Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5HTP on an empty stomach

syntech

Bluelighter
just wondering if anyone knows why i felt incredibly sick from having 5HTP on an empty stomach?

i spewed and i know thats cos my stomach couldnt handle two caps of the stuff bursting together....but i also felt really dizzy and light headed, almost like i was peaking.
and i never feel like this the other times i've spewed.

i was reading some stuff on Seratonin Syndrome and i was wondering if it might be a mild case of that or something....mainly cos i had the 5HTP only about 3 hours after i came down.

thanx for any info u have for me!

Take it with b-group vitamins (berocca is good ;)) and don't take it on an empty stomach. I reckon just hitting the sustagen sport hard for a few days after a big night out gives me the same effect as 5-htp, and it's cheaper too! :)

Can't say I know why, but it's like that with all supplements, they don't go well on an empty stomach, just 5HTP is much worse than any others. Personally I only take it when i'm going to bed, means I don't have to deal with the nausea.

Stomach upsets are likely to be at least partially due to 5HTP being decarboxylated into serotonin while in the stomach. The stomach and GI tract has 5HT3 receptors.

More about this can be found on other threads on this forum. Try searching! You'll find some ideas on preventing tummy upsets, and possibly an explanation as to how this works.

Not all supplements are bad on an empty stomach some must be taken on an empty stomach i.e some amino acids e.g L-Tyrosine, L-Phenylalanine etc

OMG! It sounds like you get the same thing as me!

If I take it when im coming down, I find that i get a bit of an upset stomach too for a little while, but I havent actually spewed.

Also, I shit you not, but it makes me feel like im peaking again! I can be sitting down, feeling mostly strait after a night out then when i have some of the good old 5htp, 40 or so mins later, i feel smashed again! Its great, its like a free pill! But yeah... u just gotta deal with the upset stomach thing.

Oh and I only feel like im peaking off the stuff again if Ive had pills that night, otherwise, it just makes me tired which is why I stick to taking it before bed.

My theory: the mdma is still in my system so when i get a recharge of seratonin (after taking 5htp) the mdma sort of gets back into action again because im giving my brain back what it had already depleated.

Anyone else out there experience the same kinda thing before?

Why is it that people are sounding shocked that 5htp will make you feel like your are peaking on MDMA?
Your are rebuilding the seratonin, the "happy" chemicals in your brain.
Its all relevant.

If Im not wrong, I think that the average adult dose for 5htp is no more than 100mg in 24 hours?
Anymore than that and its really no wonder that you can feel very ill and also risk seratonin syndrome, which from what I have been told can be very dangerous.

Further to phase_dancer's point, I would suspect that if you take 5HTP with food, one of the reasons it doesn't upset your stomach is because you actually absorb less of it. Ideally all amino acids should be taken on an empty stomach, so they are transported to the bloodstream, without having to compete with other amino acids. Taking 5HTP with a carb (which is naturally higher in tryptophan versus other amino acids) might be a better way to get more absorption.

I personally never take more than 100 - 150mg of 5HTP at a time - the more you take in a dose the more irritating it will be. Splitting doses (ie: smaller doses more frequently) would be preferable to taking 1 or 2 larger doses.

You could try taking 100mg before bed if you experience nausea when eating 5-HTP during the day. That way you sleep through any stomach upset, and bonus - your brain is 'better at making serotonin' when you're asleep.

BigTrancer :)

^^
ta for all that.
we usually just use it when we're gonna be havin bickies the next night too, hence why i take them in the day. i dont usually have problems with comedowns.

and what Dvah said, i kinda figured that....its just u think its not gonna do all that much and then when it does. and i dream SO much after i take it.

5HTP dreams are the best!
Im a vivid dreamer anyway, but I swear I could write a book of weird and crazy dreams I have had after taking 5htp before bed!
My honest opinion when it comes to 5htp use, is that its not something that we should be "needing" to take on a daily basis, serotonin is something that is naturally produced, so unless you are depleting it through using MDMA, then I don't really see that there should be a need for it, although I know of ppl that have used it for weight lost as it suppresses the craving for carbs apparently, and it has also been used to treat mild depression, but personally I think "if its not broke, don't fix it"