• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids 500mg diacetylmorphine ascorbate in solution. How long before it begins to hydrolyse?

Morphoid

Bluelighter
Just a quick one, I can see other threads on the subject but no clarity. I would be so grateful for a precise answer or at least something to help me calculate.

I have just made up a ~500mg/3mL solution of heroin freebase (heated with water + ascorbic acid) and sealed it in a sterile vial. I had to do this so that over the next few days I would have quick and immediate access to a pre-cooked solution as there will be no time for safe cooking up of individual bags.

Now, risks of bacterial contamination and such aside (I am aware of the risks and have done everything I can to minimise them), how long/over what timeframe will the heroin in my solution hydrolyse into morphine? For example, over the next 24 hours, how much of the ~500mg of diamorphine ascorbate will change into morphine due to it being in an aqeous solution?

• Solution will be at room temperature and undisturbed.
  • Acidity is at the minimum required for the heroin to dissolve.
  • It will not be exposed to sunlight.

Would greatly appreciate some input from chemists. Many thanks in advance!

not a chemist at all (also hello fellow Brit! south london here), but i recall people on here talking about how diamorph degrades very fast and is really not good to leave lying about due to (as you mentioned) various foreign contaminants..

spz for the platitudes but if i were you - which i'm not - i'd just cook each time.
farm fresh eggs etc etc

you stay safe lad

I'd freeze the solution ASAP. The forming ice crystals will force the diacetylmorphine from solution and the low temperature will hinder further reaction.

I think my research concluded not much over 24 hours less than 10%,but a few days or so it gets bad. Keeping it cold will help frozen for longer term storage maybe in single dose containers.

It starts to degrade right away, I think the half life was something like 18 hours under ideal conditions, so after 18 hours only 50% remains as diacetyl... of course the hydrolysis products are still quite active :)

It's best if used ASAP, but it should keep for at least 24 hours, possibly up to 3 days if you want to push your luck. Keep it cold for best results.

Heroin hydrolysis products are just morphine?? (loss of potency 50% ish) or are there and intermediates like monoacetylates?

It starts to degrade right away, I think the half life was something like 18 hours under ideal conditions, so after 18 hours only 50% remains as diacetyl... of course the hydrolysis products are still quite active :)

It's best if used ASAP, but it should keep for at least 24 hours, possibly up to 3 days if you want to push your luck. Keep it cold for best results.

Leaving a dissolved solution of BTH left at room temperature overnight allowed it to more or less fully change into morphine or degrade into something else (or whatever BTH does).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tpd how do you know that? Did you have it tested in a lab to confirm? Or is it that you thought it felt like Morphine?

If you can freeze it, that should substantially increase its shelf life.