PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mushrooms Subthread] Extraction

sparkle_jez

Ex-Bluelighter
Welcome To the Mushrooms Subthread on Extraction

[Link to Big & Dandy Mushrooms Thread]

More recent post on the subject formulating a more complete question on the topic of extraction of mushrooms to
yield alkaloid mixtures, or even - if possible - pure psiloc(yb)in.

Let's say I had a good quantity of psilocybes, how best would I extract the psilocybin and psilocin (I know psilocin will likely degrade and the yield of it will be fairly low since it is fairly delicate)? I was looking at various sources and some say alcohol extraction, but some sources say that they are insoluble in alcohol (Shulgin says it's nearly insoluble in boiling ethanol, which I assume has a higher psilo solubility than room temp ethanol).

Ideally, I'd like something extremely potent, and more importantly, portable.
I'm traveling overseas in a few months, and I'd like to bring some over, but bringing dried mushies on a plane seems like a bad idea. A small container of extract seems much easier to conceal.
In addition, I get terrible nausea from booms. Every mushroom trip I've ever taken, I've either thrown up or had a terrible time because I was fighting the nausea the whole time, so I want to try purer extract without the nasty mushroom material.

I've also read that water extraction works, but it requires high temps, which I'm afraid will degrade the active chemicals.

I've heard of people extracting relatively pure psilo crystals and seen pics in a tek, but they seem too good to be true (which, in my experience, means it is)
http://deoxy.org/wiki/Mushrooms/Alkaloid_Extraction
shows extremely pure looking crystals
http://www.seanet.com/~rwmcpherson/mycoalki.htm
shows a solution which also seems to be fairly pure (look at the precip)

[original post:]

This is a bit of an odd question, and i'm not expecting too many replies since i doubt very people have actually attempted this, however i could be wrong!

So, a friend of mine is thinking of attempting an extraction of the alkaloids from professionally grown fresh cubensis magic mushrooms.
What he'd end up with would be these alkaloids in HCL form (with some messing about).

Why do this?

Well, just for the sake of experimenting with the pure psychoactive constituents of mushrooms to see if it's any different to the real mushroom experience.

Also, we are toying with the idea of snorted Psilocybin HCL, and possibly other routes of adminsitration (IM).

Has anybody else tried pure psilocybin/cin or baeocystin? Could you describe the effects, dose and alittel bit about the experience? Could you also give a brief account of the extraction method you used also?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The effects are the same as with the mushrooms. There isn't anything else in there in large enough amounts to affect you, really. I do not get any nausea from it this way, though.

You can get nice crystals pretty easily extracting dry powdered mushroom material with isopropanol, filtering, and slowly crystalizing.

I would not inject anything you aren't 110% certain contains no fungal protiens, though.

I've always just left it as the base as I was going to eat it immediately afterwards, it crystallizes nicely (the freebase isn't an oil or anything), and I am lazy.

Its not going to be pure unless you use chromatography or something. You'll get a mix of psilocin, psilocybin, beocystine, nor-beocystine, etc and to a far lesser degree probably DMT and an extremely small amount of tryptamine... basically any alkaloids which might happen to be in the mushroom at the time you extract.

Last edited:
/\ Would freebase psilocybin/cin and/or baeocystin be smokeable? That could be interesting. I doubt it, else wouldn't someone else have tried it?

thanks fizzacyst!

Have you ever tried 'insufflated' crystalised extract??

Any idea on how you would dose on this (obviously much lower)???

And yes, i'm also interested in the possibility of smoking it in freebase form, though I doubt very much the alkaloids could handle the high temperatures being so unstable.

Isn't methanol the choice solvent for Psilocin/Psilocybin extractions?

There's a few Teks on Erowid that give simple directions for an extraction.

I used isopropanol because its much easier to get it dry and evaporates easily. You can buy it at 97% at the drug store or wherever, and get rid of the water with baked epsom salts. Methanol would work. Ethanol would work too.

Lots of things would work, but alcohols are pretty effective and easy to get, and much safer than stuff like DCM or chlorofom should you breathe some vapors.

I'm not really interested in insufflating it. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy (I like the transition from sober -> mushroom high).

I never weighed doses or anything either, as I'd just extract a single dose at a time right before I took it. After a couple runs I quit doing this.. just not worth the effort to me. I might do it again some time, but only with a couple ounces or so of mushroom material.

