been horribly addicted to heroin and strong painkillers for nearly 10 years. I was able to successfully able to finally quit after finding out I was pregnant I finally had the motivation, commitment, reason, and drive to not only get clean and stop allowing dope to consume my life. I did so in a somewhat controversial way, I did use methadone. But regardless of that, today I am clean.

I have studied addiction and the substances that contribute to this condition at great length both in my education and also in my field work. I have seen a small degree of physical dependency to opiates occur after using them heavily for only a few weeks. This makes sense to me and I have no doubts about this. My question is, does physical dependency occur faster in addicts who have gotten clean and are then exposed to their addictive substance again more so than the average person without an addiction history? I have had several clients insist that they had withdrawals after using only one use or dose opiates. For example, one woman had been clean for three years. She went into the hospital to deliver her baby. Things didn't go according to plan and she had to have an emergency cesarean section. After waking up when she was still groggy and a bit confused about what was going on she complained of being in pain, the doctor told her he'd take care of this. The next thing she knew she was being given an intravenous dose of hydromorphone (Dilaudid). She claims that after this dose wore off she experienced HORRIBLE withdrawals. Similarly, another woman I worked with went into the hospital for knee surgery after being clean for only one year. She was embarrassed about her history of addiction and thought she could just turn down the narcotics without it being noticed. Her boyfriend who also didn't know about her history complained to her doctor and nurses that she was in too much pain and that they needed to do something about it. The next thing this woman knew a nurse was bringing her in a shot of Dilaudid. She was given this every 4-6 hours for the entire day until she was discharged. She claimed that she too, after a very short period of time on the narcotic opiate painkillers experienced withdrawals.

My issue with this is this, I don't see any logical reason why someone would become physically dependent to a drug faster the second. Or third time they are exposed to it than the first time. I do understand that the mind is very powerful and that these people who think that are going through withdrawal may be going through some sort of psychological symptoms but I just don't believe someone can becom physically dependent on a substance again of any kind after only a day or even two or three. In my learned education and personal experience, addiction and physical dependency are very different things.

Does anyone have any reliable or credible information on why or if addicts become physically dependent faster during the second exposure than the standard time period it took them to become dependent during their first exposure? Are there any studies or research that has been done on this one of you could possibly link me to?

If I am wrong, and addicts for some reason ARE truly able to sometimes become physically dependent to narcotics faster than others, I'd be very interested in knowing why! Any information beyond just opinion or personal experience (which is of course also welcome!) I would especially appreciate!

I do apologize if this question is posted twice or if it should be posted somewhere else! If either is the case, please let me know and I'll fix it!

Hi there, this phenomenon of worsening withdrawal is known as kindling. Here is a study demonstrating it in animals http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3055568/

Kindling is most well studied with GABA drugs like benzos and alcohol, I couldn't find much specifically about opiates besides the above study but I assume the mechanisms are much the same.

Basically long term potentiation increases the strength of glutamate neurons, so when you stimulate these cells they grow stronger. When you withdraw from benzos you get rebound glutamate, and the glutamate then grows stronger because of long term potentiation. You can imagine after repeated withdrawals that the glutamate is pretty darn strong. There is a lot of evidence suggesting that intermittent use of drugs causes much more severe changes in terms of addiction and dependence (addiction related neuro plasticity) because the intermittent use predisposes the animal/human to kindling.

Hope this was helpful, any questions are welcome.

i think in terms of these examples given it is likely a psychological reaction and less a physical one.
the anticipation and memory of wd likely plays a part in it.

i know you can become addicted again to opiates sooner after being addicted at some point in the past but the window of time from everything i have seen and heard more than a one off or 24 hours. esp after being clean for such extended periods of time as you described.

Just a thought-those who are physically dependent are unlikely to have the same use/clean periods as those who are addicted by the classic definitions

This phenomenon is interesting to me as well. I am in that population that used to be heavily addicted (1-2g of H per day for approximately 2 years straight) but quit (using a buprenorphine rapid taper). I was totally clean of all opioids for about 3 months but have smoked H a few times socially since then. I can report with near total certainty that any hangover or withdrawal feeling I get the day after is mostly psychosomatic in origin.

The same way that my nose starts to run and eyes get watery when I know I'm about to smoke some H (they are withdrawal symptoms, but I am not in withdrawal - its somwthing akin to Pavlovian conditioning brought about purely in the mind).

The same way that my nose starts to run and eyes get watery when I know I'm about to smoke some H (they are withdrawal symptoms, but I am not in withdrawal - its something akin to Pavlovian conditioning brought about purely in the mind).

Interesting. Your body expects the behavior based/ due to previous experiences.
Same as getting your sniffing nose right before doing Coke even if you have not done it in a long time.

I get something similar with alcohol. When I decide I'm going to drink, I get what I can only call a slight buzzing feel and very happy (before I take a drink), even though I have gotten more misery than bliss from alcohol for years now

Changing them reward pathways are like trying to reroute a railroad track with your mind.

Interesting. Your body expects the behavior based/ due to previous experiences.
Same as getting your sniffing nose right before doing Coke even if you have not done it in a long time.

Exactly! When I did coke a lot (would go to bars/clubs 3-4 nights a week and wouldn't go without a sack of yayo) my nose would "salivate" before the first bump/line.

I have a feeling this kindling effect is somehow related.