• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A Tiny Fish With Uses Opioid-Like Venom To Escape Enemies

David Wooderson

Bluelighter
[h=1]A Tiny Fish With Fearsome Fangs Uses An Opioid-Like Venom To Escape Enemies[/h]
March 31, 20171:38 PM ET

Madeline K. Sofia

fangblenny_wide-97886c39eb6b65921ebb735bca69e918d4099576-s800-c85.jpg

The deceptively adorable fangblenny is only 2 inches long and lives in places like Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Anthony Romilio/University of Queensland

Don't be tricked by their appearance, fangblenny fish are the ocean's cutest jerks.

The fish are 2 inches long and live in places such as Australia's Great Barrier Reef. They make their living by nibbling on the scales and fins of bigger fish.

They sneak around and "carve out chunks of larger fish unsuspectingly" says Bryan Fry, an associate professor at the University of Queensland in Australia, "It's a really really uncool way to do it."

When they are caught and swallowed up by a predator, the blennies literally bite their way out of its mouth. The venom disorients the bigger fish, and the blennies escape to freedom.

Fry leads a group of researchers that has learned more about how venomous fangblennies do their thing.

The first step was to get some venom from the fangblenny fangs. Researchers had to pull the blennies out of a fish tank using a net. Then "we would just put a little cotton swab in front of them and they would instantly bite it and seconds later they were back in the water," Fry says.

fang-blenny-1-_custom-0d8ae6452d3e2062cec1ca7a27d8c3aac753a524-s800-c85.jpg

Ouch. Fangblennies have two large hollow fangs that deliver venom.

Richard Smith/OceanRealmImages.com

His group studied the chemical makeup of the blennies' toxin. The venom contains components similar to those found in the venom of scorpions. Surprisingly, it also contains an opioid peptide similar to those in painkillers. Their findings were published in the journal Current Biology on Wednesday.

When the researchers injected the blenny venom into mice, it didn't seem to cause the mice any pain.

This came as a big surprise, Fry says. "We expected that ... it's a defensive venom, so it's going to hurt like every other defensive venom," he adds.

Fangblennies need a defense because taking chunks out of big fish is a dangerous sport. Sometimes, when the blenny tries nibbling on a big fish, the big fish bites back, swallowing the blenny whole. When that happens the fangblenny literally chews its way out of the fish's mouth.

Fry believes the venom causes the larger fish to become dizzy. The disorientation allows the little fang-fish to give it the slip.

"Dizziness brought about by low blood pressure is a very common side effect for any kind of opioid. In this case, the side-effect is what's being used by the blenny," he says.

Fry says studying the unique opioid peptides in the fangblenny venom could be beneficial in the future. He thinks it's possible that researchers could stumble on a useful opioid drug.

"If you have one that's a bit less potent but a lot less addictive than something like Vicodin, that's already going to be a good thing."

According to Fry, that's one of the many arguments for conserving places such as the Great Barrier Reef.

"You have these beautiful little fish that could potentially yield the next wonder drug, but we can't do that if these animals aren't around."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...s-uses-an-opioid-like-venom-to-escape-enemies

Wow! So cool! :) Honestly amazing, I can't wait to see more and more intricate parts of nature discovered.

So how does one distill out the opioid from the scorpion venom...

Three years from now a good sign a person is a addict is a large fish tank full of blennies and a bunch of fishy cottons.

This is very cool info! I love venoms and biotoxins!
There is a researcher at James Cook University in Queensland by the name of Jamie Seymour who is studying the biotoxins in marine animals. He is primarily interested in the Irukandji I believe, and it, too, has potential applications in pain management.
Incidentally, OP mentions the chemical makeup of the venom containing compounds similar to scorpion venom. I was stung by a scorpion in July and I am still numb in that area. I should admit that I saw the scorpion and touched it in the hopes of experiencing the venom. As I said, I’m very interested in all biotoxins and studied this as part of my microbiology degree.

This is very cool info! I love venoms and biotoxins!
There is a researcher at James Cook University in Queensland by the name of Jamie Seymour who is studying the biotoxins in marine animals. He is primarily interested in the Irukandji I believe, and it, too, has potential applications in pain management.
Incidentally, OP mentions the chemical makeup of the venom containing compounds similar to scorpion venom. I was stung by a scorpion in July and I am still numb in that area. I should admit that I saw the scorpion and touched it in the hopes of experiencing the venom. As I said, I’m very interested in all biotoxins and studied this as part of my microbiology degree.
When I lived and surfed in aus the only thing that ever freaked me out in the water was that damn little jelly fish! I had seen box jellies and blue ringed octopus but that tiny invisible 1” jelly was the one that worried me. Still surfed and had a ball obvs!

Yep, Princess, that’s one scary marine animal and is an example of a creature who’s venom is vastly stronger than necessary to subdue its prey. There are stories of people staying in the hospital on IV opiates for weeks because the pain of the sting was completely intolerable.

Classical pore blocker peptide venoms have this really cool motif in them where there are three disulfide bridges between cystienes (the cystiene knot), which folds the peptide in the correct conformation.

You can reliably predict a peptide to be a venom if you see a cystiene knot in it.

I wonder if this venom has the knot or not, because mu-opioid receptors are not ion channels, they are g coupled protein receptors.

Either way Australia certainly has some interesting venoms, like omega conotoxin of the cone snail.

