• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

7:30 Report -TONIGHT - 5/3/07: PMA death and why ppl won't told about the PMA sooner.

IWillHostIt

Bluelighter
ABC The 7.30 Report. (Monday 5th February)

Here's the video of the story: (It's not the best, but it will do)

ABC 730 REPORT - PMA - Annabel Catt - 5th March 2007.wmv Right Click > Save As. [39.5MB]

ABC 730 REPORT - PMA - Annabel Catt - 5th March 2007(MEDIUM QUALITY).wmv Right Click > Save As. [13.9MB]

ABC 730 REPORT - PMA - Annabel Catt - 5th March 2007(SMALL QUALITY).wmv Right Click > Save As. [4.75MB]

Description:
A tragic tale of how 20 year old Annabel Catt came to die from a contaminated drug and the laboratory test that might of saved her life, but came one day too late.

-

Last edited:
At least stories like this will give more credit to groups like enlighten and sites like pillreports.com, who heavily promote harm minimisation and sell reagant kits.....warning users of potentially dangerous pills.

can someone record/tivo it or whatever and encode? im sure someone here would be willing to host itb:)

Anyone with Foxtel IQ would also be able to record I am pretty sure.

Yeah, dont know how easy it is to send to the computer though, i guess all video cards these days have video in so it cant be too hard at all, then just the matter of encoding it to divx

video capture card - $60-100 (depends on how dodgy the computer shop is)..

chugs said:
video capture card - $60-100 (depends on how dodgy the computer shop is)..

i think those cards have their own mpeg encoder in them, but im pretty sure any of today's standard video cards either have video in or tv card as standard. lets hope someone has it anyway :p

There was another death that I heard about on the northern beaches in sydney last night. A guy died at a club in manly after apparently taking ecstasy. I'd be warying about consuming pills in the north shore at the moment.

Ill record it, anyone know what day? I cant see the article on the website :S

Programme is on tonight, ABC "7:30 Report". I did a little interview for it last week. According to the producers, the interview with the parents is pretty powerful stuff....

Thanks for the update drplatypus. :)

The 7.30 Report said:
Bitter Pill

Every weekend, thousands of young Australians take so-called party drugs such as ecstasy. But for 20-year-old Annabelle Catt, it was a fatal decision. Believing she was taking ecstasy, she died from an apparent overdose of a deadly form of amphetamine. Tonight, her grieving parents speak out. Would a public warning have prevented the tragedy? 7.30's Mark Bannerman investigates.

Thread title updated to include date. :)

Splatt said:
can someone record/tivo it or whatever and encode? im sure someone here would be willing to host itb:)

Yeah dude i will record the program with my tv tuner card. I need some guidance on how to go about hosting the bitorrent file though

Awesome I didnt realise it was tonight. Too bad people will be hoggiong the tv here.

Haha, I missed out, I would of enjoyed watching it. Anyways, it was obvious to everyone the pills weren't MDMA, just reinforces the need for test kits and that you need to know your source.

Well that was a waste of time.

There was nothing said about test kits. Only highlighted how stupid the cops are. 8+ weeks to test pills? Then release the results the day after someone dies???? Wankers.

At least the NSW Drug Squad Guy agreed it's way too long after a seizure to get results. You could see he agreed that it had a chance of saving the girls life, but he didn't want to outright agree.

I made my parents watch it and Dad said if you're stupid enough to take drugs then you deserve what you get, pretty much what I expect from him, who will believe anything the media tells him to, especially channel 9 etc.
I then told him of MDMA used in psychotherapy with amazing resaults and he said yeah that is in a controlled enviornment not dickheads who want to jump and and down at a festival. I said if the MDMA was pure there is minimal chance of death, way less than most prescription drugs handed out like candy or even some OTC drugs, there is only the very odd sensativity and common water intoxication. He didn't respond which means I made him think a little bit, just before his programming kicked back in and said something else about drug users. Funny because he likes his beer, although he is not a daily drinker, pretty much just weekends.

My mother doesn't condone drug use, she doesn't even really like alcohol and believes it very damaging to society and health. But she agreed that Pill testing should be legalised after I explained it to them. She seemed to believe if there are people who take drugs out there they should minimise their harm as mjuch as possible instead of spending that money on ads aimed at drug users to stop.