You can find dosages for psilocin on erowid, but bear in mind they will be a little off from your extract due to its composition.

Last edited:
I have done a few extractions myself, and just like Fizz said - if you are going to do this, make sure to use a lot of mushrooms. It's not worth the time & effort for just one dose. The final base that you get when it's all done & said is nice, it's like having LSD. No nasty mushroom eating or any of that. You have to know how to eye a dose, though, but you'll learn that very quick lol

fizzacyst said:
Its not going to be pure unless you use chromatography or something. You'll get a mix of psilocin, psilocybin, beocystine, nor-beocystine, etc and to a far lesser degree probably DMT and an extremely small amount of tryptamine... basically any alkaloids which might happen to be in the mushroom at the time you extract.

I know this thread is old, but there are traces of DMT in mushrooms?

Psilocin is 4-hydroxy-dmt. So dmt is its direct precursor in the fungus. I don't know how fast the whole process is or what step is limiting in the synthesis, but surely if you stop it in the middle of its business and pull everything out there would be some tiny amount there.

I can't say for sure though. You could probably find data on mushroom contents if you dug around.

I would imagine that you could smoke the extracted freebase. It might not be as efficient as oral consumption, but if you freebased it carefully it would be much easier to vaporize the compound without destroying it, as opposed to setting a mushroom on fire.

Intoxo said:
I would imagine that you could smoke the extracted freebase. It might not be as efficient as oral consumption, but if you freebased it carefully it would be much easier to vaporize the compound without destroying it, as opposed to setting a mushroom on fire.

I always wondered about this. Wouldn't this give almost a DMT-ish high if you smoke it?
An alcohol extraction of a bunch of mushrooms sure is easier than an A/B extraction of a harder and more expensive to get DMT containing plant..
Also snorting it would be very intresting in the least..

I HAVE TO DO THIS 8o

I've read a few trip reports of vaporized psilocybe extractions. It was described more like a DMT trip than orally ingested mushrooms.

Could you produce any links that talk about vaporized Psilocybin/Psilocin?

say if a SWIM's friend of a friend's dog's mom could make some 4-AcO-DMT, as the freebase would this be decently stable or should it be made into the HCl salt?

I'd also be very curious about getting ahold of a little 4-AcO-NMT... only a few have tried pure baeocystin and said it was like psilocybin, but then again Shulgin thinks things like 4-HO-DiPT are like psilocin etc.. i think obviously there would be a difference, and I wonder what its like? Would be nice to get some 4-AcO-NMT to play around with.

Last edited:
Oh also, if you used anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to dissolve (to measure for example) 4-aco-dmt would it degrade much? like a small amount (pick up 91% isopropyl from the store and add salt to make it anhydrous?) if maybe kept cold / away from light? Or maybe only keep it in sol. long enough to measure and get it out ASAP... (if one were to have 4-AcO-DMT theoretically of course..) and evaporate it on something for a measured dose. (just wouldn't want much of it degrading into psilocin..)

^^ I was under the impression that the extra group on psilocin has no effect? And that different effects between different kinds of mushrooms due to different psilocybin : psilocin ratios, is a load of bullcrap..

Coolio said:
I've read a few trip reports of vaporized psilocybe extractions. It was described more like a DMT trip than orally ingested mushrooms.
Maybe because psilocin is 4-HO-DMT? I think mushrooms would be closer to DMT orally than an ayahuasca experience is, the MAOI definitely changes the trip...

^^ low dose mushrooms to me, is very much like an oral DMT trip (lowish dose also). Both of them have that natural, fluidity to them, increased coordination clear head stuff (changes with high doses of each, i mean, heh, the clear headedness thing).

I wonder if (i mean theoretically if someone had some..) 4-acetoxy-DMT will have that slower come up/last longer than psilocin, i would guess so. A theoretical person who had such a substance would probably try smoking some (freebase form) and compare it to DMT.

As for baeocystin / 4-HO-NMT / 4-AcO-NMT, i'm really curious about this one... it would maybe finally answer some questions about variations with mushrooms, some obviously major variations between some subjectively experienced..

Wonder if just 4-acetoxy-tryptamine would be active too.. (and if this would be one of the starting precursors to the -NMT or -DMT ones..)