Study: AAS May Reverse Cell Aging

CFC

Bluelight Crew
An interesting study published last week suggests that AAS (in this instance Danazol, and possibly via an oestrogen-response element) reverses the shortening of the chromosomal telomere that typically precedes cell aging, dysfunction, apoptosis and/or malignancy (tumours).

I should reiterate that this is pretty profound stuff. Shortened telomeres from some hereditary diseases lead to premature illness and death via a number of mechanisms, and are in general linked to ageing in most lifeforms.

In essence the telomere is the 'cap' on the end of the chromosome that holds it together and helps protect the DNA, preventing the development of cancer.

It's length can be thought of as analogous to the cell's 'clock', since it shortens during normal DNA replication. As it becomes shorter and shorter, replicative senescence (ageing) develops, and the cell begins to stop replicating, becoming faulty and eventually dying.

People with shorter telomeres are thus thought to die younger and often endure poorer lifetime health/QOL scores. In theory telomere lengthening could immortalise human cells and extend lifespans quite dramatically, though in practice it's unlikely to be anything like that straightforward.

Nevertheless the prospect of AAS improving cellular lifespans could prove to be an interesting tool, and suggests testosterone replacement therapy in older men may actually be more beneficial than simply improving cosmetic or psychological outcomes - it may actually slow ageing altogether.

Anyway, it's well worth a read if you're interested in the subject. I'd have a look at the editorial first, and you can read the full paper for free here.

If I'm not mistaken, androgens are already somewhat of a staple in end of life care.......

Shorter telomere strands, I thought, stem more so from immune deficiency. Does this cause actual growth or block further unraveling?

I shouldn't pretend I know anything about this... hah.... but it was quite interesting!

You've got the right idea but it's the other way around: the immune system is highly sensitive to shortened telomeres. Because telomeres shorten with every cell division, and since the immune system is so heavily dependent on rapid replication of T and B cells, as you age the cells become more scarce, putting immune function at risk.

In the patients this was tested on, who had shortened telomeres thanks to disease rather than ageing per se, 92% unexpectedly experienced significant regrowth of the telomere. In light of this, the study was actually halted prematurely in order to put the control subjects on the treatment as well. The actual physical outcomes were in some cases equally dramatic - either symptoms stabilised or in some cases patients no longer required treatment at all.

Those results are pretty staggering. Of course the authors themselves pointed at flaws but its a really fucking good first step.

CFC, I am thinking about your statement about slowing aging. What do you think about the risks of thrombosis and the like, especially in the older population outweighing the anti-aging benefits? I mean the whole anti-aging community has been touting bioidentical hormones, regular ones and HGH for years with limited success. Not sure of mortality rates though.

I think because we're really talking about cell renewal everywhere, the risks aren't likely to go up from that POV. However there certainly could be other unexpected issues that arise.

They talk about the ambivalent cancer/mutation issue, and clearly there must be a reason humans don't have immortal cells in the first place.

Also it's likely that in people with relatively normal telomerase function, the results of androgen therapy will be far less noticeable. I mean, in terms of anti-ageing clinics, testosterone replacement has been around for a long time with mixed results.

However it could be that interventions towards the end of life have much less impact relative to treatment aimed at elevating androgen levels begun much earlier in life.

And then of course that approach runs its own separate risks. So yeah, a complex picture, but certainly food for thought.

Very very interesting!

I wish I could post coherent sentences too!