• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc A muscle relaxer that actually works???

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
I know this is a long post but I'm begging for any help or advice... I have been to dozens of doctors, chriopractors, etc, and no relief.... No one can figure it out. All I can see is my neck is extremely off balance, and my C1-C3 area has extreme tension for countless years and is causing dozens of problems. It won't EVER relax. Even Muscle relaxers + heat + a massage doesn't relax my muscles! I have been on all kinds of muscle relaxers and I do not believe some of them even qualify as muscle relaxers. Example: Flexeril. From what I gather it simply is a "downer" and slows down the CNS, which *should* in theory relax the muscles. Correct, or am I wrong? Also, Flexeril doesn't seem to target the actual muscles themselves to relax, correct? Just the entire body??If true, wouldn't pretty much any CNS depressant also be a muscle relaxer? Even benadrly technically would be, especially if taking a few at once..

I have been on:
Flexerial
tiziadine/Zanaflex
Baclofen
Soma
Xanax
Clonzepam
Methocarbamol (I believe)

I found Methocarbamol, Flexeril, and zanaflex, and Flexeril almost to be the same. I can take them while having spasms and they don't help one bit. How/why? They should at least help
Some-what, but all 3 don't. Especially odd how 3 different muscle relaxers don't help -- unless they aren't "real muscle relaxers". I consider "real muscle relaxers" things like Clonzepam/etc that truly do relax your muscles.
They all say they are muscle relaxers but I noticed ONE difference in their wording compared to Soma:
Soma said it's a "Carisoprodol is a centrally acting skeletal muscle relaxant". Are the other so called muscle relaxers not centrally acting on the muscles, therefore less relief?

Only two have worked: Clonzepam and Soma.
But I have developed a tolerance to both. Clonzepam I know works on GABA and "slows down rapid firing", so to speak, so not only does it relax your body and muscles directly it slows down the nerves. So it's a "real true" muscle relaxer. Soma -- I'm not sure if this is a true muscle relaxer. From what I read it works the same way as flexeril does.... So why does Soma work so much better? Does Soma target the muscles themselves to relax?? I ALSO have very numb and cold hands now, which soma used to help but now doesn't due to tolerance.I TESTED THEM: Every day my neck has spasms and tightness, weakness, etc around the C3 area. One time I was playing video games and smoking a cigarette. EVERYTIMEI smoke a cigarette the "head feels to heavy for neck" and just a "really weak neck" feeling happens, and often spasms or twitching. Everytime I smoke a cigarette. Everytime. Can anyone explain why that happens? They are ultra light cigarettes too so nicotine is very low for 1 cigarette. The feeling last for up to 30 mins after the cigarette.

BUT back my point: my neck kept spasming and feeling weak like my head was too big to support it. So I took 1 flexiral 5mg. After an hour not ONE BIT of relief and still having the same spasms and weakness In neck...So I took another. Now 3 hours later and I'm still having the exact same problems, and even worse actually because of the way I'm sitting. Even while on 10mg of flexiral my neck was having spasms and twitching and extreme weakness non stop. So I took a Soma and within 30 mins the spasms stopped. The twitching stopped. And the weakness feeling was reduced (not all the way) but still much better... What gives? Same exact story when I tried zanaflex. I tried it when smoking a cig and playing video games, when my neck washaving spasms/twitching/weakness... Yet the zanaflez didn't help ONE BIT...In fact even after 4mg of zanaflex, the spasms where still at 100% (2 hours later) and my jaw even spasmsd and I broke off part of a tooth dis to the spasm forcing my mouth to suddenly shut and hit a weak tooth... How can both flexerisl and zanaflex not help one single bit? As I took them when spasms where occurring to see if they would help and they didn't help one bit... I was forever to take a HALF a Soma and the spams and twitching went down a lot within 30 mins, and so did the weakness in the neck..

Again how/why?Baclofen I took years ago and I don't recall how it worked. Years ago my problem wasn't nearly as bad either.... Maybe it's worth a try again? I know it works on GABA so maybe it will help? Although would Baclofen just be like upping my Clonzepam dosage or does it work on GABA in different ways than Clonzepam? So I need some ADVICE MED WISE:What else can I take? This problem spasms, twitching, and also a STRONG feeling of neck weakness and overwhelming feeling of "neck feeling to weak to support head" is only getting worse and started many years ago. I tried magnesium, potassium, water, countless creams both natural and chemical NOTNING WORKS.

