• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Full recovery after abusing MDMA (And a few other drugs) for years?

blackstorm

Bluelighter
Hey,

I was abusing MDMA (Mainly) for about 4 years..for 2 years I was taking them most weeks, sometimes 3-4 days a week.
I was taking huge quantities, normally 15+ spread over a week. (I have taken 25+ a few times)
I know a lot of people will say there is no way I was taking so much, but maybe I was just getting crappy pills (Ireland) so they didnt contain as much MDMA as pills in other countries. I have no reason to lie because I am trying to get some help.

I was also taking some speed and occasionally coke.

I haven't taken any drugs for around 2 years now but I think I have caused permanent damage in regards to serotonin specifically.

I have been on antidepressants for around a year now (Effexor 225mg right now).

I wanted to know if anyone can give me some more insight into the brain repairing itself after so much abuse and if there is anything I can take to help.

For a start, i'd say get off the SSRI (or SNRI, cant remember which one effexor is). It's gonna be messing with your serotonin even more. Might be worth checking out this thread, on prevention of amphetamine neurotoxicity.

Are there any specific concerns that you have, like cognitive problems, memory, etc.?

Thanks for your quick reply.

It is an SNRI :)
I was on SSRIs before effexor, on effexor around 4-5 months after trying a lot of SSRIs.

I have read a lot about SNRI and SSRIs helping to repair serotonin levels and receptors...is that wrong?

My short term memory is extremely bad, so bad that a lot of people call me nemo.
I never attributed that to the drugs at the start, but its very possible (And probable) that they are the cause.

Unfortunately after I stopped taking drugs I turned to alcohol, mainly because I was feeling depressed and dis-associative, before I was always the most outgoing person in a group of friends.

I have an appointment with an alcohol abuse service next week to try get off that now also..I never get drunk, but drink to feel "normal".

I was hoping taking the ADs would make me feel normal, or at least close to it without taking the alcohol.

I want to include that the speed use was also occasional, around once every 6 weeks for 1-2 years, taking powder and base.

SSRIs aren't creating more serotonin, rather, they're stopping it being reabsorbed after it's been secreted, so you're still messing around. I'd recommend 5-HTP as it is actually converted into serotonin in the body, though as I said you might have to ask someone with more pharma knowledge.

Might be a good idea to look up nootropic supplements (the racetams are probably one of the best for this), as well as other general multivitamins (omega-3 etc.)

Well if he is still feeling kind of depressed while on the SSRI, i wouldn't say to stop it. It's not like they are serotonin releasers, just inhibitors so there is more serotonin flowing around in your brain. 5htp doesn't work that well for people and sometimes makes them feel spacey when using it for MDMA damage. You might want to lower your dose of medication slowly though, and start doing positive activities to get serotonin function back. Exercise is great for the process of restoring serotonin and feeling better about your self. Look into serotonin positive foods and fruits, and most of all don't get so caught up in these feelings. You are going to be fine : )

the problem I see with using SSRIs is you're effectively using a drug that messes with your serotonin, to fix damage done by the other serotonin drug. it's not gonna be particularly healthy in the long term.

I can't help but to weigh in.
SSRIs and SNRIs are not a 'cure' or even an effective treatment for most people.
It can be a damned miraculous treatment while taking the medication.

But I have read that about HALF of patients who take them experience worse depression after they stop taking the drug.
And this is backed up by data that shows worse HPA Axis function.
Where is the cure?

Some doctors have said that only 30% of people can be effectively treated with these drugs.
Other doctors hold the astonishing belief that since the medication seems to be effective during use, this constitutes 'effective treatment' even if the patient has to continue taking the medication for the rest of their life!
And there are people that have been on Prozac for almost 30 years...

Some will go on and off, a practice known as 'maintenance therapy'.
If this is used to control terrible withdrawal symptoms, it is justifiable....as long as complete discontinuation is ultimately achieved.
But of course the withdrawal depression, as I've said, can be WORSE than it ever was prior to taking the medication.
So these people might bounce on and off the stuff for years and years.

