Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

60 Minutes story on Ecstasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthomson

Greenlighter
Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm in the very early stages of working on a story about ecstasy in light of recent debates about reclassifying the drug in the UK.

I'm trying to find some people, over 18, who would be happy to talk about their experiences with the drug.

If you would like to talk to me, just on the phone at this stage, please email me. Your privacy will be respected at all times.

Thanks so much,

[email protected]

^ just to clarify;this is for a story for the australian current affairs show 60 minutes?

yeah go ahead go fall for the dodgey media blah blah, what ever u say to him will be twisted and he'll probably make u look like a full on vein smacking junkie, when you are just an average everyday joe that uses e's every now and again to have some fun :)

OR you are like me where every weekend use is the norm too lol :p

god damn scat monday today lol!!!!

This thread has been approved by the administrators and is a genuine request from a specific area of the Australian media. I implore you to take this seriously as poorly thought out responses against the media may ultimately have a negative impact on the goals of this site.

Just like your Mum used to say - If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all!!!!!

It would be great if some admins and people such as phase dancer be included in this as we actually might get the HR out there & make a difference.. thats if it's not cut & edited like we are to blame as expected & crap like we usually get from the media , especially with the death of the young girl at the big day out in perth which will be the main subject of the 60 minutes story ...

and this is why we have a producer from 60 mins asking for comments.. :(

It's VERY hard to trust the media because all they care about is ratings ... and illegal drugs are topic they can use against us here on bluelight ... :(

It would be great if some admins and people such as phase dancer be included in this as we actually might get the HR out there & make a difference.. thats if it's not cut & edited like we are to blame as expected & crap like we usually get from the media , especially with the death of the young girl at the big day out in perth which will be the main subject of the 60 minutes story ...

Kthomson: This is a hard story to run given the market position of your program compared the week day tabloid style program that would take the easy way out and exploit EVIL EVIL EVIL... but the reality is this is our kids what can we do to help and understand them.

B:’ers: I think this is an opportune time to discuss the way that the tax payers money are being spent fighting the war on drugs and possibly looking at better ways of doing so and getting exposure to a mainstream audience.

Eg:
We should be funding not a war but fuelling education, harm minimisation and legal reform.. such as If you are admitted to hospital be it overdose injury whilst on drugs anything else you’re treated with the highest respect and given the rights of anonymity and privacy but if you are caught possessing a minimal amount of a substance you have to be dragged through the legal system. Maybe the legal battle ground shouldn’t be battled at the gates of a festival but behind the wheel. 30 years ago drink driving was socially accepted...

We should also be looking at the attitudes that the generations have had to different drugs when they were in their hey-day.. (eg Pot in the 70's and 80’s) and relate this to the current generation of Tweenies.. Even if the program has no other purpose but to educate parents out there that their innocent children might be taking drugs... so let’s look after them while they do so as they are going to find their drug of choice and participate in helping them in making the right decisions. I remember when I was a kid dads advice to me was “If you are to drink at this party you should drink beer not sprits, Then you’ll be right son”. To look at building a modern perspective becoming “take it easy at the festival and if you do decide to do drugs don’t be the messed up one just have one pill and in portions over the whole day”

kthomson: please feel free to PM me for more discussion.

60 Minutes is a program that is void of journalistic integrity. Proceed with caution and the type of PR gusto typical of politicians.

EDIT: Although it is fascinating to see the sort of monitoring done on this site. Not only police, but media as well.

Hi kthomson,

Can you expand on what you're looking for? Just Australians, presumably, or would you be interested in speaking to others? Are you hoping to have people appear on camera at any stage, or would you be quoting their words, or what? (Not essential to answer, I'm just curious).

I'd also like to echo what lil angel said, and also remind everyone not to claim to speak for BL. kthomson, you apparently already know who to talk to, should you want anything official from us. Good luck with the story :)

[btw Pistachio; there's been media coverage of this site since before I joined, basically since the site started]

This thread has been approved by the administrators and is a genuine request from a specific area of the Australian media. I implore you to take this seriously as poorly thought out responses against the media may ultimately have a negative impact on the goals of this site.

Just like your Mum used to say - If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all!!!!!

lil angel taking that into account i will forgo my planned scathing inditment of contemporary current affairs programs (which unfortunately 60mins is now but an hour long version of its other two brethren , ie tt, aca).

Whilst an opportunity to legitemently discuss the benefits of harm reduction in a media forum should (generally) be grabbed with both hands i will finish with this warning

bl'erS ; BEWARE A WOLF IN SHEEPS'S CLOTHING!!!!!

I can see the story title "talk with evil drugged up crazy e users. Think of your children". Still its better in the long run if someone talks for the E users. Mr Blonde, im pointing at you.

Contact phase dancer and Dr Caldicott.

Ohhh and please mention how the police ignored warning after warning about sniffer dogs and got someone killed

Last edited:
c'mon guys - you're actually giving him enough right now for an opinion to be formed!

headlines "crazy on-line e-tards respond with abuse!"

;)

abusing our best friends the reporters wont help btw. perhaps if an agreement could be made that anyone who does participate could view exactly what will be aired concerning them to ensure nothing is taken out of context and then give consent

Is it any wonder there's skepticism about reporters? Sensationalist journalism sells far more than factual journalism and IMHO is whats wrong with so many things in this world not just the bad rap 'drugs' have. Having said that I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt but the track record's pretty one-sided.

Before i'd even consider contacting you, however, i'd like to hear more about the direction of the story and how any information supplied will be used (like Infinite Jest says). Then we can talk about my fee...

And please ignore anyone that gives you grief (at least until the story runs) - they're unlikely to be ecstasy users anyway.

(also, are you male or female?)

I just unapproved 7 posts in this thread from one or two posters.

You guys were asked nicely to behave yourselves. Please do. Posts like those would do far more to hurt your image than anything that a reporter could write.

I do want to point out that anyone participating shouldn't expect to get permission to approve the final story. No-one gets that (except big movie stars, where the publication has to keep them happy). Think about it, if the subject of a story got to approve it, we'd never see stories that exposed paedophile priests, or dodgy politicians.

It is Kirsty Thomson from 60 Minutes.

I think this is a good chance for sensible individuals to express their opinions and justify their actions. I do not believe this will be a sensationalist report....Lets not forget the catalyst for this article is the recent publication that suggests MDMA should be reclassified.

Maybe...just maybe...this is a glimmer of hope that there are still intelligent and open individuals our there.

Oh they gonna make mdma legal?

One thing i dont understand is why is it banned in the first place? There are other substances like tabacco and alcohol that are way more dangerous. Pls explain someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.