• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc 5HTP/safety/interactions

scorpion91

Greenlighter
I've been taking 5HTP for anxiety and panic issues since last fall. It hasn't been consistent let me point out: early September 2014-early January 2015 I took it nearly every day and it did help out with anxiety and mild depression a bit. Though, it did lower my appetite slightly by 5-10% but other than that, I was okay. However, I have had weird issues with my anxiety, interactions with other substances, and 5HTP. Let me explain:

I did smoke some bud while I took it, but that was in late October-December when I chilled with my friends but different strains had different levels of anxiety for me.

Alcohol. I know I was at a party, I had a shot and a bit of beer and had smoked bud but I didn't have no major anxiety attacks. That was in late October 2014.

Early November I have palpitations that last a week and anxiety. I wasn't sure what the hell was causing it and it was freeking me the fuck out. So I went to the ER, the ER doc had ordered a EKG and blood work done. EKG showed "right axis deviation" as the abnormality, my pulse was okay it was 84; blood pressure was 137 over something I forgot. My blood work was okay except for a creatine kinseae(CK) was at 600 which was a bit high for dudes my age: I'm 23. I was somewhat dehydated and the ER doc had gave me some IV a bit. The ER doc had asked me, if I had been exercising hard recently and drinking cafeine. I did say,yes because I had been working out a bit hard one day with my bro at the gym.

After that, I did take the 5HTP and smoked a bit and did drink a bit, but I didn't have any palpitation/anxiety issues like I did in Nov for a while.

Early January 2015, I was dealing with some bullshit and had some elevated anxiety issues. I wasn't sure what was causing it, and I had been debating if it was the 5HTP or stress or other shit. I wasn't sure, I was taking 100mg of 5HTP at the time, and I had assumed it was serotonin syndrome. Though, I've been told by people that 50-100mg 5HTP cannot cause serotin syndrome. So from early January till June I did not take 5HTP.

I did smoke bud with my bros from January till May, I did have some off and on panic attacks with certain strains like I've said previously. I did drink and I didn't have no panic issues or anything. Though, April 2015 I started to have elevated palpitations and anxiety. I didn't know what the fuck was causing it.

I went to my doc and an EKG was done at the office.I had a sinus arrythmia,but she had said it wasn't life threatening(it wasn't a sign of a stroke or heart attack), though I did have some odd symptoms like I was having on(light headed, dizzy, palpitations, neck pressure). Though, these symptoms came and went. It was anxiety, because they happened at certain times though. I didn't have issues like this at parties I went to with my bros. My doc had referred me to a cardio doc in May and I did go.

The cardio doc had ordered a stress echo and holter. Stress echo showed a slighy tachy w/ anxiety, the stress echo was fine. He did write a Rx for beta blocker but he had said "as needed". I haven't taken them or filled that Rx though. Though, even with the clean bill of health I got from my cardio doc, I had random palpitations and anxiety issues from May-June. It took a while until I bought 100mg 5HTP, that my anxiety slowly decreased.

I didn't really drink that much during the summer because I was doing an internship for my school(I'm a grad student), so I had infrequently hanged out with my bros. Last month, my friend and his girl and I had a few swigs from some vodka and tequilla bottles. I had took my 5HTP in the morning that day around 11am, but I had hanged out with them at night around 8pm so I recall when I was in my friend's car, I had a few swings, that I had some elevated anxiety but it wasn't so bad. Some slight palpitations and some shakes, but it wasn't like a really bad panic attack.

Flashfoward a month later(August)

I still have panic attacks somewhat in different variations of the day. Factors in anxiety issues: I had a summer internship, bullshit family issues.

On Thursday, I move back to the area near my university. I did take 100mg of 5HTP during the morning(about 9 or 10AM). I had went out to a bar near my college and chilled. I had one beer and I had some random panic attack like I had smoked some strong dank shit. I had felt a strong palpitation, lightheaded, brief short of breath for a second. I had freaked the fuck out and closed my tab and went back to my place to chill. I thought maybe it was the heat(it's summer), so I went back to my apprtment and watched some netflix and ordered a pizza. I felt a bit better slightly. So I went back to the bar about 1 1/2 hour later. I had about 2 drink or so , and felt the same anxiety symptoms with some variation. It had freaked me out a bit, so I left.