All of this is done with the understanding that SSRIs and SNRIs down-regulate serotonin receptors in the frontal lobes and the prefrontal cortex!
For this reason some doctors, and neurologists, consider serotonergic drugs to be quite risky or even medically arrogant.

Not only are half of patients NOT CURED of the psychological condition that lead them to the medication...
But 60-80% of them suffer loss of libido or other sexual side-effects at some point during treatment.
And I know a number of people who switched from Prozac or Zoloft onto Lexapro and immediately experienced a complete loss of ALL genital sensation and libido.
They are indeed the minority, but the damaging effect that SSRIs can have on sexuality is profound, shocking, maddening.
They can take well over two years to regain function and normal emotions!

Again - SSRIs can be very effective during usage.
Early on in treatment people often experience an incredible emotional response, including blossoming socially.
And improved sexual function - at first.
The increase in serotonin in the higher brain targets dopamine into the greatest of your cognitive and emotional circuits. The PFC is the ultimate target - not an easy goal as it is the furthest region of the brain from all the nuclei...the ancient bundles of nerves that provide both serotonin and dopamine to the rest of the brain.

SSRIs are not releasers, yet they do cause some release of serotonin.
Conversely, MDMA is primarily a releaser...but is also an agonist.

The important point is that SSRIs do not increase serotonin supply - they simply move around the existing supply to the higher brain. Over time this causes serotonin levels to FALL.
This is the reason that most SSRI users will have to escalate their dosage at least once in the first 6 months.

Pushing serotonin into the cortex actually represents an imbalance which causes the brain to respond by down-regulating receptor sites. This is ironic considering the old theory that a preexisting imbalance of serotonin is the cause of the problem.

This theory still has merit - there is plenty of data that suggests that neurotransmitter levels in different brain regions play a direct role in depression and anxiety disorders. The theory of the cause is not the problem.
The 'treatment' is.

The biggest problem with SSRIs is that they actually WORK really well, at first.
This extreme effectiveness is what makes them so tempting to use on a long-term basis.
Even while the down-regulation is occurring - the person cannot tell there is 'damage' being done because they are still feeling the effects of higher dopamine and prolactin levels.

But the adaptation that is happening can indeed be viewed as 'damage'.
Taking anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (NSAIDs) actually stop SSRIs from working.
That is because SSRIs induce inflammation in the brain!
It is part of how they work...

It is the 'withdrawal' symptoms that are most damning of all.
All the other data aside, the crippling and horrific experience that SOME patients have to endure upon quitting seems to be irrefutable evidence that the 'treatment' is a mistake.

Blackstorm - there is a little bit of good news mixed in here for you.
The fact that the medication has any effectiveness at all is a good sign.
This is actually an indication that you have surviving axons in the higher brain regions to transmit serotonin.

Yes, the medication can cause sprouting of new axons before down-regulation begins.
It can cause growth...
But many former MDMA users fail to respond to SSRI treatment at all.
And some of them report very negative effects like akathesia, increased Dp/Dr, general restlessness.....
This places them in a small minority of SSRI patients that experience the worst reactions (like 15%).
Akathesia reactions are considered a significant risk factor for suicidality!

If you are experiencing any inner feelings of restlessness, this is a sign of severe dopamine imbalance.
And it can get a lot worse.
It is a clear sign that you need to stop taking the medication ASAP.
With a tapering plan that involves your doctor!

To answer your main question - will you recover?
Honestly YES.

I have lots of experience reading MDMA research including psychological evaluations and follow-up.
I have also counseled a good twenty BL members over the last year on the matter, and heard from many others that have been there before and recovered.

Clinical symptoms tend to resolve within 12-24 months even among heavy long-term users.
Up to 3 years there is solid data that suggests a continuing deficit in endocrine and serotonin function, combined with modest verbal recall deficits.
Some BL members have claimed it takes many many years to fully recover - so research up to three years is insufficient in my opinion.

