Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Science Retracts Ricaurte's Fraudulent E Study

Mahan Atma

Bluelighter
HILARIOUS!!! FUCKING HILARIOUS!!!

I've accused Ricaurte of being a TOTAL FUCKING FRAUD for years. Now nobody can deny it!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/06/health/06ECST.html

Report of Ecstasy Drug's Great Risks Is Retracted
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr.

A leading scientific journal yesterday retracted a paper it published last year saying that one night's typical dose of the drug Ecstasy might cause permanent brain damage.

The monkeys and baboons in the study were not injected with Ecstasy but with a powerful amphetamine, said the journal, Science magazine.

The retraction was submitted by the team at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine that did the study.

A medical school spokesman called the mistake "unfortunate" but said that Dr. George A. Ricaurte, the researcher who made it, was "still a faculty member in good standing whose research is solid and respected."

The study, released last Sept. 27, concluded that a dose of Ecstasy a partygoer would take in a single night could lead to symptoms resembling Parkinson's disease.

The study was ridiculed at the time by other scientists working with the drug, who said the primates must have been injected with huge overdoses.

Two of the 10 primates died of heat stroke, they pointed out, and another two were in such distress that they were not given all the doses.

If a typical Ecstasy dose killed 20 percent of those who took it, the critics said, no one would use it recreationally.

In an interview yesterday, Dr. Ricaurte said he realized his mistake when he could not reproduce his own results by giving the drug to monkeys orally. He then realized that two vials his laboratory bought the same day must have been mislabeled: one contained Ecstasy, the other d-methamphetamine.

Dr. Ricaurte's laboratory has received millions of dollars from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and has produced several studies concluding that Ecstasy is dangerous. Other scientists accuse him of ignoring their studies showing that typical doses do no permanent damage.

At the time Dr. Ricaurte's study was published, it was strongly defended against those critics by Dr. Alan I. Leshner, the former head of the drug abuse institute, who had just become the chief executive officer of the American Academy for the Advancement of Science, which publishes Science.

Dr. Leshner had testified before Congress that Ecstasy was dangerous, and Dr. Ricaurte's critics accused him of rushing his results into print because a bill known as the Anti-Rave Act was before Congress. The act would punish club owners who knew that drugs like Ecstasy were being used at their dance gatherings.

Dr. Ricaurte yesterday called that accusation "ludicrous."

His laboratory made "a simple human error," he said. "We're scientists, not politicians."

Asked why the vials were not checked first, he answered: "We're not chemists. We get hundreds of chemicals here. It's not customary to check them."

Well what can i say...

Ricaurte is a great man, he cares about you, and the future ahead of you..

This is really big. Incredible! Of course, the damage from the botched study is already done. For years people will say, "I heard you could get Parkinson's from just one pill." It will be stuck in the the misinformation channel for a long time.

This study was used over and over in arguments about the dangers of MDMA. And it turns out to be completely erroneous?

What a piece of shit.

What a fucking piece of shit.

its nice to see that this study turned out to be false. but the thing is, this article isnt gonna hit the public like the "E PUTS HOLES IN YOUR BRAIN" papers. oh well, at least WE know it cant hurt you :)

MTV should do a special on this... hehe... i love when people say "MTV showed me a photo of a brain with HOLES!"

oh well...

Time reveals all truths........
Maybe our generation is victimized for E use, but eventually , someday a different generation won't be.

"Fuck him for killing primates on the premise of bullshit science. "

STRAIGHT...I'm not certain what kind species were involved, but I can only hope they didn't use any of the great ape family...The word "monkey" would mean otherwise, but from what I've learned of Ricuarte, his dumb ass probably uses the word to indicate chimps..Either way, it's senseless killing of animals that are an integral part of a fast diminishing environment..(It's not easy to find a primate in this world that is in danger of losing it's areas)...So let's fucking shoot ridiculous amounts of chemicals of types we are uncertain into their bodies..And then retract the entire thing..So you're telling me primates died on a now worthless "study" of unknown chemicals so you could enable the soccer moms of America to preach to their spoiled and stupid fucking children? Worthless..I volunteer Ricuarte to be the next "primate" for the next study..I'd bet you fucking money they'd get their chemicals right and in order for those tests!

What an assclown this Ricaurte guy is......just another dickhead out there after the all mighty dollar.

Tell them what they want to hear and watch the research money continue to flow........

Just another puppet with the DOJ moving the strings.

I agree with whats been said about ricaurte being a tool, but just looking at the article it says the d-meth was used instead of ecstasy. Does this imply that speed (street methamphetamine) would have similiar effects to those the ricaurte found? I mean it is all very well and good to say that ecstasy isn't causing those problems, but I'm willing to bet that a fair whack of the ecstasy users on this site indulge in their share of meth use.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

Ecstasy research error undermines warnings

Ecstasy research error undermines warnings
By Patricia Reaney

MANCHESTER (Reuters) - Young people would be more likely to ignore warnings about using drugs after scientists retracted a study of the popular "club drug" ecstasy, a leading scientist has said.

The research published last year was withdrawn this week after scientists at Johns Hopkins University Medical School in Baltimore realised they had used the wrong drug in the study.

Their research found the drug they had tested might cause brain damage and Parkinson's disease.

"What worries me most about this paper is that I suspect it will have an entirely negative effect on the attitude of young people to the evidence they read about drug risks," Professor Colin Blakemore, of Oxford University, told the British Association for the Advancement of Science conference.

"They will take nothing seriously now. They will feel themselves deceived and they may well dismiss legitimate evidence for the risk of this and other drugs in the future."

Dr George Ricaurte and his team, who reported the research study on monkeys and baboons in the journal Science last year, said the drug had been mislabelled by the supplier.

But Blakemore, who said he had been confused by the research and had written to the journal, said the error raised concerns about the controls on science and its possible use for political ends.

"What worries me is the problem of this conflict between the desire to produce topical and exciting and headline-catching scientific results and peer-review," Blakemore said, referring to the process of academic peers looking over research ahead of publication in scientific journals.

In a reaction to Blakemore's comments, the journal Science said the study underwent a rigorous review process and there were no political motives in the study.

"We can assure the public that legislative matters had absolutely no bearing on the publication of this research," the magazine said.

"Peer reviewers would have had no way of anticipating this type of error. Science is self-correcting. Unfortunately, an error occurred, and the authors rapidly retracted the manuscript in order to correct the public record," the journal said in a statement.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/030912/80/e87cy.html

^^ Thats the problem I see. Its all well and good to say ricaurtes research was bullshit, but I think too many people here see ecstasy as totally risk free, especially in light of things like this.

^it's true. no drug is risk free. but we do like to hear the general public hear it's not the big mean nasty drug that the media have made it out to be

bigmick said:
^^ Thats the problem I see. Its all well and good to say ricaurtes research was bullshit, but I think too many people here see ecstasy as totally risk free, especially in light of things like this.

The only problem I have with your statement was that you said "many people here." I do agree that many people who use ecstasy will be relieved to find that the experiment was defunct and will take it to mean that ecstasy is safe. However, I believe that the majority of Bluelighters are not so ignorant and tend to look at all sides of an issue in order to make an enlightened decision. The mere fact that this side of the issue was even discussed is testament to that.
In any case, I'm still glad that they published news of the error.

I bet if you injected a scientist with a whole vial of Methedrine he'd be dead or have brain damage after just one "dose" as they call it. Why must they dumb everything down?! Instead of saynig "a 50mg pill ...they just say "a dose" which is completely vague and makes the whole study invalid.