View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

A couple of questions about Nitrous Oxide

Mch1

Bluelighter
I was looking into nitrous. There are a few things that I couldn't find clear answers on, that was hoping someone could shed some light onto.

1. Is it similar to other short intense hallucinogens like DMT or salvia in that it can cause panic attacks?
2. Is it necessary to be somewhere with ventilation when using whip-its and a balloon? Or inside a bedroom with the door shut OK?
3. Assuming you are taking breaths of air before and after breaths of nitrous, are there any significant risks of sudden death? I read somewhere that it can cause cardiac arrhythmias.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited:
I was looking into nitrous. There are a few things that I couldn't find clear answers on, that was hoping someone could shed some light onto.

1. Is it similar to other short intense hallucinogens like DMT or salvia in that it can cause panic attacks?
2. Is it necessary to be somewhere with ventilation when using whip-its and a balloon? Or inside a bedroom with the door shut OK?
3. Assuming you are taking breaths of air before and after breaths of nitrous, are there any significant risks of sudden death? I read somewhere that it can cause cardiac arrhythmias.

Thanks in advance for any info!
No, no, and no. Enjoy, relax! :)

Nitrous is strongly anxiolytic (reduces anxiety). It's impossible for me to imagine having a bad time from it. It's also over faster than any other drug, literally like 30 seconds per inhale. It's euphoric and pleasurable, but kinda boring unless you use it on top of psychedelics or empathogens or dissociatives. As for ventilation, no need. And the only risk of death comes from oxygen deprivation, but that is only going to happen if you're using a mask. Worst case with balloons or cream dispensers is that you'd pass out and breathe air unconsciously. Though you definitely should avoid re-breathing into balloons because you will experience oxygen deprivation which is bad for you. It's best to breathe plenty if oxygen during a nitrous session. I always breathe some oxygen in with every breath, rather than filling every bit of my lung capacity with nitrous.

It's entirely different from salvia or DMT or any psychedelics. it's a dissociative technically, but it's not really like any other dissociatives, either.

Nitrous is strongly anxiolytic (reduces anxiety). It's impossible for me to imagine having a bad time from it. It's also over faster than any other drug, literally like 30 seconds per inhale. It's euphoric and pleasurable, but kinda boring unless you use it on top of psychedelics or empathogens or dissociatives. As for ventilation, no need. And the only risk of death comes from oxygen deprivation, but that is only going to happen if you're using a mask. Worst case with balloons or cream dispensers is that you'd pass out and breathe air unconsciously. Though you definitely should avoid re-breathing into balloons because you will experience oxygen deprivation which is bad for you. It's best to breathe plenty if oxygen during a nitrous session. I always breathe some oxygen in with every breath, rather than filling every bit of my lung capacity with nitrous.

It's entirely different from salvia or DMT or any psychedelics. it's a dissociative technically, but it's not really like any other dissociatives, either.
Thanks for the info!

I agree with what everybody has said so far about its safety. I would like to add, probably too late to reach you before your (hopefully but probably pleasant) experience. And maybe doesn't need to be said.... but I will say it anyway...

Please sit or lay down BEFORE inhaling. The effects of nitrous can be sudden and overwhelming and you may not have a chance to decide what your body does once it takes effect. That is probably the greatest danger from "balloon" levels of nitrous. People falling. And extremely foolish people crashing their cars.

Sounds stupid. Maybe even obvious. Because it did sound stupid and was totally obvious before the first time I ignored that advice and common sense and ended up on my ass, lol. I got away with a bruised ass and a bruised ego. I was lucky though, it could have been worse.

Probably the shittiest waste of time high I've experienced. Unless you get a big dental supply gas tank and face mask and even then it's nothing.

I think that is a bit unfair. Or at least harsh. Nitrous can be fun. And one of the few intoxicants one can experiment with relatively safely. From a health and legal standpoint.

I don't regret trying it and would do it again if it was already there.

I've spent years of my life grappling substances whose with highs that were less "shitty". Whose highs lasted longer. Like meth or heroin. Knowing then what I know now, I'd tell myself to buy some balloons and enjoy myself.

My personal stance of "harm-reduction" includes encouraging the experimentation and exploration of less harmful substances like Marijuana and nitrous. I know the urge to explore and experiment can be strong. I try to say the things I wish had been said to me.

Probably the shittiest waste of time high I've experienced. Unless you get a big dental supply gas tank and face mask and even then it's nothing.

Nitrous on psychedelics is amazing, but I don't like to do more than a few blasts in a trip, then it's time to move on and do something else, because it gets less and less clear each time.

Nitrous without psychedelics is blah

Nitrous on MDMA is insanely pleasurable.

One time I did nitrous on 2C-B and experienced a 5 minute long super-orgasm of the whole body, it was insane, I've never in my life felt that much pleasure, it almost scared me.

Nitrous on psychedelics is amazing, but I don't like to do more than a few blasts in a trip, then it's time to move on and do something else, because it gets less and less clear each time.

Nitrous without psychedelics is blah

Nitrous on MDMA is insanely pleasurable.

One time I did nitrous on 2C-B and experienced a 5 minute long super-orgasm of the whole body, it was insane, I've never in my life felt that much pleasure, it almost scared me.
Nitrous oxide on mushrooms and pot was confusing. It was a lot better with just pot alone, or on its own. But I never went crazy with it the four or five times I did it and I never binged on it. I used food grade, and the medical grade I had the first time during dental surgery was fun!

I made sure I took a B-Vitamin complex pill as well.

Last edited:
Is that just from whippets Xorkoth? I could never master the technique I just used to feel the same as if i spun round really fast for a while.