• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

A pharmaceutical treatment for methamphetamine abuse

Burnt Offerings

Moderator: Drug Culture & CEP
Staff member

Heard a report on the radio about this recently, thought it was interesting. Supposedly 10-15% of users may be helped by this combo, according to the report. Stimulant abusers have long been left out of any kind of pharmaceutical intervention, there's no stimulant equivalent of methadone or buprenorphine, but maybe this will help somebody

There is a trial in Australia at the moment seeking volunteers for lysdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) as a substitution treatment for meth.

An earlier one using regular dex was inconclusive.
I think that this is probably the answer. It needs to be watched though because amphetamines can also trigger a want for more amlhetamines though.

I think that this is probably the answer. It needs to be watched though because amphetamines can also trigger a want for more amlhetamines though.
In my experience some do and some don’t. It varies a lot by person. Meth makes me want more meth. Dex doesn’t make me want any intoxicant whatsoever.

It’s reasonable to expect that some treatment programs will work for some and not for others. As with opiate substitution programs.

I believe having used Dextrostat, it helped with the strong cravings of wanting to use meth. It helped me forget about meth because it felt so much like it.
Possibly, even better than meth.
But, there had to be a certain dosage, for it to be sustainable in order to avoid dose increases.