• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos A question about Ambien, I've heard it's high is like Vicodin's slightly? ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDLuva

Greenlighter
Is it? I ask because I want to make sure my friend doesn't get addicted to it- and it's only a sleep hypnotic I thought yet the doctor said it's addictive, how the hell could a sleeping pill be addictive? I don't know if I can ask something like that here but ... I have to know, must make sure.

the high from ambien (if you can even call it that) is not like hydrocodone (vicodin). the high (if a person doesn't fall asleep) can be a disassociate type high where hallucinations can occur if a large enough dose was taken. it can be addictive if the person only wants to sleep and will do anything to get more and take more ambien just to get some sleep or if they really enjoy the hallucinations if they don't fall asleep. tell your friend to only take as prescribed. good luck

thank God, thank you for your information- good, finally something that won't make him get all happy and shit. maybe he'll learn this time not to mess with that ... stuff. thanks again.

No it's not like hydrocodone, but the 'high' can be euphoric it is addictive as it acts on the GABA receptor.

good, finally something that won't make him get all happy and shit

Well, Ambien does make you "happy and shit" if you abuse it and stay awake. Similar to Benzos like Diazepam it causes great disinhibition and amnesia and this is why there is even a simpsons episode about that stuff because it usually causes people to behave like drunk assholes without remebering anything the next day.
In my opinion it is pretty dangerous stuff if abused and even the addiction potential when used as prescribed is not harmless.

Take care!

Ambien and other z drugs are more addictive compared to benzodiazepines as they are highly selective for the alpha 1 subunit, something that gives them much more abuse liability and addictive potential.

The high, as mazda01 stated, is dissociative and hypnotic and hallucinations are quite typical. It can be stimulating and euphoric as well; you don't to fight sleep to get hallucinations and recreational effects from it. It has typical benzodiazepine-like effects as well, ie disinhibition and amnesia. It feels nothing like a narcotic, like hydrocodone. The two are quite different.

the high from ambien (if you can even call it that) is not like hydrocodone (vicodin). the high (if a person doesn't fall asleep) can be a disassociate type high where hallucinations can occur if a large enough dose was taken. it can be addictive if the person only wants to sleep and will do anything to get more and take more ambien just to get some sleep or if they really enjoy the hallucinations if they don't fall asleep. tell your friend to only take as prescribed. good luck

^^This. This medication works well, if you use it correctly. I cannot advocate using this medication in any other way then prescribed.
I used it for sleep for years and it didn't quit doing its job. Now I heard this nifty medication called cannabis does a great job of getting one buzzed ;)
Any more real information about Ambien? UTFSE :)

Last edited:
Ambien don't have an effect like Vicodin, it's a Z drug and their mechanism of action is agonist of GABA-α1. In large doses some people tell that could cause hallucinations (but it shouldn't take it for that, don't have sense), and principally have only a strong hypnotic effect. I have this in my Rx and I take it when I have so much troubles to fall sleep, when melatonine or another natural remedies don't work.

In less than 15 minutes with 10mg I almost sleep, but in the morning one could be awaken drastically, because the dream caused by this is artificial. I don't see recreative use in this drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.