• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc A warning to new Kratom users

I was always told that anything that makes you feel half decent you will eventually feel the side effects, or play the piper..

I knew this woman personally and still do.. She had depression, coldness, skin crawlies, could not sleep, headaches etc.. I do not know the highest dose she took but I do know she went very low for a while to taper off and quit..

Her doctor actually dislikes methadone and suboxone and does not take patients who want these meds, but based on the amount of patients coming to her in withdrawals from kratom she does know what she is talking about..

Im a severe alcoholic who has damaged kidneys, and probably an ailing liver. Ive never had a test done regarding either (Im poor), but my kidneys hurt when I drink excessively (often), and Ive drank horrendously for over 8 years, even mixed alprazolam and carisoprodol (Xanax and Soma) with large amounts of liquor plenty of times. If my liver isnt damaged, its probably a miracle. Im the type to drink a 5th or more of hard liquor at a time, even more at times.

So my conclusion, not just from this thread but the ones Ive stumbled upon before, is that Kratom causes adverse hepatic reactions mostly in those with compromised livers. A few of the links in this thread supporting OPs theory go to anecdotes about liver damage, admittedly preceded by booze problems. As someone whose liver cant possibly be functioning at 100%, I figure could provide some evidence towards confirming this issue. Im gonna mosey on over to my head shop later and purchase my first ever bag of Kratom. Ill be looking to try Bali or Maeng Da if they have it.

If I undergo any yellow eyes, yellowing skin, grey stools, exceptional abdominal pain, or any other classical signs of jaundice, Im going to stop immediately and post my results here. Hopefully the signs manifest sooner rather than later, Id only like to buy 1 bag... But if I can replicate the results of other people, it might be evidence that Kratom use is unhealthy for those with altered liver function.

Would like to add that I have the exact same symptoms after 2week use. I'd like to know what was his outcome. He didn't update! ? I got lab wirk being done now.

Would like to add that I have the exact same symptoms after 2week use. I'd like to know what was his outcome. He didn't update! ? I got lab wirk being done now.

You are also associated and addicted with pills. Let's just remember that there can always be factors outside evident conclusion; just like they're ate factors that are clearly evident.

I've used kratom for half a year. I am also getting a piss test to check for kidney stones etc. But I'd like to mention that my using will cause withdrawal and my urine to turn brown/dark yellow.
And I was always be dehydrated).
If anything shows up I'll let you know; but aside from some loss of colour in my stool (seeing as it's an opiate) I only experience typical adverse withdrawal symptoms so far.

Also because of the unknown source that comes with kratom; who knows what is put in it or added to it? Do your research always!!

I sincerely hope there is no permanent damage and you guys are okay.

As a kratom user, I find it funny when people deny the existence of these rare liver issues associated with kratom use in a small sub-set of people when kratom is clearly the cause in some of these cases ie. I developed these symptoms after starting kratom, I quit, they went away, (and in some cases) they came back as soon as I took kratom again. All of them describe the same type of issue, intra-hepatic cholestasis. If this were a batch issue there would be spikes in complaints all around the same time this hypothetical tainted batch was released, only we see scattered reports from a small number of users with a similar story.

We obviously don't know why the damage occurs, but what we need to take from this is that a small amount of users have issues with kratom and people should be on the lookout for any of these symptoms when taking kratom, and people with existing liver problems should never take kratom in the first place. All reports show that the damage is anything but permanent and recover is made shortly after the kratom is stopped. I've always assumed this is a metabolization issue being that most users can use heavy, heavy amounts and never have their enzyme levels spike while some develop these liver issues from as little as a few uses.

Either way, I don't see this as anything groundbreaking being that the amount of people affected is so small, the warning signs are so obvious, and the damage isn't permanent. Not a huge deal, but of course this is gonna be the first argument made by officials to ban kratom. Either way ignoring or outright denying the existence of these issues won't make them go away, and may even come back to bite us in the ass should someone get hurt by not knowing the cause and continuing to take kratom.

Every report out there that offers a follow up say that all symptoms disappear within weeks to months after kratom is stopped. Your gonna be fine, just don't take anymore kratom

Last edited:
As a kratom user, I find it funny when people deny the existence of these rare liver issues associated with kratom use in a small sub-set of people when kratom is clearly the cause in some of these cases ie. I developed these symptoms after starting kratom, I quit, they went away, (and in some cases) they came back as soon as I took kratom again. All of them describe the same type of issue, intra-hepatic cholestasis. If this were a batch issue there would be spikes in complaints all around the same time this hypothetical tainted batch was released, only we see scattered reports from a small number of users with a similar story.

We obviously don't know why the damage occurs, but what we need to take from this is that a small amount of users have issues with kratom and people should be on the lookout for any of these symptoms when taking kratom, and people with existing liver problems should never take kratom in the first place. All reports show that the damage is anything but permanent and recover is made shortly after the kratom is stopped. I've always assumed this is a metabolization issue being that most users can use heavy, heavy amounts and never have their enzyme levels spike while some develop these liver issues from as little as a few uses.

Either way, I don't see this as anything groundbreaking being that the amount of people affected is so small, the warning signs are so obvious, and the damage isn't permanent. Not a huge deal, but of course this is gonna be the first argument made by officials to ban kratom. Either way ignoring or outright denying the existence of these issues won't make them go away, and may even come back to bite us in the ass should someone get hurt by not knowing the cause and continuing to take kratom.

