• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

A weird question about oxycodone

iaou

Bluelighter
So this happened awhile ago but now that I have found blue light I thought its a good place to see if anyone knows the answer to it.

when I first took oxycodone I took 10mg and I know it’s from a real script 100 percent but it did nothing for the first couple of times but then I did it and it got me really high. Why did it not work the first few times? I did the same dose every time I tried it

thanks!

Oxy was weird like that for me too. The first time I tried 2x 10mg percocet I felt nothing for the first few hours after the initial one. Then I dosed the 2nd one and was ridiculously high. Can't explain it.

Yeah that’s kinda like me, but now when ever I dose I get high it was just like that at first but man I wish I just stayed with thinking it did nothing.

Oxy was weird like that for me too. The first time I tried 2x 10mg percocet I felt nothing for the first few hours after the initial one. Then I dosed the 2nd one and was ridiculously high. Can't explain it.

Odd, that once happened to me on just codeine. I take 10 a day usually and I had ordered a 112 from an online pharmacy (before the 2019 ban) and the first 10 did nothing, next 10 did nothing and I thought I'd been scammed but took another 10 with that "can I feel something or not" feeling when waiting for pills to kick in.
And about half an hour later I was more codeine high than I'd ever been and got a real telling off from my wife for scratching my legs until theywere bleeding.
Might be something to with the liver and how codeines/codones are metabolised with liver enzymes.
I have cirrhosis and sometimes codeine and DFs work different even though they are Pharma.

These phenomena are fairly common, I mostly hear this reported when people first use opiates, weak stims, and weed. It could be a reaction of the brain to a new substance or it could be unintentional or unknown physiological circumstance like a full stomach blunting the effects etc.

Last edited:
I'm going to move this over to pharmacology because this phenomenon is something a little bit more complex than what we would typically deal with here in the HR forums.

This might not be helpful, but for me I have to take handfuls of oxycodone for it to work against pain let alone feel anything from it. At least 30mg I guess, then I got high once I took close to 50mg

Odd, that once happened to me on just codeine. I take 10 a day usually and I had ordered a 112 from an online pharmacy (before the 2019 ban) and the first 10 did nothing, next 10 did nothing and I thought I'd been scammed but took another 10 with that "can I feel something or not" feeling when waiting for pills to kick in.
And about half an hour later I was more codeine high than I'd ever been and got a real telling off from my wife for scratching my legs until theywere bleeding.
Might be something to with the liver and how codeines/codones are metabolised with liver enzymes.
I have cirrhosis and sometimes codeine and DFs work different even though they are Pharma.
If you have cirrhosis your liver will metabolise codeine worse than someone with a healthy liver. Also you should go easy with something that relies heavily on the liver to be processed! Your liver is already very very impaired. You should actually use less than what's normally recommended therapeutically.

IR they are the RP 325 10mg Percocets
Was it IR or ER/PR?

IR means instant release. PR is prolonged release and ER is extended release. Prolonged and extended release are the same thing really. With prolonged/extended release the substance is released over the course of 12 hours and not all at once like with normal instant release tabs/capsules.

I don't think the reason for this is known, there are analogous effects with alcohol, THC, nicotine, etc. that can be observed in those naive to the substances. Look at how many people don't get high from smoking weed until a few times later. Is it because they're not inhaling right? Is it that they don't "recognize" the effects of the drug? Who knows.

Also you should go easy with something that relies heavily on the liver to be processed! Your liver is already very very impaired. You should actually use less than what's normally recommended therapeutically.

The liver isn't burdened by metabolizing drugs. Also, oxycodone does not need to be metabolized by the liver at all to become active.

Last edited:
Might be something to with the liver and how codeines/codones are metabolised with liver enzymes
As sekio said: codones do not necessarily require heptatic demethylation like codeine to function; though their respective downstream morphone metabolite is often much more active.

The issue I have, I either get high, nothing or nauseos, no rhyme or reason as to which one happens

are you taking it on an empty stomach or with food?
do you have any sort of gastric problems?