• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

A big hello from Powercazy, I am humbled and honerd to join.

powercrazy

Greenlighter
A big hello from Powercazy, I am humbled and honored to join.

I have joined this community in order to find better information on the legal medication I am currently on as I have found the usual sources frustrating and inadequate.
I also have a wealth of knowledge to contribute to the identification and cultivation of various mushroom varieties if that is something this forum might find valuable.

After a lifetime of self-medicating for my general depression and acute anxiety disorder with varying success, I have decided to seek a formal diagnosis and treatment.
I have as a result been prescribed the following.
  • 150mg Venlafaxine
  • 25mg Quetiapine
  • 5mg Valium
  • 1mg Ativan
The Problem:
At first, I was prescribed, Valium and I found it completely ineffective. No sleepiness, no reduction in anxiety, nothing. I have taken as much as 15mg at one time and found the effects mild at best (if anything) I did find it messed with my proprioceptive perception for at least a day afterward, meaning I wasn't dizzy, I just found myself bumping into doorways a lot and getting my feet tangled, but that was the extent of the effects I experienced from taking this medication.

As a result, I was prescribed Ativan and found I could take up to 5mg without experiencing any appreciable effect from it (I did not try more than that).

I understand that people habituated to these medications quickly, but I have never taken a Benzodiazepine in my life. the only drug I did on a regular basis was Marijuana and that was a few years ago now.

Despite searching the normal channels, I have not found anybody that has had a similar experience with these drugs and I have found in many instances forums such as this much more knowlagable on the subject
of these medications than the people prescribing them.

I would appreciate any theories or suggestions or similar experiences anyone could potentially offer.
I apologize in advance for my poor spelling, Neuro-Atypical I am not.

I also look forward to contributing my own knowledge and experience to the forum wherever possible.
Thank you to the organizers of this forum, forums such as this are a valuable and indispensable resource with the current state of affairs regarding the relationship between the state and its continuing war on our neurochemistry.

Thanks in advance.
Powercazy.

Hey @powercrazy, welcome to BL and thanks for all the background on what you are looking for. I’m no expert on any of the issues you raised but there are many people here who have atypical responses to medications and I’m sure as you poke around the various sub-forums you’ll start to find some answers.

You’ll also find plenty of mushroom enthusiasts.

Here's one:
As these dose are in the lower range the benzos - not sure about the other substances) maybe the effects are barely noticeable or just brings you to a more "normal" state. Benozodiazepines has never been that euphoric to me however my "high" come from not being so stressed in a situation and I can act and/or perform more freely without the extra baggage.
And diazepam (Valium) is a longer last benzo so I can see 15mg giving a long lasting "coolness". Diazepam is one of my fave benz just for that reason; it is mild to the point of un-noticed but lasts for a coupla days... at least in my case.
acute anxiety disorder
Benzodiazepines are great for short-term therapy, in my experience and opinion. A crutch to prop with until a way is found to healthily deal with whatever is causing the issues. Benzos are also my most feared of substances: They have caused more damage in my life above all sans alcohol... and are just as deadly.
As Atlier3 indicated: Mushrooms are popular here (as other hallucinogenics), my problem is that I don't have any. ;)
Welcome and hope everything works out. Talk to that doc about any adjustments that you think may be needed for sure. After a few weeks of using benzos one can expect to become dependent and depending on dose amount and frequency - the withdrawals if the script runs out early can be very uncomfortable at best. Just know what it is that you are getting into, friend. Benzos are no joke.
Hope to see ya around.
Best
%)