Every report out there that offers a follow up say that all symptoms disappear within weeks to months after kratom is stopped. Your gonna be fine, just don't take anymore kratom
Yup.. that's what it looks like. I stopped and not my choice. I had to stop . Got me really sick. What will i dp thevthe 145mg i have left?

Im 100% positive liver problems are from the steriods bro. I mean 10 times? No way the kratom had any significant effect on liver function.

Op you are an idiot. Who takes designer steriods these days except teenagers? They are sooooo much harder on the liver than test enth or test cyp. Use the real stuff and quit being such a retard. Do you even lift bro? I'm not talking curls in the squat rack here either.

Dude, all oral steroids are really harsh on your liver. You need to make your way over to the steroid forum if you continue that.

I'm no scientist/doctor but I took kratom daily for 2+ years and was taking accutane in between there for 5-6 months. They tested all my liver levels every month as the meds were hard on the liver and I never had any problems.

Last edited:
As potentially one of the biggest kratom advocates on this forum, I'm definitely taking these reports more and more seriously. For the sake of the balance of data, I will add my experience:

I have been using kratom daily for several years, occasionally alternating sources, and I have never, ever, ever experienced anything that even comes into the realm of an indication of a health issue. As many others have reported, kratom has actually improved my health in many areas. I have been wanting to get my liver tested for a while now and I will gladly share my results when I do.

I'm very curious if there is a pattern here. Strains, preparation, substance combinations, diet, how other drugs/opioids affect you, etc.. I'd like to know more data about the people who are actually being diagnosed with lever toxicity, and what the rest of their lifestyle is. Just because you didn't actually combine another substance with kratom doesn't mean it didn't cause something to happen to your liver that kratom simply exposed or made worse. As a very loose analogy, if you swallow a razor blade and it slices a hole in your stomach, and then you drink coffee and the coffee leaks straight out into your organs and you die from it, and the toxicology report shows you had traces of caffeine all over your body, that doesn't mean the coffee is actually what killed you, it was the razor. It could be compared to people who are on MAOI meds and decide to take MDMA one day, and they die from a heart attack. That doesn't particularly mean that MDMA = heart attack. Perhaps certain people lack an enzyme naturally? There are millions of possibilities in a situation like this.

Something I notice is that occasionally, especially if I have more than usual, I can see a small amount of little granules in my stool that look like kratom. Doesn't seem that concerning, but it makes me wonder if the body has a hard time breaking down the kratom fiber and might be working extra hard if you aren't properly preparing your kratom. Dry powder is probably really tough on your insides, whereas properly saturated and steeped might be easier to digest. Just a thought.

As for the OP, I think it's clear that the 'roids played a significant role, but that doesn't free kratom of any potential blame.

Man, it's going to be a real hard day if we find out that kratom is actually not quite as benign as we've all been thinking. I really don't think so though. With the amount of usage I have behind me, the amount of friends that I've shared with and subsequently have involved into their routines, the amount of times my lady has had it, the drugs I've combined it with, and most importantly, the way I FEEL is really, really making it hard for me to believe it's going to be an issue for me. Obviously, we're all built differently.

Short backstory: I was hospitalized a few years ago with gastritis and out-of-control acid reflux. At my worst, for about a 2 week period, I was exploding pure stomach acid/bile (fluorescent yellow) and literally couldn't eat anything, which then evolved into similar continuous exploding out the other end. I had basically torn my GI system to shreds with extremely poor diet choices. I finally came around and started improving (relatively), improved my diet a bit, and also began experimenting with kratom, eventually developing a daily habit about a year later. I must say that since then, my GI system has not shown a single sign of being less than normal. I get some acid reflux flare-ups from time to time but honestly those are usually a result of not eating enough, not drinking enough water, too much coffee, etc.. I should also point out that I used to get sick regularly like most people (typical winter cold/flu stuff) and I had a habit of getting strep throat every couple of years. Ever since I started kratom, I have not gotten sick once. Not a single cold, no flu, no strep, absolutely nothing!! The WORST that has happened was a couple months ago when a bug was terrorizing my office that was taking people down for days at a time, and then almost reliably making them sick again a week later, I fought this off for a long time and then finally decided not to go into work ONE day because I just felt crappy, not even full blown sick. Ironically, that morning, when I got up and had kratom, I felt so much better I almost decided fuck it I'll go to work. :)

Case in point, kratom has done nothing but good for me so far. That's not to say it isn't slowly killing me.

In the depths of my former opiate addiction, I have tried every strain, extract, and isolate available. It all adds up to many shades of "Meh". It is cheap, usually legal, and will help with withdrawals, but do not expect any glowing experiences.

I have to take a multitude of medications for various medical problems (from autoimmune issues to asthma) and I have not experienced any problems with kratom in the 2+ years I've taken it. I also have regular (like every 2 to 3 months) liver tests and nothing has shown up abnormal. I also worked at an apothecary where the bulk of the business was kratom, and have never heard of any patrons or coworkers (who took it very liberally) having any medical problems.

There is a risk no matter how safe you believe a substance to be, and if you aren't prepared to possibly suffer negative consequences, don't do it in the first place.