I believe the conus geographus is the most venomous of the cone snails, though all species pack some degree of venom. This snail can kill a person in as few as 60 minutes.
Interestingly, there is no safe way to handle a live cone snail, nor has any cone snail antivenom ever been developed. The harpoon-like probiscis can reach anyplace on the shell and deliver a venomous punch in fractions of a second.

A plant found in North Queensland. I've never had the misfortune of brushing up against one of these, but apparently the pain is agonizing and lasts some people the rest of their days.

I usually don't buy into the everything-is-deadlier-in-Australia concept, but a plant that tortures you forever just because you touched it once, that does sound pretty shit.

Wow, Kaden_Nite!
Maybe the closest thing we have to that in the US is Stinging Nettles. I just can’t imagine such an awful plant 🌿

There was just a pretty good paper in Science (ok Science advances) last week about gympie gympie venom (yes, it injects it so it's not just poison). The venom contains the cystiene knot motif (surprise, surprise).

It's a pretty tight little paper, they characterize the peptide, and then do electrophisiology to see its effects at sodium channels.

Basically sodium channels normally function by opening due to a stimulus (either cell voltage or a ligand) and then allow sodium through for a bit, but then this stopper like part of the channel swings in and blocks the pore which inactivates the channel for a little bit. This toxin prevents/delays the inactivation phase causing prolonged firing.

Hi Skorpio,
I meant to respond to your first comment, which was interesting. In terms of Australian creatures, I believe both the Sydney Funnel Web and Redback Spiders would feature cysteine knot motif-classified venoms. I wonder whether centipedes also utilize an ICK structured venom. The post envenomation symptomatology is nearly identical to the AZ Bark Scorpion post envenomation experience (based upon this venom critic’s opinion).

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
[h=1]A Tiny Fish With Fearsome Fangs Uses An Opioid-Like Venom To Escape Enemies[/h]
March 31, 20171:38 PM ET

Madeline K. Sofia

fangblenny_wide-97886c39eb6b65921ebb735bca69e918d4099576-s800-c85.jpg

The deceptively adorable fangblenny is only 2 inches long and lives in places like Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Anthony Romilio/University of Queensland

Don't be tricked by their appearance, fangblenny fish are the ocean's cutest jerks.

The fish are 2 inches long and live in places such as Australia's Great Barrier Reef. They make their living by nibbling on the scales and fins of bigger fish.

They sneak around and "carve out chunks of larger fish unsuspectingly" says Bryan Fry, an associate professor at the University of Queensland in Australia, "It's a really really uncool way to do it."

When they are caught and swallowed up by a predator, the blennies literally bite their way out of its mouth. The venom disorients the bigger fish, and the blennies escape to freedom.

Fry leads a group of researchers that has learned more about how venomous fangblennies do their thing.

The first step was to get some venom from the fangblenny fangs. Researchers had to pull the blennies out of a fish tank using a net. Then "we would just put a little cotton swab in front of them and they would instantly bite it and seconds later they were back in the water," Fry says.

fang-blenny-1-_custom-0d8ae6452d3e2062cec1ca7a27d8c3aac753a524-s800-c85.jpg

Ouch. Fangblennies have two large hollow fangs that deliver venom.

Richard Smith/OceanRealmImages.com

His group studied the chemical makeup of the blennies' toxin. The venom contains components similar to those found in the venom of scorpions. Surprisingly, it also contains an opioid peptide similar to those in painkillers. Their findings were published in the journal Current Biology on Wednesday.

When the researchers injected the blenny venom into mice, it didn't seem to cause the mice any pain.

This came as a big surprise, Fry says. "We expected that ... it's a defensive venom, so it's going to hurt like every other defensive venom," he adds.

Fangblennies need a defense because taking chunks out of big fish is a dangerous sport. Sometimes, when the blenny tries nibbling on a big fish, the big fish bites back, swallowing the blenny whole. When that happens the fangblenny literally chews its way out of the fish's mouth.

Fry believes the venom causes the larger fish to become dizzy. The disorientation allows the little fang-fish to give it the slip.

"Dizziness brought about by low blood pressure is a very common side effect for any kind of opioid. In this case, the side-effect is what's being used by the blenny," he says.

Fry says studying the unique opioid peptides in the fangblenny venom could be beneficial in the future. He thinks it's possible that researchers could stumble on a useful opioid drug.

"If you have one that's a bit less potent but a lot less addictive than something like Vicodin, that's already going to be a good thing."

According to Fry, that's one of the many arguments for conserving places such as the Great Barrier Reef.

"You have these beautiful little fish that could potentially yield the next wonder drug, but we can't do that if these animals aren't around."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...s-uses-an-opioid-like-venom-to-escape-enemies

Thats awesome, nature and the oceans are so magical and mysterious! Interesting fangs! 👀
Fangblennys are my new favorite fantasy-pet! 😇 This will be future generations (Bufo alvarius) toad.

I do have some brief experience of "psychotropic fish":
It was a small colorful tropical fish that the fishermen would give to me for free (I was broke and stranded, other story) maybe they thought it was funny to feed me that fish. Anyway I ate it a couple of times and this fish gave me a strange trippy-sedation, I never manage to id that fish... But from what I remember it was dominantly red in color and this was in the Caribbean. But maybe they where from the same family?

Any fishy experts around? 😉

Last edited: