• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

72 hours clean, what happens if i use today?

ieatstamps

Greenlighter
I'm currently going through opiate detox. IV hydromorphone (Dilaudid) daily for 6+ months. I am 72 hours clean. If I was to use once tonight to get a good sleep in would it completely reset my withdrawls? Or does it have a more minor effect on the recovery?

Sounds absolutely absurd, but I'm sure most of you know how rough this gets at times. I just would like a night of rest and continue the fight the following day.

Thx

I think you know the answer yourself mate. You've done fuckin well to get this far and if you were to use now you would be totally back to square one. You're a better man than I as I could never get that far, except on my first rattle. You cant relieve the pain without having to relive the pain...

I think you know the answer yourself mate. You've done fuckin well to get this far and if you were to use now you would be totally back to square one. You're a better man than I as I could never get that far, except on my first rattle. You cant relieve the pain without having to relive the pain...
Thanks for the support. I'm fighting the urge as best as I can right now. I'm tired of the cycle. I really am. Just a few hours of relief would be so appreciated. I hope that if I can push through tonight then day 4 will be better. I've read and from personal experience see that generally 72 hours is when the worst of symptoms have come.

Restarting back to day 1 withdrawl terrifies me though.

I dont know if this is your first opiate withdrawal or not, but if it is then stick with it as your first time is the easiest. The next time you will be lucky to make it to 72 hours. The time after that 24 hours will be pushing it. Each successive withdrawal eats away at your resolve and determination until you have none left at all.

I dont know if this is your first opiate withdrawal or not, but if it is then stick with it as your first time is the easiest. The next time you will be lucky to make it to 72 hours. The time after that 24 hours will be pushing it. Each successive withdrawal eats away at your resolve and determination until you have none left at all.
I would echo this sentiment. You are doing it! Take a few benadryl and put on a sleep meditation. Even if your plain worked and you limited it to one night, you are just kicking up that craving and on the path to squeeking back every few days and then giving in to a strong case of the “fuck its”. Stay on the righteous path. In a few days your brain and body will be feeling grateful. Eat good food. take walks. Take vitamins. Fuck. Don’t mess with what you have righteously achieved. There are no free biological lunches. 💫

This is actually my 3rd serious encounter. First time it was H. I have no idea how I got past it looking back now but I did. The second and this time it has been the dilaudid. I will never touch H because i OD'd and scared myself away from it. I truly am worried about being able to keep sober for the remainder of my life. I was a very productive addict. It just became much to expensive. I'm fighting guys. My brain is telling me one thing, heart something completely different. Thanks for the support.

Try melatonin 1-2hrs before bedtime. It won't knock you out but can help regulate sleep cycle and get it back on schedule.

it'd really depend on how much you took, but given that you're concerned about being able to stay away and 72hrs is a long time for you, I'd say the best thing is to keep on pushing and stay away. Maybe kratom but again, it's a mild opioid so if the goal is to stay off opioids then maybe look elsewhere. Exercise in the morning can help lower cortisol levels through the rest of the day and might help with sleep at night.

Sleep won't come easy for a while, but it does eventually come back to normal.

When you give in to the craving it builds a pattern and it actually does weaken you resolve over time.

Try to fight through the withdrawal entirely. You have the hardest part kicked.

Maintaining abstinence is a whole new beast. You would be wise to seek support in some form.

You will absolutely reset to day 1 if you use once before acute withdrawals are done. Also, even after acute withdrawals are done you will kick withdrawals back at least to some extent even from a single use. I was clean for 6 years and relapsed a few months ago and I was able to escape for a bit but as soon as I used 2 days in a row once, I got withdrawals. it just gets easier and easier every time.

Agree. Short-acting opiates like diamo or dilaudid have actually astonishingly short periods of acute withdrawal. Long-acting ones like bupe and methadone have atrociously long ones, ironic that they're used as a step-down (when I went off bupe the last time I didn't sleep for a week and wound up a psychiatric inpatient for two.) Conversely, heroin or dilaudid withdrawal is miserable as fuck but lasts no longer than a bad case of the flu and isn't really that worse unless you're on atrocious doses. Know this is not what you want to hear necessarily but it is true. The real bitch of withdrawal is the postacute phase: depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc. If you're really making the determined decision to quit you should get rid of your drugs and make it difficult to get more, you will at some point want to take or obtain more, unless you're really quite uncommonly strong.

Stay strong trooper, don't give in. You're almost there, can't you see the light at the en of the tunnel?
Get something OTC or maybe some Lyric for a night of two - but no more than that, tolerance builds fast.
Lyrica is a godsend when in opiate-WD, as is gabapentin.

Even better, get a 2mg Suboxone and taper that out. 1mg first day, 0.5mg second and 0.5mg on the third.

I did what you're thinking of doing, after two weeks of horrific subutex WD's.
That was eight months ago. Now I'm back on dope. Some people, such as myself, and maybe you, can't use shit like this ONE time.
We're not wired that way. I know people who are, and I envy them aswell as I'm happy for them.

But dude, don't - you got this bro.

Subs in low doses along with gabapentin once worked really well for me. Mind u i only did this for about 9 days tapering n then jumped off n i was fine. A bit weak but fine.

So true... The fear of the withdrawal grows in your mind and even the thought of getting sick can set me off sometimes.. I remember when I used to use dope I could never enjoy it if I knew I’d be run out by the next day and be sick. I needed at least a 1 day buffer to feel like I’d be ok lol.

-GC