• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

9 Survival Tips for College Freshman

One of those shoe box sized electric air purifiers. Two people in a small room can get extremely stuffy and stinky, especially if they are males.

^ Just as a side point, it's pretty uncommon to have a roommate at British Unis.

^Really? Is it because of more rooms, smaller university population, or larger off campus population? Or is that just the way things are.

(For a time I lived in a 4 person pod, that was extremely unpleasant)

EDIT: another thing to bring, good noise canceling headphones. They help when you just need quiet and help you not be that maddening "everyone needs to know how cool my taste in music is" guy.

Not sure why.
I think that there are more universities per person in the UK than, for example, the USA. (though not gonna check facts) that might be a factor.

Oh, one more piece of advice for those going to University for the first time. Try and bring as little as possible, its a horrendous pain to cart all that stuff around; remember you're going to be moving it all out again in few months.

The uni I'm going to don't kick you out for conference season.

Plus my room will be rented out as soon as I leave, then I'll just get a small room for visiting, which my stuff won't fit in

I was in off campus halls my first and final years, and only had to vacate for summer.

If you're amongst the last in the building, then make sure you steal all the microwaves and build a fort with them at the end of the year.