Yesterday,

I broke up a 5htp(50mg) but only put bits of it in a plastic cup. It wasn't a lot of it I put. I did that around 8am. I did have some anxiety issues during the day, but it fluctuates like usual. I had felt good to during the afternoon somewhat, I had texted up one of my buddies I know at the bar that I was coming. I went to the bar, I had ordered some pizza at first. I had assumed,maybe if I eat something it would help with the anxiety. Though I had some anxiety while I was eating. I had tried to brush it away, and took my time eating. I had ordered one beer at first, and drank and I felt that wierd ass anxiety symptoms. Though the anxiety symptoms appeared to fluclate somewhat like a pendulum. Though, the palpitation and the elevated blood pressure feeling and dizzy and pressure feeling had scared me. I had closed my tab and went back to my appartment. The panic attack went off and on when I went back to my place till 10pm or so.

I do not know, what the fuck caused that massive panic attack on Thursday or Friday nights. I theorize, it could've been the 5HTP though I was cautious to have at least a gap of 6 hours of taking it prior to drinking. I didn't take the 5HTP within an hour of deciding to go to the bar. I do not know if I'm having generic anxiety that's triggered by alcohol or what.

I've used to take ativan a few years back, I'd take it during the day time but I didn't have any issues when I went out during the night and drank at a bar like the past two days.

I'm not an alcoholic or insane or suicidal , I'm clearing this shit up beforehand.

I just wanted an opinion from some of the dudes here, if the issue with 5HTP and alcohol is an anxiety issue or some interaction with the alcohol.Then again, why the hell didn't these issues happen during the fall, when I was smoking and drinking and taking 5htp.

I know people have said that if you take this during the day and wait at least 6 hours to drink and don't get too fucked up, your in the clear. But I don't get, why the hell did I get extremly high panic attacks last nights and Thursday.

Could it be stress or some interaction with the 5HTP. If it's the 5HTP, do you guys know of an anxiety supplement that does not interact with alcohol and has few or no side effects.

Last edited:
A lot of this probably can be attributed to anxiety.

I've noticed before that 5-htp can also have some weird interactions however. 5-htp taken in the morning, I notice I get some weird dull chest pains specifically if I smoke weed on it, later in the day. This may be attributed to anxiety as well, I have had several ekg's done and my heart appears to be fine, and I have a holter-monitor 24h test and an electrocardiograph test schedueled for later this month. I seem to have pretty consistent dull chest pains so it's always something on my mind and all of this may just be me hypochondriacing over my heart.

I've also noticed that taking 5-htp with kratom can give me some weird chest feelings as well.

I think at the end of the day, a lot of this can be contributed to anxiety, and I also do not think one should take 5-htp every day. It has been shown to actually pretty strongly supplement serotonin in the brain, and there are questions on whether or not consistently consuming 5-htp can increase gut serotonin to a point of danger. Also, there have been some possible cardiac complications linked to extended use 5-htp.

Personally, like everything in life, moderation is key, and it should be supplemented, in my opinion, a maximum of 3 times a week into your rotation of supplements.

Last edited:
@pbuilder.

I appreciate the reply man. I had heard some mixed shit about 5HTP and alcohol. Most people have said that the general rule of thumb when taking 5HTP and alcohol, is to wait at least 6 hours after taking 5htp to drink alcohol. I did that for both days, but I had some fucked up panic attacks.

Is there any other natural anxiety supplement's that are safe and don't interact with alcohol. I was just wondering. I read something last night about passion flower.

@pbuilder.

I appreciate the reply man. I had heard some mixed shit about 5HTP and alcohol. Most people have said that the general rule of thumb when taking 5HTP and alcohol, is to wait at least 6 hours after taking 5htp to drink alcohol. I did that for both days, but I had some fucked up panic attacks.

Is there any other natural anxiety supplement's that are safe and don't interact with alcohol. I was just wondering. I read something last night about passion flower.

chamomile, hops, passionflower, valerian root, kava kava (be careful with mixing this one with alcohol, and do not use consistently, possible hepatoxicity).

The best of those is probably valerian root and kava kava, they are essentually the equivelent of very weak benzos. Kava can actually be relatively potent, just remember, everything in moderation, don't take anything daily imo, rotate.

Okay. I don't want to try kava kava then. I know I read somewhere that passion flower doesn't have any interactions with alcohol. I do not know, what you would recommend though bro.