She asked me after the programme if I take pills when I go to raves. She knows I have at least tried MDMA, LSD, Speed and knows I used to smoke marijuana pretty often. But I told her I do not take pills at raves any more. That I did not trust criminals even though there are test kits out there which I explained to her. I said I would definitely take MDMA though if it was made by a pharmecutical company with quality and purity control and she didn't seem to think badly of that, didn't give me a weird look or say anything just nodded.

Would of been great instead of that lame dramatisation they gave the time to Johnboy to talk a little about Enlighten and pill testing using the ion scanner, and how the government wouldn't allow it. And explain harm minimisation to viewers that didn't understand it.

chopped_chimp said:
Well that was a waste of time.

There was nothing said about test kits. Only highlighted how stupid the cops are. 8+ weeks to test pills? Then release the results the day after someone dies???? Wankers.

^ Certainly wasn't a waste of time. It highlighted that the police system should be improved and maybe from this story being aired that someone will actually do something to improve it.

It can take longer then 8 weeks to test pills, 12 weeks maximum I think the program said.

1. Maybe the police are underenforced in this department. Get more people on that paperwork!

2. More funding in laboratory testing so it doesn't take 'weeks' to get pills tested.

There's two things to look at, powers that be.

Here's the video of the story:

ABC 730 REPORT - PMA - Annabel Catt - 5th March 2007.wmv Right Click > Save As. [39.5MB]

and yes I know there are some spelling mistakes in the video, I suck.

Last edited:
There were really 2 parts to this story.

Part 1 - The story of the Miss Anabelle Catt, the PMA victim. Pretty heart wrenching interviews of her parents, her dancing and then her funeral.

The "facts" as reported by the parents (and recreated by the 7:30 report)

1. Ms Catt arranged to purchase the drugs prior to the festival
2. She picked them up outside the festival
3. Friends have told the parents she has only taken pills at music festivals twice
4. She consumed one pill at 3:30, and took the capsule as she was coming down from the pill.
5. She did not report any different effects (to her peers?) as she was traveling to wherever she was to spend the night - she was quite warm and agitated.
6. She showered, went to bed as did her peers. Her friends awoke to hear her kicking a chest of drawers.
7. An ambulance was called and arrived in 8 minutes. They performed the usual resuscitation techniques on her. She died, in the words of her mother "from cooking from the inside out".

The second part was an interesting discussion on the detection process for dangerous adulterants (such as PMA) in pills.

A doctor from Adelaide (Dr David Caldicott) with "experience in PMA deaths" stated that the problem in Australia is that forensic analysis of illegal drugs is most often used for the purposes of law enforcement. Only police forces are permitted to perform forensic analysis of pills. As such "drug intelligence" is limited to what police know about.

Additionally - PMA tends to "strike" in the same way an infectious disease does, as it strikes in clusters within a community - for instance the (2005?) Adelaide deaths.

The key issue is the time it takes for drugs to be tested (in NSW by the NSW Department of Health). Routine tests take approximately 6 weeks to be have their results finalised according to a press release highlighted on the show. Urgent results are available in 24 hours.

A sample of 20 pills from December seizures had their results finalised on the 19th of February,with 1 pill having measurable PMA. A sample of 100 pills from January seizures (received by Dept on the 21st of January) had their results finalised on the 21st of February, with "more then one" pill showing measurable quantities of PMA. Lastly, after Miss Catts death, a 3rd (urgent) test confirmed measurable quantities of PMA from her body.

As such - there is a 6-8 week window where PMA (or other dangerous adulterants) may be circulating within a community cluster before police get around to finding out about the problem - and only if they have seized that particular variety of pill. There are no other reputable sources.

A NSW drug squad detective (Det. Supt. Greig Newbery) was asked if this was a flaw in the process. He "did not disagree" with Doctor Caldicott's suggestion that this was a flaw in the process. He was then asked if this would have changed the outcome for Miss Catt. He could not answer the question, but insisted that any illegal drug use is dangerous. Lastly he was asked if the police could improve. His answer was "yes - the system can always improve".

To me - this was a outstanding example of why harm minimisation, test kits, communication vehicles such as this site and pill reports and groups such as Englighten are so vital.

Stay safe. I'm off to buy a test kit.

(I have the full 11min, 490 Mb file saved away. If you'd like me to post it somewhere - send me details of a tool to crunch it down to a manageable size and I'll get it to you / youtube / torrent)