Among former SSRI users that suffer severe sexual dysfunction and emotional detachment, it is also common to see recovery occur between the 1 and 2 year marks.
This overlap strongly suggests a trend for rewiring of the brain over a semi-predictable timeline.

The reason you don't feel normal yet is because of the medication you are taking.
I PROMISE you this is the case.
SSRIs do NOT re-wire the entire network, even if they do have an influence.
And the rewiring of the whole brain is what recovery from MDMA toxicity is ALL ABOUT.

I strongly suggest that you withdraw from the medication very slowly.
And expect to suffer more, not less.
It may be several months before you detect any improvements.
And it could be another two years before you really feel recovery occurring.

You have to believe my advice and TELL your doctor what you are going to do.
Do not ask their opinion.
If they tell you that you might need to keep taking it indefinitely - find another doctor.
You have no choice here if you ever want to recover.

I have heard several opinions from other BL members in recovery from MDMA that taking an SSRI made them worse, or cost them lots of time. I recall a post long ago where someone said they lost an entire year because of it.
But eventually they did indeed recover.

The only treatment that really works is exercise.
You need to work out every day.
For the next year.
No exceptions.

I have read hundreds of studies and consulted countless people online, some of them privy to the TOP neurologists in Europe and America. They agree - SSRIs are not the treatment. There is no treatment, other than time.
And exercise.

Even healthy diet will not come close to the healing properties of tearing muscle fibers.
It will sprout new axons in the re-wiring brain-gut circuitry of yours.
Serotonin, by the way, resides in the gut and controls digestion.
It just so happens to be the most dense and intricate neurotransmitter in the brain.
Influencing countless brain functions without being directly responsible for any of them!

Let me know if you have any questions.
You have my strong advice and a sincere belief in hope.
If you support the brain, regardless of the extent of your suffering, it is very likely to recover.

Stop hindering it with foolish medications.
Get to the gym, or just do pushups every night. Lots of them.
You can do it.

FBC

Sorry but I have to go out right now but want to say thanks for the replies and I will write a reply later.

Especially thanks to FBC for such a great post, I have read the post and really appreciate you taking so much time for a great reply :)
I will reply properly once I get back later!

Thanks again

i would recommend stopping any medications you take which affect serotonin, dopamine, or norepinephrine. these chemicals were the main chemicals affected by the drugs you were taking. Next, i would look into dietary supplements for the recovery of these chemicals. the ones i can think of right now are: magnesium, calcium, milk thistle, melatonin, l-tyrosine, zinc, the B vitamins (take vitamin b5, b6, and a b complex), and CoQ10. there are probably more, but i cant think of them right now. something to keep in mind, you might have caused permanent damage to your receptors. if this is the case, you will have a hard time recovering, and you may not get a full recovery. a good thing to look at for many of these supplements at once, and more i may have forgotten to mention, is something called amphetarestore. google it to get the website. it is quite expensive, though, so you might want to look into buying them separately. hope this helps.

Here are some urls for variety of studies on the long-term effects of (ex-)MDMA users:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2505334/?tool=pubmed#S12
http://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/44/3/375.long#sec-15
http://www.maps.org/publications/2002_morgan_mj_1.pdf
http://www.maps.org/publications/2000_mcguire_1.pdf

Furthermore, abstinence from regular use of ecstasy for an average of 2 years did not reverse behavioural impulsivity or impairments in working memory or verbal recall performance. Thus, regular ecstasy users are at significant risk of protracted neuropsychological impairments.
^The degree of these effects seems to vary wildly based on usage patterns and a wide range of variables, but it seems fairly certain that heavy MDMA use results in long-term effects that haven't been shown to recover.

I abused MDMA in the early 2000's for about 3 years, taking it almost every weekend. Mostly it was pills, sometimes pure MDMA. It wasn't unusual for me to take 7-8 pills a weekend, and we're not speaking about bad pills know (obviously I've had pills that were inactive or containted something else too, mostly speed). My situation was made worse by speed, since I always took speed with MDMA. Huge amounts of speed. Sometimes also coke and meth.