Also I have tried:Massage (even gotten daily massages), dry needling, acupuncture, physchically therapy, Ana to top it all off??? I've had around 200 chriopratic adjustments over the course of 3 years, by multiple ones. The *only* thing that ever provided near 100% relief was Clonzepam before I developed a tolerance. It stopped the muscle spasms in their tracks and even helped the weak neck feeling. So if Clonzepam helped, is it maybe my nerves are going crazy and rapid firing and the Clonzepam slowed it down?? Any good medications to help relax my muscles?? Or even tips.. Again I tried massage and vitamins and all natural ways doesn't help one bit. I need something stronger sadly which likely means something prescription wise for my muscles.

Last edited:
I think Soma worked the best for me, but I see you already tried it. Valium is a decent benzo with muscle relaxant properties, but I hate to recommend Valium to be used just for muscle spasms.

I would suggest trying kava. In my understanding soma is about as strong as it gets as far as muscle relaxing pharmacueticals. You may need more vitamin d and magnesium. You can easily buy these in supplement form and see if they help, they definetely won't hurt. Try getting kava from a reputable vendor and get the traditional or micronized variety. Get one that is considered sedating, heavy, or body. They can range from fairly stimulating to plant you on the couch like a good J. The kava I take is somewhere in the middle, but I have noticed my muscles are more relaxed than they were before. Kava Forums has lots of great information. It is also great for anxiety, which I assume is a problem for you as well.

Kava?

I have tried kava kava tea many times.

And to the poster above I said I already am on Soma. Didn't know it was the strongest their is, though.

But what do not understand is why Clonzepam was the BEST? GABA? Does this mean maybe Baceflon might work?

If you're willing to take the risk, like above poster said, valium is a great muscle relaxer in comparison to other benzos (in the us) clonazepam would be next.

I already take Clonzepam and Soma...

So I'm out of options?

Will Baceflon help the Clonzepam or
Will both work the same way? Or do they work on GABA in different ways?

methocarbomal offers me some relief ...it sure as hell doesn't sedate me or mentally make me feel better in any way but it does offer some pain relief. flexeril didn't do shit. those are the only ones I've tried since methocarbomal works I stuck w/ it.

Kava?

I have tried kava kava tea many times.

And to the poster above I said I already am on Soma. Didn't know it was the strongest their is, though.

But what do not understand is why Clonzepam was the BEST? GABA? Does this mean maybe Baceflon might work?

lol @ kava tea. Kava man, not kava tea.

What's kava then? When I google search it everything says Kava is same as Kava Kava -- which I have tried in vitamin and tea form. Unless there is another form of Kava out there.

How about a second opinion to get to the bottom of the cause and I highly suggest hydrotherapy on top of the meds that are most effective for you personally. I don't know if there are any better than the ones youve already listed unless there are new ones coming to market. The stronger you can make your muscles the better off you will be. Hydrotherapy allows that with minimal strain and improved fluidity of movement.

IMO, there's not much stronger than Soma or Valium as a relaxant & a doctor that is willing to prescribe them. I'm sure there's stuff stronger, & they use to prescribe them a lot in the 1970's, but not anymore.

So Valium is stronger than Clonzepam? I thought they where equal. I take 8-12mg daily of Clonzepam. Been on it for 6+ years. Getting off it will be a NIGHTMARE especially at such a high dosage.

I tried soma again, this time a higher dosage and for like 15-20 mins it relaxes my muscles. Then they went extremely stiff, had some minor spasms/twitching and felt "weak" again. Ugh. The relief was so short lived. I don't even know how a muscle relaxer can only last 15 mins..

But does anyone know the answer to Bacfleon? It works on GABA just like Clonzepam, but I thought it works differently? So maybe a combo of Bacfleon and Clonzepam, both working on GABA and the muscles would work the best...

Nor do I understand how smoking a cigarette makes my neck 2X stiffer, worse spasms, twitching, and makes it feel very weak. Literally by the 3rd of 4th puff suddenly the back of my neck muscles start to feel weak, and feel like my head can't support my neck, then the spasms/twitching starts.

