• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

A Thirst For Knowledge: Rebirth

RickityRick

Greenlighter
Over the last 2 years I have abused ecstasy and a plethora of other drugs to the point where slight anxiety and diminished word recall have become an issue when sober (although judging from the reports of other bluelighters my issues are quite minor considering the extent of my use).

Although I did just take a bit of time to recall the word extent.

Because of this (and a frightening yet enlightening experience with lsd) I've now lowered my drug usage massively down to the occasional bit of weed, got myself a job and have become extremely motivated.

Now to the subject of this thread.

I have decided to re enter education in hopes of bettering myself and my future, ill be attending a course that at the very least will allow me to study pharmacy at a university level but hopefully will allow me to somehow make my way into pharmacology/medicinal chemistry.

In anticipation of this I want to learn more about pharmacology/medicinal chemistry and I would like to know if any bluelighters have an opinion on the best way to do so? (outside of formal education)

P.S I do have a genuine interest in the production/synthesis of drugs and how they affect the brain, but have little knowledge on the subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

First, get a basic knowledge in chemistry, biology, maths and optionally physics (to pre-university level). Then, read an organic chemistry textbook and medicinal chemistry textbook. You should be at a decent level by then. Also keep exposing yourself to literature/information on the topic. Whenever you encounter a new drug or medicine, look it up on Wikipedia and see what it does. At first the jargon might be confusing but over time it becomes easier to comprehend at a fast pace.

Last edited:
Universities often offer free audio lectures about certain topics. I listened to a fair bit of an MIT neuroscience course over the summer, for example. You can also buy pharmacology textbooks online for very inexpensive prices...I own one that I bought for 70 cents online (granted it was published in the early 2000s and things have changed since then in the field of psychopharmacology, but it's still interesting).