Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

6-APB aka "benzo fury" and drug tests

BJH

Greenlighter
Just picked up a few caps of this stuff and wondering if it shows up in a drug test? My workplace uses the standard test which detects coc/thc/bdz/meth/opiates. The nickname makes me think it might show up in the bdz panel but they let me get away with that because of my medication, besides the info I've read doesn't say there is even any benzo in it.

You need to do a bit more research before you delve into the mysterious world of Research Chemicals champ ;) erowid and the other forums here on BL are a good place to start. It's not a good idea to be ingesting very new substances you know very little about. The toxicity of many of these new psychoactive substances is speculative at best.

The (marketing) term "benzo fury" is a misleading one and quite honestly should not be used at all. The name was 'coined' due to 6-APB containing a Benzofuran ring in it's chemical structure IIRC ? perhaps some of the more knowledgable members can confirm / provide more detail.

I'm not very familiar with 6-APB unfortunately, but as with most drug screening the metabolites of the substance are what you have to worry about. It's a wild guess but I'd assume the differences in chemical structure would require a seperate test from common panel. Sorry I can't give you a direct answer, but it's a start :)

We generally don't allow drug testing questions, but since this is a novel compound with not much information out there, and a topic that I and I'm sure many others would like to know more about, I'm going to leave this open. Hopefully someone here has some info for us... or will volunteer to dose and then take a drug test from a pharmacy?

My hunch is that since it is so similar to MDA, then like that substance it will come up positive for amphetamine. I mean, just look at these two structures:

6-APB
NSFW:
6-APB_structure.png

MDA
NSFW:
MDA-2D-skeletal.svg

Unless that benzofuran ring messes up the testing mechanism, I'm betting that you will test positive for amphetamine.

Honestly mate I've got no idea when I look at those diagrams, also I can't see the second one. In layman's terms how similar is it to amphetamine?

You got 6-apb in caps? I'd be very careful as most of the vendors I know of do not sell 6-apb in caps. I know substance identification isn't allowed but 6-apb has a fairly unique smell, could you elaborate a bit on where, without naming sources, you actually got these caps from?

Last edited:
^ That's a very borderline question there... I think we can assume they were made overseas and were either bought on the international market place or otherwise obtained there and brought here. I think the smell and taste might be more important info.

BJH said:
Honestly mate I've got no idea when I look at those diagrams, also I can't see the second one. In layman's terms how similar is it to amphetamine?

Strange, it still works for me... anyway, they are very similar. Take the MDA molecule, take off two atoms (a carbon and an oxygen), throw them away and make a stronger bond in their place and that's it. If you go to the wikipedia pages for both of them, you will see from the molecular structures they are near identical. Obviously this is enough to give them different effects, but I don't think it's enough to get past drug testing since MDA comes up as amphetamine.

Also, something I just realized is that even though it may turn up positive in a urine or saliva test for amphetamines, when it comes to a GC/MS it will definitely have different retention time and fragmentation though it may not be that different given how similar they are chemically.

TL;DR: They are extremely similar, though under further analysis of a sample they may not recognize 6-APB for what it is. Don't take my word for it though, and be careful. You can always pick up a drug test from most pharmacies and try it out on that to see if it comes up positive.

There have been reports of it testing positive for amphetamines via urine and saliva tests.

You should go into any research chemical experience expecting it to test positive to whatever it is an analogue for to be on the safe side anyway.

@Sameria, yeah the name comes from the benzofuran, pretty misleading and stupid marketing gimmick calling it Benzo Fury.

You got 6-apb in caps? I'd be very careful as most of the vendors I know of do not sell 6-apb in caps. I know substance identification isn't allowed but 6-apb has a fairly unique smell, could you elaborate a bit on where, without naming sources, you actually got these caps from?
I'm not sure where he gets it from, but I do know he's imported other designer drugs from overseas (not sure if I'm allowed to say which country) so I can only assume this is the same sorta deal. I'm also assuming he gets the powder and puts it in caps himself, like he does with the other stuff I've bought from him.

It does show up as amphetamine and I am 100% positive about this, and so is my pee for amphetamine lol sorry I'm a decade late to be of any help tho haha