• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A guide to opioid addiction treatments and other medications used for withdrawal

Tapering will help the severity of withdrawal so yes if you can taper you should. The withdrawal will last around 5 days with symptoms peaking on day 3 then gradually decreasing in intensity after that. You should feel back to normal by day 7.

Its funny how we feel when in withdrawl, that we are going to stay like this forever, and it will never get better. This feeling of going crazy and losing control. Hate this feeling.

And it’s good to keep in mind, as cj mentioned, that your kratom withdrawal should be significantly less uncomfortable than something like coming off codeine. With kratom the symptoms are primarily psychological in nature, with restlessness and craving being the major challenges (and perhaps some insomnia). But a lot of the physical symptoms like nausea, hot/cold flashes and violent diarrhea common to opioid withdrawal won’t really be present with kratom withdrawal.

How much kratom are you taking these days?

Hi , ive been taking 4g of kratom in the morning and 6hrs later have another 4g. Twice a day. Im just scared of anxiety coming back cause kratom helped me a lot with it. Managed to come off xanax and now I only take it when i really need to. Yesterday I had only 6g , and today 6g as well. Should I spread it and still take it twice a day. Like 3g in the morning and in 6hrs another 3g. And next day go down to 2g ?

Hi , ive been taking 4g of kratom in the morning and 6hrs later have another 4g. Twice a day. Im just scared of anxiety coming back cause kratom helped me a lot with it. Managed to come off xanax and now I only take it when i really need to. Yesterday I had only 6g , and today 6g as well. Should I spread it and still take it twice a day. Like 3g in the morning and in 6hrs another 3g. And next day go down to 2g ?

Just my opinion here, but your dose doesn't seem to be that high. And if you've only used it for four months, with codeine and prescription drugs before that, you probably can taper pretty quickly. What I always do, when I quit kratom (which is usually to go back on Suboxone or some other opiate) is to reduce the size of the usual dose and keep taking it at the same times, at least at first. Then, when I've tapered the dose into about 1/4 of the original I start spreading the doses out. Usually if I'm taking it 3-4 times daily I'll cut one of those doses out, then the next day or the third, cut another out until I'm taking it once in the morning and once in the evening. Use your comfort meds with it--if you have a sleeper of some kind, you can next skip the night dose, and if your problem is getting out of bed, that might be the time to take a comfort med. The moderators' advice is right on, especially about avoiding benzos if at all possible. I've used them and created an entirely new addiction that was even harder to quit. Best of luck--it sounds like you know what you're doing!

I have a question for the mods or anyone who can answer it: Because I'm planning on re-starting Suboxone right away, which should make actually tapering the rest of the kratom habit unnecessary. The reasons I want to quit for a day or two before I see the Sub doctor are first, since I'm telling him that I'm still in withdrawals, it isn't going to hurt for me to look like I'm still pretty sick. I already have to admit that I ran out way early by taking them too fast. Since I'm also admitting that I don't want to finish the taper but stay on them anyway, I'm going to admit--it is the truth--that this dose is too low to keep me from being sick. When it was about double this, like .25 every day, instead or every other day, or .5 every other day, I think that kept me from being in withdrawals all the time. Whatever it takes, I want to be comfortable. Like I said, it's not going to be that long anyway, and I shouldn't have to give up my quality of life. The question I have--and I've never heard it addresses: With kratom is there a possibility of precipitated withdrawal if I take the kratom until I get the Sub? If so, how long should I wait between the two? When I was in the hospital they switched me to methadone because they were too damn cheap to pay for my Suboxone. Which was fine, as the methadone kept me well and out of pain. But when I switched back, I didn't wait long enough and threw myself into precipitated withdrawal--I never ever want to do that again! It was the worst experience of my life; I had more methadone and Suboxone, but knew if I took either one it would just make it worse. And I didn't have any benzos or even Ambien to knock me out--I just had to suffer for about 12 hours until the Sub started working. So, any info would be great!

I haven't heard of anyone having issues with precipitated withdrawal when transitioning from kratom to buprenorphine/naloxone. It's always good to wait a day or more if you can stand it before inducting on the buprenorphine, as it will allow the medication to work a little more effectively (more relief). But even if you just wait 12hrs, you'll probably be fine.

That said, I'd really suggest you wait the normal day before starting the buprenorphine. You can use gabapentin, benzos, tramadol or whatever that doesn't create precipitated withdrawal to make it through that 24hrs.

With your doctor, really emphasize how you don't feel like you will be able to manage if you continue tapering or try to get off buprenorphine for good. Emphasize that you are concerned about relapsing, struggling with cravings, and are afraid discontinuing the buprenorphine will lead you back into active addiction.

It's good to be honest with your doctor, I just hope they're well informed, professional and compassionate. Especially in the recovery industry, doctors like that are hard to find.

When transitioning from methadone to buprenorphine, you want to wait between 3-5 days before inducting on buprenorphine (depends on the size of the methadone habit). During those days you can take a shorter acting opioid like codeine or hydrocodone to stay well. Then just wait 24hrs between you last dose of short acting opioid to transition to buprenorphine.

How much Gabapentin do I need to take per day for help with withdrawal? I have 600 mg tablets, I was taking 100 mg of oxycodone. I also have loperimide, tizanadine, Zoloft, Meloxicam, Baclofen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely out of my DOC, so in withdrawal now, day 1. I had a small piece of Suboxone that I took this morning which has helped some today. But that is gone now! TIA ?

I am starting to really and truly believe that CBD-rich cannabis products are the key to ending my opiate addiction. Stay tuned.

A drug is a drug is a drug. Just let it all come out because that?s the toxins in your body. They need to leave. The faster they do the better you are. Supplement a drug for a drug? Are you kidding me?
Tons of water, Boost or Ensure if you can?t eat and hang in there. What?s a little shit compared to?

Ok, here is the scoop on me! I took my last oxycodone last Saturday. Sunday I had a little piece of Suboxone that I took. Then I was out of any kind of drug that I could take to help with withdrawals. I do have a great supply of gabapentin, tizanadine, meloxicam, Baclofen. I also take Zoloft, I take quite a few vitamins everyday also... Folic Acid, B12, B6, Biotin, Vit C, vitamin D, magnesium and potassium. The first 5 days were not too bad. But today I'm in tons of pain , and I have no energy!!! Why after 5 days would I start feeling that drain of energy?? Also does anyone know if the meds I have can help me, and tell me how I should take them for the most Benefit? Please help me, I need some help badly!!
Thanks Nancy

Hyoscyamine for stomach and sweating durin w/ds?

Was wondering if anyone had experience or insight as to if hyoscyamine sulf .125 mg can be helpful in the sweating, stomach issues, running eyes or any other symptoms from withdrawl. I have a script and am very curious, seems to be not too much info I can find on it being used for this purpose.

I?m new here, please forgive me if I?m doing this wrong. I?ll learn my way around this forum soon lol.

Thank you to anyone who can offer any info.

This is a great Post!!
just a quick Bump, after reading it all over two days
thanks