After about 3 years I started to get panic attacks whenever I took any drug. The real turning point was when I was rushed to hospital after a severe panic attack with extreme tremors after smoking a hit of strong hash. That experience was so traumatic I decided I have to stop. My mind couldn't take anything anymore. Unfortunately it was too late. The panic attacks started to appear when sober and my mental breakdown was impending. First I tried to deny any problem but when I couldn't attend University lectures anymore because of severe anxiety and panic attacks I had to go to a doctor. Unfortunately this was a newly graduated doctor without any clue about mental problems, and I got prescriped citalopram and oxazepam.

There began my recovery and it was done initially only with different medicines, mostly SSRI's. None were effective. Only benzos worked and because of that I'm still addicted to benzos. I was prescribed benzos by many doctors until I finally got a good psychiatrist that realized that I've eaten tons of drugs that were ineffective and my treatment was only focused on medication.

The things that really helped me were psychotherapy and meditation. Although I have to admit my therapist was poor and I should have switched to another therapist. The psychiatric I know attend is the best I've ever had, although I only see her once every 2-3 months because I'm mostly "cured" now. I still suffer from social anxiety/phobia but what I want to say from experience is meds at best only relieve symptoms, they never cure you.

After all these year of heavy medication, I can tell you the things that have helped most are exercise and meditation. I would lie though if I would say the meds didn't help at all, benzos have been very effective but again, we're talking about permantently making your brain find the right balance. To be honest I don't know if I'll ever be totally healthy mentally because first I screwed up my neurotransmitter levels with illegal drugs and the with prescription drugs.

But I feel better than ever mentally. I graduated from University 1,5 years ago, I have a good job and I'm going to buy my own apartment this year (I had a flat for 6 years but it was on rent, now I've temporarily lived at my parents house), I've taken contact with friends again (I was almost completely alone for many years) so I'm building up my life again after all misery.

So YES, you can recover from MDMA abuse. Just don't put too much trust in meds, especially benzos or you'll end up as a benzo addict like me. Eat healthy, exercise regularly, try meditation. Meditation can feel pointless and hard in the beginning, but it does wonders for your brain, mental health and cognitive functions (memory, learning, etc)

I wouldn't recommend 5-HTP. IME it actually increases anxiety and messes up your serotonin levels. Never take it if you're on SSRI's though! It can lead to serotonin syndrome. I actually got a mild serotonin syndrome from 5-HTP alone, while I was on no other medication. The recommended 100mg before sleep was far too much for me, after 4 days I had to take sick leave from work because I got fever, severe diarrhea and vomited everything I ate. I could only drink small amounts of water. 5-HTP is a very strong amino acid that can mess you up really bad. Also, I got cardiac dysrythmia while taking 5-HTP.

Eat healthy, get enough sleep (melatonin can be good if you have problems with sleep, but don't mess with sleep meds), exercise regularly, meditate. That's my advice.

i would recommend stopping any medications you take which affect serotonin, dopamine, or norepinephrine. these chemicals were the main chemicals affected by the drugs you were taking. Next, i would look into dietary supplements for the recovery of these chemicals. the ones i can think of right now are: magnesium, calcium, milk thistle, melatonin, l-tyrosine, zinc, the B vitamins (take vitamin b5, b6, and a b complex), and CoQ10.

L-Tyrosine is very effective but should be used with caution (the same goes for 5-HTP, which I wouldn't recommend). L-Tyrosine messed up my heart, so start with very low doses. It increases the blood pressure considerably if taken in too large amounts. Also, take vitamin B6 and vitamin C together with L-Tyrosine for better absorption, it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier easily and should be taken on an empty stomach (2-3 hours after eating).

I would also add Taurine to the list. It's great for the heart and has a calming effect.