What Are You Listening To Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFC

Bluelight Crew
This is not 'what is your favourite song/band/album of the moment' or 'best song' or any of that.

This is just a thread to post a song that you happen to be enjoying today, of any genre or era.

I'll get the ball rolling...

Flyte: Sliding Doors (apologies for the lo-fi, but they've not released their own)

"The Queen is Dead" album by The Smiths. (1986)

I recently got reacquainted with my closest friend/almost-girlfriend from waaayyy back in high school and I'm feeling very nostalgic. (Yes folks, I was "emo" before I ever heard the term!)

"...and if a double-decker bus
crashes into us
to die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die
and if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
to die by your side
well the pleasure, the privilege is mine."

Now THAT'S romance! ;)

I forgot about the Smiths. Yeah, that's honest romantic lyrics right there. Akin to the way someone's answer to whether you're good-looking or not is "well, you don't repulse me." ;)

I forgot about the Smiths. Yeah, that's honest romantic lyrics right there. Akin to the way someone's answer to whether you're good-looking or not is "well, you don't repulse me." ;)

Yeah, The Smiths and The Cure pretty much helped me survive high school! (even though being into them didn't exactly make me any more popular, LOL)

^ I had to spotify most of those groups!! =D

Do you still listen to all of them, or have your tastes changed?

Really like this song, this is the only cover I have found that really does it justice in my opinion. Anyone know what that guy is drumming on? Sounds really good for something so simple.

^ I had to spotify most of those groups!! =D

Do you still listen to all of them, or have your tastes changed?

:D I better clarify this because I just re-read my post and it's a bit confusing, as I was just referring to metal specifically...

I never listen to one thing for very long, but I do go through phases at times. I got a great musical education growing up in the early 1970's. From my dad I got bands like the Beatles, Doors and Led Zeppelin. From my mom it was more like Simon & Garfunkle and Peter, Paul & Mary. Good stuff.

Aside from the Beatles, the one who actually inspired me to become a musician myself was Prince. Watching "Purple Rain" for the first time was probably to me like when people saw the Beatles on "Ed Sullivan". It amazed me that he could write, sing, play and produce everything himself.

In my teen angst years it was the Cure, Smiths, Jesus & Mary Chain, Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols and Black Flag. Around the same time though, I got on a big Bruce Springsteen kick (vintage Bruce, 1972-75) when my boss let me borrow his copy of "Born to Run".

After that, I started listening to just about anything and everything that I could get my hands on. I'll probably forget to include a bunch, but here's a "sampler" of some different types of artists that have brought me much pleasure and comfort over the years:

Robert Johnson, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie (heh heh, I said "woody"), Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, David Bowie, Depeche Mode, Elliott Smith, Elvis Costello, Queen, Steely Dan, The Churchills, Stellastarr, AFI, Muse, Cake, Arcade Fire, Sublime, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Babyshambles, Keane and My Chemical Romance... just off the top of my head.

(and yes, I unabashedly admit that I friggin' LOVE the Bee Gees!!! A lot of people don't even know that they put out ten years' worth of trippy, folky, melodic rock stuff before that dreaded "D" word ever existed!)

Happy listening, my friends :D
Dreamflyer

^ I didn't realise you were a musician :) What do you play?

The Bee Gees are/were awesome, plus all the stuff they wrote for others - very impressive.

^ I didn't realise you were a musician :) What do you play?

The Bee Gees are/were awesome, plus all the stuff they wrote for others - very impressive.

My first instrument was the keyboard, when my parents bought me one of those little toy ones from the local department store or whatever. A friend of mine showed me how to play the intro from "Take on Me" by A-Ha, then I taught myself some chords, and the rest is history!

In high school I took up playing bass guitar because I was absolutely obsessed with Sid Vicious, and even dressed up as him for the Halloween school dance! (That REALLY made me popular, especially with the jocks, LOL!) I soon found it to be boring though, and switched to 6-string.

I did the acoustic singer/songwriter thing for a number of years, but never tried or even wanted to try making a living from it. The highlight of my "career" was probably when I received a standing ovation from 500-600 people at a children's benefit concert held at the local college auditorium.

I also played drums in my last band, mainly because nobody else wanted to do it! :D

Lately I've been recording a lot of trippy instrumental stuff in my "home studio", an 8-track digital recorder with hundreds of built-in effects that I'm still discovering even after years of enjoyment.

This song (and the surrounding album) has been blowing my mind for the last couple of days. Really theatrical progressive metal, over blown and incredibly creative. Best part is the 0011010001 bit that starts at about 7.10 or so. Totally weird and brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.