Dude, 8-12mg of clonazepam is an extreme high dosage, I hope you know the risks of seizure and death when quitting cold turkey?
Iirc baclofen acts on GABA-B, while benzos act on GABA-A.
Maybe try switching to diazepam (as othershhave said, it could be a better muscle relaxers than clonazepam)

Nicotine acts on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, those are involved in muscle movement, so maybe that's the reason smoking increases your problems.

8-12mgs of Clonazepam a day is nuts. Valium.is long lasting also.

Have you ever tried medicinal weed? High grade weed? Certain dominant sativa hybrid strains work miracles for pain. I'm sure they would work for spasms as well.

12mg of clonazepam is 120-240mg of diazepam (depending on which conversion table you read). That dose is nuts so unfortunately I doubt ANY benzo is going to help....or any other gabbagenic drug for that matter....

You actually have a doctor that prescribes you that much??

8-12mgs of Clonazepam a day is nuts. Valium.is long lasting also.

Have you ever tried medicinal weed? High grade weed? Certain dominant sativa hybrid strains work miracles for pain. I'm sure they would work for spasms as well.

Only a few times have I ever smoked. But I thought indica would be better for spasms? I don't know marijuana well at all. I'm on a pain contract, so I can't smoke pot... Unless I can wean myself down to something weaker -- like Tramadol, which a regular doctor can prescribe and then I don't have to see a pain management doctor. . Then I could smoke pot and use Tramadol for pain (ans WD and PAWSand see how it works. But does Tramadol and pot mix well??

Dude, 8-12mg of clonazepam is an extreme high dosage, I hope you know the risks of seizure and death when quitting cold turkey? Iirc baclofen acts on GABA-B, while benzos act on GABA-A.
Maybe try switching to diazepam (as othershhave said, it could be a better muscle relaxers than clonazepam)

Nicotine acts on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, those are involved in muscle movement, so maybe that's the reason smoking increases your problems .

Hmm, but that bad? Cigarettes literally make my neck go crazy, I didn't know it could be that potent. They are ultra lights with super low nicotine content and they still do that. A marborlo red has like 10x more nictoeoje than an ultra light, so if that's the case I can't even imagine how smoking those would be.

As for as diazepam is it really better than Clonzepam for muscle relaxation? Because I take Clonzepam ONLY at night, all 10-12mg at once before bed, it still provides some muscle relief. If I take it scattered throughout the day then I would be even more tolerant, which I know I still am... And I know sezuires would happen if I stopped cold turkey, but death? I heard that's super rare.... Is it because of my high dosage?? Does being on a high dosage like mine increase chances of death if stopping them cold turkey? How do you die from cold turkey on them, anyways? Like would it be the mass non stop sezuires that could result in death? Or something else? I really want to know. It met be scary but I want to know.

Dude, 8-12mg of clonazepam is an extreme high dosage, I hope you know the risks of seizure and death when quitting cold turkey?
Iirc baclofen acts on GABA-B, while benzos act on GABA-A.
So since hey work on different GABA, would Bacfleon maybe help reduce my Clonzepam dosage? It seems GABA acting agents relax my muscles the most...

12mg of clonazepam is 120-240mg of diazepam (depending on which conversion table you read). That dose is nuts so unfortunately I doubt ANY benzo is going to help....or any other gabbagenic drug for that matter....

You actually have a doctor that prescribes you that much??

So I assume no one would prescribe that high a dosage of diazepam? And if my doctor did, could I just switch from Clonzepam straight to diazepam without WD? I have been on Clonzepam for like 6+ years.

My doctor prescribes 20mg a day. I thought it was a mistake and asked and he said no, that's right dosage... I looked it up and one website said that is the max dosage allowed. Which even 20mg seems too high...It seems I'm possibly on the highest dosage ever.

I only take half of what is prescribed, which is still a lot. I'm scared trying to get off it, or how long it would take... I think it was too high a dosage, but due to tolerance in right around 10mg every night.

Like 6 months ago I was only taking 4mg of Clonzepam before bed to sleep. Then suddenly I had major stress increase, and sleeping problems, so it got upped and upped to where it is now... So I have only been on 10-12mg daily dor maybe 4 months now? Maybe it's possible I can weak down, by 0.5 mg or 1mg per week? I don't know...

Soma still works, I just increased the dosage and my muscles felt much better... But then I will become tolerant to that, never ending cycle.... Plus I'm in pain killers, sleep aids, like 20-25 pills a day. =\